Customer Service 866.965.0400

NEST Thermostats for your home?

Chewy

I've heard the 100 watt theory as well, but know that that motor with labor can be close to 500 bucks to replace. I just can't make myself let it run, plus the noise of it running constantly.

Some are noisy. Mine is really quiet. You wouldn't even know it was on if you were in the house. If it calls for heat or cooling it slowly ramps up. It has been on for 5 years straight now. Labor is always the killer with anything. That is a big part as to why I figure stuff out on my own. If you just have a basic HVAC setup I would just find a good programmable. The NEST is nice, but I don't think it would be beneficial, IMHO.

If your furnace is noisy with the fan on, it probably isn't made to do be left on all the time. I would agree some are very noisy.

Edited by LFairbanks

Some are noisy. Mine is really quiet. You wouldn't even know it was on if you were in the house. If it calls for heat or cooling it slowly ramps up. It has been on for 5 years straight now. Labor is always the killer with anything. That is a big part as to why I figure stuff out on my own. If you just have a basic HVAC setup I would just find a good programmable. The NEST is nice, but I don't think it would be beneficial, IMHO.

If your furnace is noisy with the fan on, it probably isn't made to do be left on all the time. I would agree some are very noisy.

Had mine installed last summer. At first I couldn't stand the noise. Lennox sent a trouble shooter out. Found out that the duct sizing was to small. "They" overlooked that when they sold it to me so "they" paid for the upsizing. I bought the 5 year extended warranty so like you, I don't have to work on it if it requires any. Heats/cools when it needs it so I don't touch anything.

Mine really is not bad unless I'm down in the basement with the boy (there a lot) playing.

I'm not sure what I want to do... What I'd like to find is one that had thermometers (connected to WiFi) that you can place in other areas of the house and will average them all out and try to keep the house at a more constant temp. Right now, it'll be 74º*downstairs, but in our bedroom, it'll be 3-4º warmer, maybe more at night when we're sleeping.

NEST doesn't have that. I asked... lol

Chris

Chewy, If I remember right your home is multi-level? Correct me if Iam wrong. I know a lot of times these types of homes are difficult to heat/cool for the simple fact that HVAC contractors usually don't put the proper amount of cold air returns in. It is a lot of extra work. That is why the upstairs is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The air is being pulled and replaced with what is coming out of your supply vents.

Running my fan continously has helped me with balancing out temps in the house. A zoned system is ideal but can be expensive.

Chewy, If I remember right your home is multi-level? Correct me if Iam wrong. I know a lot of times these types of homes are difficult to heat/cool for the simple fact that HVAC contractors usually don't put the proper amount of cold air returns in. It is a lot of extra work. That is why the upstairs is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The air is being pulled and replaced with what is coming out of your supply vents.

Running my fan continously has helped me with balancing out temps in the house. A zoned system is ideal but can be expensive.

Yeah... Multi level... I've gotten it pretty close now by closing the basement vents and putting the main level vents at half way with the upstairs at wide open in the rooms we're using. Since heat rises, I'll have to change this slightly come fall/winter.

I just can't run my fan all day. It goes against everything I believe... :jester:

Yeah... Multi level... I've gotten it pretty close now by closing the basement vents and putting the main level vents at half way with the upstairs at wide open in the rooms we're using. Since heat rises, I'll have to change this slightly come fall/winter.

I just can't run my fan all day. It goes against everything I believe... :jester:

Just make sure that by closing your basement vents and upstairs halfway that your coil isn't freezing up from lack of proper airflow. It basically will become a block of ice.

Another thing that may help. Is take a look at your register vents. If they are slanted like this \\\\\ //// (if that makes sense) either bend them carefully so they are more vertical. Or do what I did and replace them all with a register that is more l l l l.

HC421.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

Just make sure that by closing your basement vents and upstairs halfway that your coil isn't freezing up from lack of proper airflow. It basically will become a block of ice.

Another thing that may help. Is take a look at your register vents. If they are slanted like this \\\\\ //// (if that makes sense) either bend them carefully so they are more vertical. Or do what I did and replace them all with a register that is more l l l l.

HC421.jpg

Yeah no... There's more than enough open... The basement is fully closed but we have several on the main level that are open fully or half and then upstairs fully as well.:thumbsup:

I put all new vents in the main level. They are more like a checkerboard design. Very mission style. What I had looked EXACTLY like you showed. The white against the brazilian cherry wood didn't work for us.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

One day the wife closed off the vents in the basement, and I came home and she told me that it had been running most the day. I took a look and found the coil iced over. Kicked on the furnace for a bit to remove the ice and opened the vents up again. It was a hot day and I have a 2 stage A/C unit. When it kicked into the 2nd stage it was too much with too little airflow over the coil.

• 2 weeks later...