Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear coat

G8chick

Question

So I was told that my G8 has a soft clear coat.. Which I fully believe! Think I already have some scratches or swirls coming in.. It's my DD. but what type of clear coat does a 2007 monte Carlo ss have? Soft as well or harder? Just so we know what to do it's a dd as well, I'm going to be tackling it soon

13 answers to this question

Its all about the same IMO.

GM has remained fairly consistent with their clear coat hardness since the early 2000's. Even the newer water based clears correct about the same, though they do seem to be a tad less 'rock chip resistant' than previous years.

The one exception to the rule is Corvettes. For whatever reason the clear on them is hard as rock! Might have more to do with the fact they're fiberglass cars than anything else.

Its all about the same IMO.

GM has remained fairly consistent with their clear coat hardness since the early 2000's. Even the newer water based clears correct about the same, though they do seem to be a tad less 'rock chip resistant' than previous years.

The one exception to the rule is Corvettes. For whatever reason the clear on them is hard as rock! Might have more to do with the fact they're fiberglass cars than anything else.

I'd like to hope that it and the Corvettes are better due to the "prestige" they have or are meant to have. I'd hope they'd at least put more coats of clear than say a Chevy Malibu or the ever so awesome Sonic! I'd like to think you get more than a big engine and suspension and brakes. :o I'd put Caddy in that same field.

Thats not how it works though... the paint on a black base trim LS tahoe for $30k is going to identical to the paint on a fully loaded escalade at $80k.

I suspect that the corvette is harder due to whatever paints they use to compensate for the heat issues. Fiberglass holds a ton of absorbed heat, it also flexes much more than steel or aluminum so the paint would have to be more resistant to flexing. There might also be issues with how its primed/painted to get proper adhesion, but I'm only speculating.

Thats not how it works though... the paint on a black base trim LS tahoe for $30k is going to identical to the paint on a fully loaded escalade at $80k.

I know and it's BS! You buy a Porsche or MB or BMW and you DO get a better finish.

Chris

I suspect that the corvette is harder due to whatever paints they use to compensate for the heat issues. Fiberglass holds a ton of absorbed heat, it also flexes much more than steel or aluminum so the paint would have to be more resistant to flexing. There might also be issues with how its primed/painted to get proper adhesion, but I'm only speculating.

base Tahoe is $43K IIRC, lol

$38k base price MSRP... but who pays sticker for anything?

$87k loaded Esky hybrid.

Sorry, but if I had 87 G's to spend, I wouldn't buy the Caddy. Unless I needed a bus, but even then, I'd buy the Yukon XL.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Maybe I'll just hit it with SH remover, the FMP then sealant.. I don't think he's goina be washing it with a wash mitt so I don't want to put alot of time of it but the paint does need some help. It is black btw

Maybe I'll just hit it with SH remover, the FMP then sealant.. I don't think he's goina be washing it with a wash mitt so I don't want to put alot of time of it but the paint does need some help. It is black btw

If he's not going to take care of it, I'd hit it with FMP and some protection and move on...

Chris

:iagree: No point going to too much trouble if it won't be looked after.

If you must chase perfection, or a certain level of shine, just tape off the good old 2'x2' and see what works to get that area where you'd like it.... then you know what you're in for straight away.