Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should the pad be picking up color like this?

Falcon Wing

Question

21 answers to this question

nope. You will just notice your pads clogging up with polish and the single stage paint fast. Might almost need 2 sets of pads to complete the car in a day. Lets see some pictures of the car!

They did seem to clog....and were very hard to clean. The orange one is sort of orange, and the white one will never be white again...

20120527_113310.jpg

No, I ordered the machine super sealant / pads and am waiting for that to arrive. So once that is applied, I see I should wait a day for it to cure, then I will glaze and then wax....so I looks like I will need 2 or 3 more days. Additionally, some parts I will be doing by hand.

Yep... thats single stage unfortunately. Either factory original or a respray... not sure what the cut off year was for your car, but its nothing to worry about.

Just be prepared to keep extra pads and towels at the ready for any detailing work as they'll get clogged up and stained pretty quickly. It won't do any long term harm to the supplies other than some staining, but so long as they're only for that car theres no problem.

On the bright side single stages (in my experience) always shine up REALLY nice.

I will echo what others have already said and confirm that it is single stage paint. As Dylan points out, not sure what the cut off year was but on the 348, it's most definitely single stage.

Now for the fun part. Unless you're the original owner of that car and know it's entire history, chances are pretty good that , some panels have been resprayed. Chances are also that the panels that were resprayed are base coat/clear coat, meaning on those panels, your pads will not turn red.

My advice would be to do a little test rub my hand on each panel, one at a time, and determine which are single stage and which are base/clear just so you can know how to polish. Be careful along the edges on the single stage panels as the paint will tend to be thin, especially on older cars.

Lots of folks bring me cars similar to this and are very proud to inform me that "it's the original paint".....and then I get to inform them that "no, it's not" since some parts are cleared and some parts are not. I have a regular Testarossa customer and the car has some single stage panels, some cleared panels, and 3 slightly different shades of red. There are also a few places where previous body shop and painter guys have burned through in an effort to blend the resprayed areas.

Good luck but with a little care, you should be fine.

- Darryl

No, I ordered the machine super sealant / pads and am waiting for that to arrive. So once that is applied, I see I should wait a day for it to cure, then I will glaze and then wax....so I looks like I will need 2 or 3 more days. Additionally, some parts I will be doing by hand.

Don't wait a whole day for it to cure. Wait 30 minutes, wipe it off. Then, wait about 12 hours in this climate, especially with this heat lately, inspect the paint for any high spots from the MSS, wipe those away, then feel free to BG and APW that thing. GREAT looking car man!

Just wondering if the "Revitalizer" might take some of that orange out of the white pad...Has anyone tried that yet or will it mess us the pad?

I've cleaned pads with the new MF Revitalizer. It's pretty cool! Works pretty okay too!

Not necessarily, but even with a VERY thorough cleaning you still may see pigment coming out during subsequent uses. Not a big issue most of the time, but if you use a pad that was buffing a single stage red car to correct a white car later you get redish/pink smears all over the place.

While not a HUGE issue still makes for a mess and more work.

Once the MSS is down, one coat of BG will suffice. From there, two thin coats of APW.

Thanks, I followed that this evening. I'm pretty happy with the results. ( a bit dull and overcast this evening for good pics) I spent about 14 hrs total I think. Now what do you do to maintain?

wax1.jpg

Edited by Falcon Wing