Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stinky sun visor

SyTyJedi

Question

I replaced the sun visor with one I got online this weekend. When I went to run an errand at lunch, I noticed an odd smell in my GTO which normally smells like a new car. I turned the AC from outside air to recirculate and thought that would take care of it.

Kept driving, kept smelling it. Smelled kinda like a dirty, smoked in car. I took a whiff of the new (sic) sun visor and I had found the source!

I'm sitting here thinking about how to get the smell out. Visibly the visor is brand new and looks great, but once it's out in the TX heat it puts off a really odd odor. Would CUC work at getting the smell out? I know I can cover it up with Febreeze, but I want to fix the source of the smell.

If it was a stain I know CUC would work great, but is it good at removing smells as well?

Tyler

10 answers to this question

Just cleaning won't do much good. Until you address the source of the smell its going to come back. Even something like febreeze is only going to cover up the smell.

Did the visor get wet or something at some point and potentially get moldy or something? Seems weird it would be the only part of the interior that smells.

I have to agree with Dlyan. Where did you get this visor from?

A lot of people that sell used car parts majority of the time come from the junkyard. Its possible that it could have gotten wet and its starting to mold. I don't suggest agitating the fabric because you don't know whats under it.

It was from Cleveland Pick a Part and the part was in "like new" condition. Several forum members recommended them for spare parts. The GTO sun visors are notorious for breaking due to their crappy hinge design.