Customer Service 866.965.0400

What would you do? (Job Advice)

Kingsford

Alright so I'm going to get personal here and I'm at the point where I really don't care.

I started my job as a Technology Assistant/Coordinator 4 years ago when I was 19 at a school district in Illinois. It was only supposed to be a temporary job for me, I planned on staying 1 year tops. Well plans changed and times changed. I decided to switch my career path back to Technology from Firefighting so I kept the job. I really love the people here and I feel extremely comfortable here and don't want to leave. Last year they moved me from part time to full time (20 hrs to 30 hrs a week). Not great but I get benefits. I'm barely making $25,000 a year doing what I do and it's really starting to get to me.

I went and took some classes to earn a little more responsibility around here and I am now certified to do all of our Apple repairs which is 75% of our repairs. When I started I was just a "Break Fix" guy and now I am doing server management, Apple repairs, asset management on top of the 800 help tickets I get in a 9 month school year.

This past year they started making cuts because Illinois sucks to live in. So I didn't get a raise and every single Aide in the school district got rifted for the 2012-13 school year....

I'm sick of living at home. I get threatened every day by my parents that I need to move out but I just can't afford it on my own or even if I had a roommate. I'm really at a loss what to do. The superentindates secretary says I should ask him for a raise and see what he says but I don't see it happening. I'm not even making Salary I'm paid hourly so that even sucks. I typed up a letter with some statistics if I do ask for a raise....

Any suggections? :help:

Do you have the summer off? If so, use that time to look for something else. Talk to your parents, help them understand that you are frustrated too. They might know some who knows someone...

No college education?

Still going. I'm taking online classes just because I have no time to go to class.

I have certifications, which in the computer world is better than a degree most of the time.

Do you have the summer off? If so, use that time to look for something else. Talk to your parents, help them understand that you are frustrated too. They might know some who knows someone...

No summers off. I don't want to leave this job because I want my bosses job and he's close to retirement but I need to find a way to live for the next 2-3 years before he retires.

What happend to Firefighting???

Have to be a Paramedic and I had a hard enough time passing the EMT class to get into the paramedic program. Not worth it and I'm not interested in anything medical. I wanted to cut people out of cars and fight fires not ride on the disease wagon and bring home all the nasty crap to my family.

I'd go talk to the boss. Reiterate your value to him and the company, particularly how you can be a huge asset in helping keep things smooth up to and through his retirement. Let him know that you're interested in his job and you're willing to commit to the company in exchange for more responsibility, a bit more money (whatever is fair), and the promotion when the boss retires. Most bosses love employees that show initiative. Anything that you can do to make his job easier/make him look better means more security and promise for you.

Show your parents that you have a plan and maybe pay a bit of rent to them, too, to prove that you're working toward independence. That may very well change their tune and buy you some time. :cheers:

It may be too far for you ... but just in case it isn't ... the company I work for is looking for a full-time technician to work in a data center in Elk Grove, IL. Great company, ranked 16th on Forbes List of 25 Fast Tech Companies. Growing at 39% annualized sales growth over the past five years. If you are interested just PM me and I can provide more info.

:cheers:

I have certifications, which in the computer world is better than a degree most of the time.

I'm not sure who told you that, but I would not consider that good advice. As someone who has worked in IT/Engineering for 17 years I can tell you that there is no substitute for a proper education. By saying proper I mean institutions of higher learning that award degrees. Certificates will only get you so far. In the IT world certification(s) over and above a degree, or degrees, is where and when you will get paid.

I'm not sure who told you that, but I would not consider that good advice. As someone who has worked in IT/Engineering for 17 years I can tell you that there is no substitute for a proper education. By saying proper I mean institutions of higher learning that award degrees. Certificates will only get you so far. In the IT world certification(s) over and above a degree, or degrees, is where and when you will get paid.

I would have to agree with this. A certification may help you get a job, but a degree will help you build a career. :2thumbs: