Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to tape up and how? (+ some other general q's)

Falcon Wing

Question

I am getting ready to finally dive into the PC tomorrow, and was wondering if someone could explain what to tape up and how?

I understand covering seals, trim, but I'm more curious if for example, if I'm polishing the hood, near where the hood meets the fender, how should that area be taped up? Anyone have any pictures? Is blue painters tape acceptable?

Additionally, I bought the PC "Brilliance" PC polish kit, and noticed that it did not have the Machine Super sealant, so I bought that and the appropriate pads yesterday. Good idea?

So, the final step is the "Americana" paste wax, and I am assuming that is only applied by hand?

Thanks....

3 answers to this question

Well I dunno much but I've seen a few details and usually they just tape the seams down to the headlights....just to prevent stuff in corners and door seals and hood seals so you don't have to worry about it later...usually its just a dust line from the polish when you pull the tape...they just spray the mf and wipe it off...

Spreadin pimpin mobile from tapa son...

I am getting ready to finally dive into the PC tomorrow, and was wondering if someone could explain what to tape up and how?

I understand covering seals, trim, but I'm more curious if for example, if I'm polishing the hood, near where the hood meets the fender, how should that area be taped up? Anyone have any pictures? Is blue painters tape acceptable?

You should be fine with just taping the seals, trim, emblems, and on the hood window washers - anything that would make the pads dirty, tear the pads, or something you don't want to get polish on/in. The PC is not strong enough to burn the paint, so you don't have to worry about edges. I would say leave any panel gaps open. If there is polish there it is a sign you are using too much polish. If you start by working towards the gaps any excess polish will have already spread out.

Blue or green 3m painters tape is fine, just don't use the Frog tape.

Additionally, I bought the PC "Brilliance" PC polish kit, and noticed that it did not have the Machine Super sealant, so I bought that and the appropriate pads yesterday. Good idea?

So, the final step is the "Americana" paste wax, and I am assuming that is only applied by hand?

MSS is great stuff for a daily driver. BUT if you apply it you will have to wait 12-24 hours for the sealant to fully cure before applying the BG & Americana. I often apply the MSS one weekend, then apply the BG & Americana after the wash the next weekend.

Americana goes on so easy by hand it is not really worth the time to do it by machine, though some still try!