Customer Service 866.965.0400

A few quick newbie questions

CamaroBlack

Question

Hi all,

I just placed my first order at Adam's for the 2 bucket wash system and the brilliant glaze/American Wax combo. I recently purchased a new black Camaro and I'm looking forward to keeping it in tip top shape...but I do have a few quick questions:

1. Since the car is new(1 month old), how long should I wait before glazing, waxing, etc.? Should I start right away with the first wash or should I wait a certain amount of time?

2. Once I do start detailing, how often should I do so? Every wash? Every 6 months?

3. I watched Adam's video on the glaze/American wax and it seems to work great on cars...especially black cars. Is a wash, glaze, and American wax enough or should I also get the Clay(if/when needed), Swirl & Haze Remover, and Revive polish and incorporate that as well for full protection?

I've watched some of the videos, read some of the FAQ's, and downloaded the Detailing Reference guide. All of which were really helpful. I just want to make sure on the above questions before I do anything. Thank you in advance for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

-Dan

9 answers to this question

Hi all,

I just placed my first order at Adam's for the 2 bucket wash system and the brilliant glaze/American Wax combo. I recently purchased a new black Camaro and I'm looking forward to keeping it in tip top shape...but I do have a few quick questions:

1. Since the car is new(1 month old), how long should I wait before glazing, waxing, etc.? Should I start right away with the first wash or should I wait a certain amount of time?

2. Once I do start detailing, how often should I do so? Every wash? Every 6 months?

3. I watched Adam's video on the glaze/American wax and it seems to work great on cars...especially black cars. Is a wash, glaze, and American wax enough or should I also get the Clay(if/when needed), Swirl & Haze Remover, and Revive polish and incorporate that as well for full protection?

I've watched some of the videos, read some of the FAQ's, and downloaded the Detailing Reference guide. All of which were really helpful. I just want to make sure on the above questions before I do anything. Thank you in advance for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

-Dan

1. Start right away. Do a strip wash then a baggie test to see if u need to clay..assuming u have clay. After the strip wash go at it with some glaze an americana.

2. You would only polish when its needed. If your wash technique is solid u may only need to polish once or twice a yr. Keep up on the washing w two buckets and americana as needed and u should be fine.

3. See answers 1 and 2

You will definitely want to clay. Even if your car DIDN'T sit on the dealer lot it has fall-out from the trip down from Canada on the train. Rail dust can only be removed by claying.

When I picked up my 2010 in 2009 I made sure the dealer DID NOT wash it and it still needed clayed even though it arrive at the dealer the day before.

After washing and claying you should do a seal, glaze and wax. It will look stunning!

Is there a certain kind of sealant that you recommend?

Adam's, of course!

Adam's Machine Super Sealant - Best Machine Car Wax

The Machine Super Sealant can be applied by hand. It's just quicker w/ a machine.

Adam's Polishes - Adam's Quick Sealant

Quick Sealant is sprayed on and wiped down. (Or spray the applicator.)

Super Sealant will last longer but you have to wait at least 12 hours before applying glaze or wax over the top. Quick Sealant you can add to right away.

It sounds like you are doing a hand detailing and I agree with these guys. Before, I give you how I would do it, I would check the build date, I'll bet your car is probably old enough that it will not hurt to detail it immediately. I would start with the 2 bucket wash, and then clay it, even on new vehicles, you will get some dirt off and it will be surprising how much smoother the finish will feel after claying. I would then next go with the Revive, as this will help prepare the surface. Next I would use the Quick Sealant, this goes on and comes off easy and is a nice protection step. I would then use Brilliant Glaze, as this will add an amazing amount of pop to the final look, again, easy to apply and remove, and I feel it is really worth the extra time this step takes and then finally apply a coat of wax...since you are using Americana I would recommend applying 2 coats. I like to wait a few hours between coats just to let the wax cure a bit. I don't know if the wait is really necessary, but it doesn't seem to hurt. Hope this is a little help, and good luck, you will be pleased with how great your car will look after the Adam's treatment.

Adam's, of course!

Adam's Machine Super Sealant - Best Machine Car Wax

The Machine Super Sealant can be applied by hand. It's just quicker w/ a machine.

The problem with applying MSS by hand is that it has to go on very thin, and it is a bear to get off if it is too thick. If you don't have a machine the QS is the best choice.

Thanks for all the help everyone. There are fewer things better on the internet than a forum that has helpful people. :2thumbs:

I just have one more question than I think I'm good to go. :) After claying, do you wipe the car down before putting something else on (quick sealant/polish)? I'm guessing there still may be some Detail spray left over after using it as a lubricant or possibly some debris.

Thanks for all the help everyone. There are fewer things better on the internet than a forum that has helpful people. :2thumbs:

I just have one more question than I think I'm good to go. :) After claying, do you wipe the car down before putting something else on (quick sealant/polish)? I'm guessing there still may be some Detail spray left over after using it as a lubricant or possibly some debris.

This is a great question. When I talked to Adam he told me that there was no need to remove the residue if you were going to make Revive the next step. The Revive will take off the residue and clean the paint. I have done it both ways, wiping off the residue before going to the Revive, but lately I just leave it on, and apply Revive over the clay bar residue. Honestly, I don't really see any difference, and leaving the residue on the car actually saves a little time. However, if you leave the residue on the car, when you do remove the Revive, you will need a few more towels because the will become dirty fairly quickly.