Customer Service 866.965.0400

new home speakers

J Tegeler

I am on the hunt to put together a new home theatre for enjoying my movies and some xbox games! I have a Yamaha reciever delivering 100 watts RMS of pretty clean power to each channel and an looking to put it to use. I would like to go with 2 tower speakers and a nice center then filled in with some nice surround channels. I am on a budged and space is an issue to an extent!

Right now I have been looking at some polk audio TSI300 towers and CS10 center speaker. and just some cheap Bose for the rear channels. This puts me at about $680. Anyone have a better system for roughly the same price? or reviews on polk towers and center? I would like to stay in the 600-750$ range WITHOUT a sub! I know we have some audio junkies on here..help me out :)

Polk Audio TSi300 (Black) Floor-standing speaker at Crutchfield.com

Polk Audio TSi CS10 (Black) Center channel speaker at Crutchfield.com

Bose® 161™ speaker system (Black) at Crutchfield.com

That is what I am currently looking at. Open to any and all advice and reviews!

No highs or lows, it must be Bose... It's something I heard a LONG time ago... There is better out there for less IMO. Not that Bose is bad... They have an AMAZING marketing dept.

Energy is another one to look at. I've always been impressed with their sound and price.

Chris

Being a audiphile I would recommend going with polk klipsch or some lower model martin logans. They are just a few of the good brands out there. Stay away from bose. B&W is another good brand if you can find a pair of used ones at BB. Check out audiogon for some good deals as well.

My neighbors have a set of LSi25's and they rock the house. What size room do you have and what is the receiver you will be using? The sad part about Yamaha recovers is they are usually lower powered than what they say on the box, upgrading to something like a pioneer elite with ICE amps would really be a step up or Denon.

3pedalmini will step in any time now....:lolsmack::loser:

the room is around 12'X20' nothign to huge. The yamaha reciever is what I will have to work with for now lol. I have read a lot of reviews on the polk speakers and have heard good things. I am in an apartment so I dont always need to be rocking the whole building lol. I am looking for some new rear channel speakers otehr than the bose now! I hate bose in car audio world :jester:

I am far from an expert but a friend who knows far more than I steered me to the Polk towers. I can't remember the model number but I think they are the 300's (approx. 36" - 40" tall). I flat out love them. I use an old set of Bose for the rear channel and for the base. There are likely far better setups but what I have sounds good to me.

I suspect you won't have any trouble annoying your neighbors with the Yamaha and the Polks.

Can't go wrong with any of those...I agree to stay away from Bose however..

My system is all Polk except for my mains..they're Klipsch I love my setup with the CS10 as the center mounted above my 51" Samsung. For the future I'd look at a wireless system for the rears, no more routing wires through the ceiling or around the entire room :rockon:

EDIT: You may want to shoot 3PedalMINI a PM or hopefully he can chime in..he does home audio/video for a living

Edited by SLOWpoke

Can't go wrong with any of those...I agree to stay away from Bose however..

My system is all Polk except for my mains..they're Klipsch I love my setup with the CS10 as the center mounted above my 51" Samsung. For the future I'd look at a wireless system for the rears, no more routing wires through the ceiling or around the entire room :rockon:

EDIT: You may want to shoot 3PedalMINI a PM or hopefully he can chime in..he does home audio/video for a living

How do you like the CS10?! cant get over the size of that speaker. I am planning on building a nwe entertainment center to fit everything.does it sound great? You dont notice an off balance with the horn loaded klipsch and a polk center?

How do you like the CS10?! cant get over the size of that speaker. I am planning on building a nwe entertainment center to fit everything.does it sound great? You dont notice an off balance with the horn loaded klipsch and a polk center?

I love it man! It was the best sounding for my price range I'll say that..yea there were and are better but they were more expensive as well..and I wasn't looking for "loud" I was looking for CLARITY, that's what a center channel is supposed to do..."Loud" and "power" come from your mains..I also don't notice an off balance, distortion, or delays from the CS10 paired with my klipsch speakers. Those are with TSIs in the rear and a polk sub as well (forgot the model) all powered with a Yamaha 500watt receiver.

Love the whole set-up..get a lot of compliments on it. Like I said ya can't go wrong with polk or klipsch IMO

I am now running into an issue of finding a way to arrange all of the system. I would need a dedicated spot for the center channel, my reciever, dvd player and xbox 360 and I have limited space to work with by the time I add the tower speakers next to the cabinet I build

I am now running into an issue of finding a way to arrange all of the system. I would need a dedicated spot for the center channel, my reciever, dvd player and xbox 360 and I have limited space to work with by the time I add the tower speakers next to the cabinet I build

I mounted mine above the TV using a wall mount meant for DVD players, cable boxes that sort of thing...its rated at being able to hold 33lbs far exceeding the 16lbs weight of the CS10 its worked out great!! ...and the mount was only like $40 at hhgregg.

Maybe something like that could work for you?? Idk..but here's a few pics hopefully they can get your creative but proper placement juices going :cheers:

Also ignore that stupid cable line to the left...tried hiding it..I just need to go get a longer one but...LAZY!!! LOL!

Headon.jpg

sideshot.jpg

Edited by SLOWpoke

I'd suggest staying with the same manufactures for the mains and center, less important for the rears but i still think you get better overall balance with a matched set. As said before, 3ped will have better advice on the brands.

One option for your price range would be Cerwin Vega package from Parts Express. Some people love then and some not so much lol But for movies and gaming you'll get plenty of bang for your buck. I'd probably recommend something different if music was the main focus of the system.

TOWER SPEAKERS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

You can put together a 5 speaker package for $500.

Edited by C6Bill

I'd suggest staying with the same manufactures for the mains and center, less important for the rears but i still think you get better overall balance with a matched set. As said before, 3ped will have better advice on the brands.

I agree at least same manufacture of center and fronts.

The center and fronts should be right around head height when sitting... Really, all speakers should be for best imaging IMO.

Here's mine... The center is in the cabinet and pushed back... Normally we'd have Farkles and what not, but we have a 21 month old and EVERYTHING is his toy! lol

The center actually sits flush in there and when sitting is almost ear height. The receiver, Dish Hopper, Apple TV, and all other equipment is in the basement. :2thumbs:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/313307-post1487.htm

As for the chip clip... See above (21 month old)... :D

Edited by Chewy

nice clean setup there Chris! really wish I had a house so I could mount my TV on wall and hide all the wires. With the center channel above the TV I will have to prop up the back so it puts the sound more twords the listening area. Wont be perfect but better than nothing