Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail In progress...Question

02mustangGT

Question

I just started my first full detail with a polisher yesterday and I have a couple questions.

Today I was able to do SSHR AND SHR, after doing FMP I was planning on just doing an IPA wipedown. Well I've been making quite a mess haha so I think i'm going to wash it after I do the FMP tomorrow.

Should I just do a normal 2 bucket wash with adams shampoo or dawn? (Don't have any APC)

Also after I wash, should I still do an IPA wipedown, or am I good to go and put on some sealant?

Thanks for any help!

Oh and :pc: !!!!

12 answers to this question

Don't use Dawn....never, never ever use Dawn on an automobile, there is no need for it. Really don't think you need to wash if you have already used Fine Machine Polish, it should be ready for wax, but if you aren't sure the surface is clean, I would use Revive or Brilliant or both, then wax.

Don't use Dawn....never, never ever use Dawn on an automobile, there is no need for it. Really don't think you need to wash if you have already used Fine Machine Polish, it should be ready for wax, but if you aren't sure the surface is clean, I would use Revive or Brilliant or both, then wax.

Might be talking about dusting everywhere?

My most recent detail was over the course of a week and required some pretty heavy duty buffing. Had dust everywhere. Before I could put anything down I had to wash it.

I think just a 2 bucket wash should do. An IPA wipedown should not be required, but for the little bit of time it takes it won't hurt.

That's what I would do. I have ran into this situation before where I have had to break up a detail over a couple days and have done this. As a matter of fact, I am in this same situation as we speak! I did a IPA wipedown only this morning because I was confident that the surface was still clean enough to not require a full two bucket wash. It all depends.

Yeah I know the surface would be clean, its just i had a lot of dusting and polish getting in little places that I want to clean before I put sealant on it. Thanks for the replies!

Edited by 02mustangGT

Might be talking about dusting everywhere?

My most recent detail was over the course of a week and required some pretty heavy duty buffing. Had dust everywhere. Before I could put anything down I had to wash it.

I agree and point well taken, I was thinking moving from one step to the next without any time elapsing between steps, so I agree with you when you have an appreciable amount of time between steps, washing is in order.

BTW you can use dawn, but only if you are stripping all layers of protection off the paint before claying and detailing.

i would use adams wash if you want to wash after polishing.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I really think that 10 years from now we will be cringing at the idea of using Dawn to strip. While I know the dried out trim isn't too much of an issue if you treat it, I just wonder about other aversive effects of using dish soap on the paint. Although I'm sure people will chime in that they have been using dawn for years without a problem. I just can't bring myself to do it.

It just seems that a better alternative is to mix in APC in the wash bucket or use IPA.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you...I have used Dawn to strip wax off my vehicle...and it works great for that. Telling someone to never use Dawn is a little overboard IMO. Whether someone uses IPA or Dawn they both take off the wax.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you...I have used Dawn to strip wax off my vehicle...and it works great for that. Telling someone to never use Dawn is a little overboard IMO. Whether someone uses IPA or Dawn they both take off the wax.

You can disagree but honestly there is no reason to use Dawn on an auto finish, it is hard on the finish and if you are going to clay bar, then use a paint cleaner, you will remove the wax without using the harsh wash like Dawn...and yes I know they clean marine birds that have oil in them, but I have been washing dishes with Dawn a lot lately and believe me, it isn't very gentle. So continue to use it if you like it, but I never have and don't plan on recommending it to anyone.