Customer Service 866.965.0400

My Invention

Corners

Question

:lolsmack: Can't say this is "my" invention but for me, it's a "winner." :thumbsup: Probably been used many times before by others. Even though I bought the small ladder that folds out into a platform (Home Depot) so I could reach the roofs of vehicles better, it was still a pain to work that way.

Early this morning while out in the shop. I was standing there, looking at my truck and trying to figure out an easier way to buff the roof. This is even applicable to the wife's Mercedes.

I have two of the six foot ladders. Put one on each side of the truck and put two 2x6 boards from one ladder, through the center of the front seat and then onto the ladder on the other side. Then I opened the sun roof. With just enough room to slowly move around, it's perfect for buffing. :pc:

Now this would not be applicable to some guy, 6' + 200+ lbs - then again I suppose a guy that big would have to try it.

I covered the entire front area of the truck with an old sheet just to be on the safe side. For me it's a perfect solution. Although I haven't actually buffed both roofs, I know this is going to work. Put my trusty Adam's apron on for the products and lay the towels on the back side I'm not working on.

Now I just need to wait for this rain to stop. I'll post three pictures - one of me buffing, or one of me all crumbled up and laying in a pile or one of me in the hospital. :xfingers::cheers:

Cool idea!

Look forward to seeing the pics!! :2thumbs:

As I said, just as soon as this rain stops, I'll be doing a thorough detail on both vehicles. I'll be sure to have the Mrs. take some pic's - "only" if I'm not crumpled in the seat or laying in the hospital. :lolsmack:

I'm not sure this bright?? idea would be applicable to some of the smaller cars mainly due to how far their front doors open. The doors on the Mercedes open further than those on my Ram truck. Although the passenger doors on the Ram do open all the way to the sides of the bed. Hmmmmmm, to bad there isn't a double sun roof on it.

I want pics either way. I guarantee I'll laugh. Either way.

-Nothing better in life than a double dipper laugh. :lol:

Now then, you gave me a couple of ideas that might just prevent me from a bed in ye 'ol hospital - I never would have thought of that but sure am going to put "something" over the boards.

Could wear a pair of logger boots - the kind that have the spikes on the bottom. More years than I care to remember, I use to wear a pair of those when I was falling trees. Ah I can see it now, standing on the boards, start to lose my balance, in a nano second, put one of my feet on the dash to keep me upright and "instant" holes in a leather dash. :help:

Maybe then I could get the Mrs to buy the new cream colored Mercedes she keeps dropping hints about. :jawdrop:

:D. Great idea! Make sure to maybe put some of that deck, grip tape down on the boards?

-

Corners, :lol:, I think you have enough common sense to know that's not as safe as it sounds. Please, if you do this, have someone nearby, wear the proper gear, and be extra carful where you put those feet.

However, have you tried to stand on the inside of the door sills at all? Would this perhaps allow you to reach the center without the high center of balance?

Mook

Corners, :lol:, I think you have enough common sense to know that's not as safe as it sounds. Please, if you do this, have someone nearby, wear the proper gear, and be extra carful where you put those feet.

However, have you tried to stand on the inside of the door sills at all? Would this perhaps allow you to reach the center without the high center of balance?

Mook

Really appreciate the concern Mook.

Rest assured that a buddy of mine will be in the shop with me.

Yea I tried the door sills but can't find a position that I am absolutely comfortable with and really no place to plant my feet because in both vehicles, I'm surrounded with nothing but pure leather.

I've been on the boards and actually had the wife hand me the buffer just to get a feel for when I actually start using it. I've talked to some of the local detailers - they say they just use a step ladder, get half the roof, move the ladder to the other side and finish it off. However, that leaves a lot of room, in my opinion, to really scratch the side of the vehicle up.

Rest assured, I'll be extra careful. Also, if I don't think this is a super invention I'll go back to the drawing boards - bending my legs over one of the rafters and work upside down. :jester:

My folks didn't raise me as an idiot - then again that's been debated for quite a few years. :lol:

:lol: why not, construct something sturdy then? Then cover the car facing side with pipe insulation, soft foam stuff. That way, you have stability, and if it touches the car, it's not gonna wreak havoc.

:lol: why not, construct something sturdy then? Then cover the car facing side with pipe insulation, soft foam stuff. That way, you have stability, and if it touches the car, it's not gonna wreak havoc.

Mook. I "Promise" I'll answer this tomorrow. Had most of it answered and this plastic and metal monster of a computer just threw it into cyber space. So shutting it down before I lose everything.

Be talking at cha tomorrow.

I actually like his idea, reminds me of the cat walks I used to use when working for a contractor when I was a teen. The catwalks could be setup on two extension ladders or two jack poles. Same idea here except his two step ladders would need to be setup in the proper direction to ensure stability. I wouldn't want to try this with cheap ladders or narrow ladders as I would want the ladders to have dimensional stability in all horizontal directions.

