Customer Service 866.965.0400

Corrugated aluminum

Corners

Question

A guy calls me and wants me to thoroughly detail his enclosed motorcycle trailer. Said he could bring it right over. Told him due to the rain, I wouldn't be able to get right on it but would like to go to his place to take a look at it.

What I was afraid of was on the trailer - "Corrugated Aluminum" wrapped around the front, and up about 1/4 and 1/4 ways down both sides. Then he has smooth aluminum that covers parts of the side and both fenders which are smooth.

Has a black top and the rest is painted solid red. Looks like the red paint hasn't been clear coated.

I'm not about to waste some good buffing pads on the corrugated portions and absolutely will not stand there and try to buff this thing by hand.

First, any suggestions as to cleaning the corrugated portion and the smooth area?

Second, if no clear coat on the red paint, should I give it a try using APC? No kinds of chips or nicks or scratches on the paint.

Only nice looking thing on this is the new tires and chrome wheels.

First thing it's going to get is a very thorough pressure washer cleaning on the front and sides where there is metal. Think he has bugs that's been on those areas from three summers ago.

The red paint would really look good all shined up. However, I ran a finger over the paint and my finger got red paint on it. Not a good sign!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Any pics? What are the dimensions of the trailer?

Before using APC on it I would test in some inconspicuous spot, especially since there isn't a clear coat.

Before APC, I would try Revive Polish. If the Revive Polish works well, which I believe it will in this case, we then need a workable approach for working the corrugated. If it would be too much work to use Revive Polish on the corrugated by hand, (and since I can't think of anything Adam's has available) I might try one an appropriately sized foam/felt balls on a stick that mounts to a drill with Revive Polish. Then of course use a flat pad with the PC for the smooth areas.

Your pricing would need to reflect the pads/applicators being consumed by this single job.

:cheers:

Any pics? What are the dimensions of the trailer?

Before using APC on it I would test in some inconspicuous spot, especially since there isn't a clear coat.

Before APC, I would try Revive Polish. If the Revive Polish works well, which I believe it will in this case, we then need a workable approach for working the corrugated. If it would be too much work to use Revive Polish on the corrugated by hand, (and since I can't think of anything Adam's has available) I might try one an appropriately sized foam/felt balls on a stick that mounts to a drill with Revive Polish. Then of course use a flat pad with the PC for the smooth areas.

Your pricing would need to reflect the pads/applicators being consumed by this single job.

:cheers:

The trailer size is about 9' wide and from the tip of the hitch to the back is about 22'.

This guy's a real pusher. Wakes me up at 6:30, tells me it's not raining and he wants to bring the trailer over. 6:30 A.M. - no coffee yet - I tell him to bring it over.

I took the pressure washer to it and thankfully nothing flew off of it. :thumbsup:

Gave it a half way dry job and then put some Revive on it in different places. Amazing - there has to be "something" covering that paint as you can see in the pictures.

Then I tackled a small spot of the metal with just a flat, interior pad and Revive. I could? do this by hand but going to take your advice and use the round foam polishing balls with my drill. I have a bunch of those I've never opened.

So my first thought was not to do this. However, I really don't think it will be that big of a chore. "However," he's not getting this done cheap.

I'll be using some of the buffing pads, towels, VRT and perhaps some quick sealant, lots of Revive, etc. When I told him my price would be $375.00 he didn't blink an eye. But I also told him it could be a little higher and if so I would call him first. Just depends on how tough of a job those fenders and the smooth metal is going to be. Revive just smeared the smooth metal up.

Anywho, I got it here so it an't ah gonna get done with me sitting here talking about it.

Oh, I'll be needing some 4" pads because of all those &^% rivets.

When I get it done, I'm going to call him at "5:30 A.M." :lol:

Many tks for the advice - pictures to follow when I get 'er done.

Edited by Corners