Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC problems

Tkosinski2

Question

So I've been super happy with my PC since I purchased it. It's been great to me the few time I used it to wax my huge truck. I've used it maybe three or four times total and I finally got my polishing pads. Was super stoked I try them out. My buddy asked if I could fully detail his car for when they sell it so I was stoked to get the practice and see what I could do. It's my first time polishing. Well I went to go use it and my PC started having a fit. It spun up, I apples the polish and when I went to up the speed on turn it on again and applied just a little pressure it stop. I was like oh maybe I'm pushing to hard and so I let up it started back up so I was like oh ok cool but then it started having a fit turning on and off and on and off and then it just stopped workin all together. I've had it maybe 9 months. Have you guys experienced this same thing?

I'm a little upset that when I need it it wasn't there for me

17 answers to this question

This is a strange one. I read this thread, left, and revisited it and still haven't been to come up with any ideas. Since you bought online, I would either contact where you bought it or Porter Cable themselves.

I just got a PC as well and though I don't know everything about it, I'm just wondering if maybe it has to do with the backing plate for the pads? You mentioned it worked fine before the pads so that's why I'm thinking that. Double check to make sure everything's attached correctly.

Ignoring the bit about it happening as you applied pressure, it almost sounds like it could be a power cord problem.

We get this from time to time at work, as tools are bundled up pretty quick and the cord just gets wrapped around the tool, eventually we end up with symptoms similar to yours. 9 times out of 10 it's a break in the copper wire where it enters the tool.

Might be way off, but it's easy to check (wiggle the cord with the PC running and see if it cuts out), and nearly as easy to fix, so I thought I'd throw it in there as a possibility.

Yeah I thought it may be that to so I started jiggling things pulling cords in and out and such an no luck. I plugged the tool directly into the wall outlet and it's started right up then died again and it hasn't turned on since I tried that. Do the brushes err get stuck real bad on these things? I checked them and they had a lot left on them obviously but I didn't try to move them at all for fear of voiding any warranty.

The PC is one of the most durable and reliable polishing tools on the market, but even with a really good tool there are bound to be defects from time to time. (nothing is every perfect)

Did you buy the tool new from somewhere or was it a refurbished one? You might check with whomever you purchased it thru to see what your warranty coverage is. Unfortunately, since it wasn't purchased thru us theres not much I can do for you, but this is one of those cases where our lifetime warranty on tools is worth the couple of bucks you might have saved buying elsewhere.

If for whatever reason you can't get it covered under warranty I'd be happy to help you track down a repair center. Porter Cable has a network of places authorized to do repair on the tools and the repairs are typically backed with a new warranty.

Yeah I actually bought the PC before I found you guys so unfortunatly couldn't order from you guys. I'm not trying to bash the PC at all but I was just a little disappointed it failed on me. With that being said I did love it when it was working. I'm new to all this which is why I wanted to stay away from an orbital polisher for fear of burning through the clear.

It is the XP so it's good to know the warranty is 3 years. I live in Torrance and herd from a tool repair shop I can take it to the dewalt warranty facility in Anaheim and they will warranty it. Is it true that dewalt owns porter cable or visa versa?

Yeah I actually bought the PC before I found you guys so unfortunatly couldn't order from you guys. I'm not trying to bash the PC at all but I was just a little disappointed it failed on me. With that being said I did love it when it was working. I'm new to all this which is why I wanted to stay away from an orbital polisher for fear of burning through the clear.

It is the XP so it's good to know the warranty is 3 years. I live in Torrance and herd from a tool repair shop I can take it to the dewalt warranty facility in Anaheim and they will warranty it. Is it true that dewalt owns porter cable or visa versa?

Delta owns Porter Cable, but with the way business is now a days I wouldn't be shocked if DeWalt was now under the umbrella too. Seems everyone is owned by someone else anymore.

Good luck with the fix, hopefully you'll be back to polishing soon! :cheers: