Customer Service 866.965.0400

Razor® burn

camaro

Question

To my dismay, I walked up to find my baby loaded with scratches and dents yesterday morning. The neighbor children were riding their Razor® scooters down the driveway & using my camaro as their marker for the end of the race.

razor-scooter-ms130-a3-blue.jpg

I guess they hadn't realized what they were doing but dear god - they got every pannel, save the roof & pilars.

The Razor® scooters are aluminum & the camaro is famous for sensitive/bad paint.

I got a quote for professional repair of $3,000 (apparently the tri-coat paint is $500 alone). The family is a low-income family and there is no way I am even seeing $3 much less any help with covering the deductible on an insurance claim this large. (advice?)

I did what I could.

Upper front fascia:

WvJYx.jpg?1

Lower front fascia:

CCZSb.jpg?1

and this guy goes all along the door right to the back:

omLM8.jpg?1

A little Adam's elbow-grease masked the damage.

For the deeper scratches I had to use another brand's heavier compound & follow with the Adam's treatment*. Finally, I hit the still visible spots with GM touch up paint. The damage I could not fix were the dents and impressions.

The car has never been paint corrected but I assume when I get it back from the shop I will have to do it. Today, I strip washed with Dawn, clay bar & then moved to the Adam's restorative products.

*I focused only on the scratched areas using the 4" pads. Also, I ran out of day-light so I only got to apply severe swirl and haze. To protect the car I used a can of Quick Sealant.

AFTER pics soon :(

Edited by camaro

Oh man that is horrible. I have little cousins visiting now (5 and 3) and they were in the garage running around, scratched the hood of my car too (I JUST corrected the whole car with my PC too), so I guess I'll be redoing the hood. The scratches aren't as deep as on your car, but still I feel your pain.

I hope it comes out good as new from the shop. Good luck

Where did you get your GM touch up paint? Can it be bought at a local GM dealership? I have a black camaro with some scratches down to the metal that could use some.

Yes - I bought my touch-up pen+brush while on a service visit at the dealer. It was $18.

Edited by camaro

Every dealership is going to sell touch up paint for the cars that they sell. Sometimes they may have to order it, but they can get it. Or you can go to a reputable paint supply store and they can mix you up some. They (automotive paint store) can also put any color you want in a spray can. I wouldn't recommend painting a whole car this way, but I have used it in the past to repair spots on another vehicle I had at one time where the factory mud flaps rubbed the paint down to the bare metal. Primered, painted and cleared it myself. Turned out fine. And I notice stuff like this.

The damage in the above pics I would say would have to be repaired professionally and by someone with some quality spray guns.

@Savi01 - the kids will be kids I guess. It's the cost of having nice things

Yup, can't be mad at them. They're free here at my house, run around all day inside/out. These are their years to be carefree and live life.

I also commend you for not going after that neighborhood family to pay for the damages; I'm sure when you found those scratches you must have been heated, but that's great of you to not go after them.

Wow, sorry this has happened to you...have you talked to your insurance company, this should be covered under your comprehensive part of the insurance coverage. I know that is what covered my car when someone threw a handful of stones at my car as I drove by them.

Do your neighbors not have liability insurance?? I would also not have been that easy on them. Low income or not, they are still responsible for their kids and should have raised and/or supervised them better! And what were they doing on YOUR driveway?

Thanks for all the advice guys. We have a shared driveway. Although the kids were warned many times before not to play by the Camaro, they don't listen. The parents have suggested they can help i.e. they know a guy who has paint and can do cars....you can imagine how strong my, "no thanks" was to that.

I cannot judge others' parenting but the kids were out again the very next day, albeit a few yards away from the now mended Camaro.

They have been stiffing the land-lord 6 months on parking (their vehicle is a rust bucket & can't be moved). They are on government assistance & have no credit, no insurance etc. The land-lord already told me not to waste my time with these people and offered his sympathy for the damage. I was offered a different parking space along the driveway but it makes no difference.

Those people sound like low life trash who can't control their own kids.

I'd be setting up a day in court.

That's a bit personal, no?

Sometimes kids are just kids. Even when told no they will do something bad, but it's never their intention; they're just having fun and being kids. Sure maybe the parents should keep a bit more of an eye on the kids, but I don't think it's right to call them "low life trash". How much trouble did we all wreck as kids? Would you appreciate anyone calling your parents that due to something you did without their knowledge?