To make it more stable he might need to fasten the two boards together to create a single platform and then where the platform crossing the ladders be sure to have limiters that will ensure the platform end cannot slide off the ladder.

This will be fun to see the pics!

I switched puters late last night so hoping this one will let me "finish" replying to a post.

Was in my shop bright and early this morning. Took a six foot ladder and put it as close to my pick-up as I could get it. Wanted to see if the ladder would "kick out" if I leaned over to far. Yea, it wanted to do exactly that.

Something so easy shouldn't be so hard.

I had Line-X sprayed in the bed of the truck. It's also sprayed around the small section that goes across the bed, behind the rear window. I can stand on that to get the back half of the roof but needless to say, can't reach the front.

Two ladders and the boards going across on the inside. Nixed that idea mainly due to the ladders. So my next thought would be to go down to a moving company, borrow or buy two really thick pads. Put both front windows down, lay the pads over the window openings and putting the boards across that. :confused::xfingers:

Does "anybody" have a great idea for buffing out roofs. :o:help:

How about somethiing like this?

top-11-espionage-moments-mission-impossible.jpg

mission-impossible_thumb.jpg?w=640&h=421

:D

:lolsmack: Ya know, this could have some great possibilities. Just don't let Mook see it. :cheers:

That paint? brush appears to be heavier than a PC or Flex. :D

I actually like his idea, reminds me of the cat walks I used to use when working for a contractor when I was a teen. The catwalks could be setup on two extension ladders or two jack poles. Same idea here except his two step ladders would need to be setup in the proper direction to ensure stability. I wouldn't want to try this with cheap ladders or narrow ladders as I would want the ladders to have dimensional stability in all horizontal directions.

To make it more stable he might need to fasten the two boards together to create a single platform and then where the platform crossing the ladders be sure to have limiters that will ensure the platform end cannot slide off the ladder.

This will be fun to see the pics!

:lolsmack: Ah would you mind "drawing" this to scale and fax it to me.

But" it could be workable. Only problem I have is not being able to face the ladders directly straight forward do to the front doors not opening far enough.

When I did my "test" that way, I did have the boards secured to a step on each ladder. But - the boards wanted to slide the ladder sideways. It worked great until I started moving around. :confused:

Would a pair of these work? It would require a some of planking between the two, but I would guess they would be more stable than ladders.

c870f00d-8031-45fd-9d73-18cd43544982_300.jpg

:banana::2thumbs: "Thank You." Now unless I'm overlooking something, this is absolutely what I need. Also I don't believe I would need two of them. First, with the four locking wheels I don't have to worry about it moving around on me. Second, depending on the difference between the two boards and the way they are hooked on each end, I really think I'll be able to "lean or bend" over if I have to.

Additionally, based on the picture, one could take pipe foam pieces and wrap both sides of the upright poles.

With my new detailing shop, there will be plenty of room to move it around any vehicle.

Do you have a link where you found this? I'm going to get the measurements, etc and if everything works out as I think it will, "you" just re-invented my invention. :2thumbs: :pc:If Home Depot carries them, their store is ten minutes from my house.

If for some reason it doesn't work out then I can always use it to store products, buckets, etc in my new shop.

This is really great. Can't thank you enough. I don't think there isn't anything that somebody can't figure out on this forum. That's what makes it so unique.

Edited by Corners

Do you have a link where you found this? I'm going to get the measurements, etc and if everything works out as I think it will, "you" just re-invented my invention. :2thumbs: :pc:If Home Depot carries them, their store is ten minutes from my house.

If for some reason it doesn't work out then I can always use it to store products, buckets, etc in my new shop.

Home Depot for the win! It's on their website, not sure which one is available in the store. Look under - Building Materials > ladders > scaffolding - Building Materials - Ladders - Scaffolding*at The Home Depot.

It is only 4 foot wide so make sure that would give you enough room to move.

Thanks for that info. I really don't see any problems with that size. Will take a run down to HD in the morning and see if they have one in stock. If not, can probably order on and have it in about 2 days.

I spend a lot of time at HD. Their coffee is really good and it's free. Trying to get them to install a pop corn machine in the contractors department. :lolsmack: I can walk into that store just to buy a nail :jester: and by the time I get to the check out stand, I've never got out of there for less than a $100.00 :D

Home Depot for the win! It's on their website, not sure which one is available in the store. Look under - Building Materials > ladders > scaffolding - Building Materials - Ladders - Scaffolding*at The Home Depot.

Super referral. Went to HD's site and found this:

4 ft. Portable Rolling Scaffolding-PS-48 at The Home Depot

Headed there now to get it. I just got an enclosed motorcycle trailer to detail and this thing is going to be put through the test.

Many tks.

Mook

Mook: Will this make you feel better: :lolsmack:

4 ft. Portable Rolling Scaffolding-PS-48 at The Home Depot

In retrospect, my hair brained idea was not the safest way to proceed. :o