Customer Service 866.965.0400

undercarriage protectant

j6harris

Question

what product do people recommend using to protect/ shine / and keep the undercarriage looking good ?

i have a 2012 ram and i live in minnesota. i was looking for a product to use on my axels, suspension, frame, and everything else on the underside to protect it from the harsh winters and rusting that isnt permanent like that bedliner stuff you find in stores.

right now i've been just spraying WD 40 on everything to keep from rusting but it collects a lot of dust. so i was wondering if quick sealant would be a better idea ? or the undercarriage spray ? .. looking for something that holds up longer than just between washes.

i've always been a stickler about keeping my vehicle looking good but i'm only an amateur and i would like to do it the right way so any information or tips to keep my underside from rotting and keeping it looking nice would be very appreciated ! :bow:

Edited by j6harris

10 answers to this question

The problem is, while BRZN's GTO has an immaculate undercarriage, it isn't a daily driver driven in Minnesota winters like the OP is asking about. It just sits in a garage. And when it does go out, Dylan explains it best:

Most people drive their cars to get places... Dave actually picks his car up and carries it on his back so the tires don't get dirty. True story. :jester:

I think a regular treatment of APC when washing along with some Undercarriage Spray after would be good to keep it up. With this in mind I'd highly recommend purchasing the gallons of each of those products with a set of empty 36oz bottles to apply. I also prefer the standard sprayer with the APC, instead of the foamer IMHO.

The most important thing is to not let the grime from the roads build up for too long before washing. Then you should be good to go.

I missed a part of the OP here before I responded. I don't see why an application of QS wouldn't work on the axles, etc. Just make sure this is applied after cleaning with some APC and before some Undercarriage Spray.

Present!

Yea, the Goat's a show car, not a daily driver so it does get a bit better care than our other cars. :thumbsup:I probably won't be able to give a fair opinion on the use of the Quick Sealant until I do my undercarriage cleaning again next winter. The car is going to get some miles on her through this summer, at least three pretty good trips: one a 500 miler one way to the Ames Performance All Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk, OH in early August.

I use the Invisable Undercarriage Spray Dressing on all of our daily drivers and absolutely love the stuff. Be aware, as I understand, it does have some silicone content to it and does pick up dust. If dust is all the more that's stuck to it since the last wash it'll almost all come off with just a blast from the hose. If the vehicle is washed on a regular basis the Invisable Undercarriage Dressing should last longer than WD-40. Every other wash at least.

Dave,

If you need a place to grab a quick two-bucket wash on your way to Norwalk, I'm not that far off your path, let me know.

Edit: I'm about 90 minutes from Norwalk.

Edited by Tim

Thanks Tim, but we've already got the sweet deal.

The Motel we stay at is only one exit away from Summit Motor Sport Park where the show is. The Motel's parking lot is shared with a car wash on the same piece of property.