Customer Service 866.965.0400

MacBook Pro Retina

MAYBEN

I've been running PC for years, and have always had the same or similar issues. I'm a big fan of the way my iPhone and iPad work together, and add the MBP and viola!

I understand that I can get a FULLY LOADED PC Laptop for significantly cheaper, but I foresee having the same problems eventually..

I definitely want to get a MBP, whether its the retina display or not.. other than my experience with the two retina displays I have now, when you compare specs of the MBP and MBPR, it's only another couple hundred for a possible MUCH better display. I'm referring to matching the same components in the MBP to MBPR, knowingly that you lose the disc drive..

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running PC for years, and have always had the same or similar issues. I'm a big fan of the way my iPhone and iPad work together, and add the MBP and viola!

I understand that I can get a FULLY LOADED PC Laptop for significantly cheaper, but I foresee having the same problems eventually..

I definitely want to get a MBP, whether its the retina display or not.. other than my experience with the two retina displays I have now, when you compare specs of the MBP and MBPR, it's only another couple hundred for a possible MUCH better display. I'm referring to matching the same components in the MBP to MBPR, knowingly that you lose the disc drive..

What I've found is most against buying a Mac (not all) have never used them for more than a few minutes or since the Apple was multi-colored. I agree 100% that in a working environment (depending) it may not be the best choice. Although, with Parallels I am able to have W7 on my Mac and use Outlook and other needed programs. Really I just use Oulook and sometimes Excel. I use Macs for work and at home and find the lack of anti-virus protection, spyware program costs and costs to update to the newest versions a positive towards Mac. I'm not ignorant enough to believe that virus's don't exist for Mac's, but I've had one since 2006 and never gotten one. I will update my Macs to Mt Lion in the next few weeks... It'll cost me $19.99 which I'll do on the Mac app store and will be able to put on all three of my devices... 19.99 for ALL THREE Macs. If I had more it'd still be $19.99. There are NO DOUBT positives and negatives to both sides.

For those that comment that the Mac isn't serviceable by the owner... How many people percentage wise do you think truly service their own computers or add their own Ram? I think you'd be surprised to see it's a VERY low percentage.

Chris

For those that comment that the Mac isn't serviceable by the owner... How many people percentage wise do you think truly service their own computers or add their own Ram? I think you'd be surprised to see it's a VERY low percentage.

Chris

Technically, the MBP Retina isn't serviceable by the owner from what I've read..

But, I haven't upgraded my previous two laptops, and hopefully with what I may end up paying, wont have to with the MBP, lol..

Technically, the MBP Retina isn't serviceable by the owner from what I've read..

But, I haven't upgraded my previous two laptops, and hopefully with what I may end up paying, wont have to with the MBP, lol..

it isn't serviceable. It's like the MBA it's soldered to the motherboard. Upside with apple care if it starts to mess up, I just drop it and say gimme another one. :D

No way would I have shelled out my own personal money to get this thing. Being that I do this stuff for a living I'm not shy of working on my own machines. So windows and/or linux have always been my go to machines. I prefer windows, and run a VM on my work mac now. Also have a windows box I RDP into to use for outlook and just about everything else.

My MBPR should be here in 3 weeks, I'm guessing less since I ordered it through my company and we're a pretty big partner of Apple.

Windows can be very secure, as much as Mac, but it all depends on the user. If you give a complete novice with computers both a PC and a Mac, they'll mess up both one way or another. Everytime I remove virus' from peoples computers they'll tell me they click on fishy ads/links and download random things without thinking. I understand the "internet" is so huge for some to differ between the good and the bad, but it's not impossible for a PC to stay protected. You can have a Ferrari and a Hyundai, but both will get swirls if you don't know what you're doing, right?

Again not trying to convince you to go PC, just saying if you come across one you like and it's cheaper, maybe give it a second thought.

As for the MBP Retina; what are you really going to be using it for? If data is your biggest concern, definitely get the larger storage. However, don't worry too much about RAM/processor speed. Most processors these days can handle anything you throw at them. If most of the usage will consist of web browsing/watching videos/editing personal videos, listening to music, even an i5 will handle that with ease. I'm glad MBPR will go with SSD's; probably a bigger performance boost than RAM these days.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got another question, do any of you have the Time Capsule?

I will be getting one, but I'm wondering when the 'newer' one will be released..

Like anyone will know when an Apple device will be released. You'll get speculation at best.

The TC works great...

Chris

I know rumors are rumors..

but I noticed last night that supposedly Apple has released a new one each year.. I'm not sure how true that is, but is interesting enough to make me almost wait on the TC.. my luck is nothing will be released until after I buy the TC

Spoke to Apple this evening.. The rep was pretty sure that there would not be a new Time Capsule for some time..

This 4 week lead time is killer

I wouldn't take the "reps" word on anything. Apple keeps things quiet till the end. That being said, I don't see why you'd see a big change, unless they go to the newer WiFi channels I heard about. Get yourself a 1TB or more and you'll be good to go for years, or buy a Airport Extreme and backup to a virtual "cloud" HD.

I bought a 2TB 'refurb'.. the rep said its covered with the AppleCare and supposedly is an item returned that someone ordered, but was not ever opened until Apple receives it back and takes a look at it..

It saved me $20 more than my gov't pricing on a new.

If you cant upgrade the retina models I would be very cautious to get one unless you buy the fully decked out one at that really high price. I have an '09 MBP and I have no complaints on the screen quality. One thing I have read is that older programs/games/youtube whatanot that aren't updated look bad (much worse than regular MBP) on the retina screens. Haven't seen this for myself, just what I read so take that FWIW.

To get an idea of what RAM/hd prices for macs should be. look here: Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

They are a great company to buy stuff from and their SSD drives are very nice. I use the 3G model in my windows desktop and love it.

You will love whichever MBP you get. Windows laptops CANNOT touch the speed of a MBP, its not even a contest. Windows computers must run AV software which drags the speed down to a crawl no matter the hardware specs.

no worries.. when I looked at the store, I really liked the screen.. and when I comparably priced the MBP to MBPR feature for feature, the price was close..

I've never spent this much on a laptop, I darn sure hope I didn't make a mistake..

You will love whichever MBP you get. Windows laptops CANNOT touch the speed of a MBP, its not even a contest. Windows computers must run AV software which drags the speed down to a crawl no matter the hardware specs.

yeahhhhhhh that's not even close to true. I work in information security and with a host of different options for our users. We have labs with unix/linux users with Macs and/or Windows machines/boxes. ALL are prone to viruses and need some kind of protection. So the fallacy that you don't need AV protection on a MAC is incorrect at best, dangerous at worst. Macs are LESS prone to viruses, largely due to the lack of use in a corporate environment. Who wants to break into your mac and take your cute kitty pics? lol

So speed for speed they'll both be impacted. Spec'd up the same they should be comparable in speed. SSD's or Flash HD's are where the true speed lies now-a-days. Big N bad processors are great, but get an SSD and watch things really start to happen.

All computers are prone to attacks yes, but unix/linux/mac is orders of magnitude less and that is due to what you mentioned in how they are used and how many are out there.

I can't say how the speed of a mac would respond to running AV because I don't run it on mine (nor will I until macs actually become a target), but considering a true apples to apples comparison with no AV and similar specs, the linux/unix/mac environment is faster due to its inherit simplicity. That speed difference opens up to a huge gap once you start loading them with programs and over time. Windows clogs up and slows down every time. 3 years and I have yet to see a speed decrease with my mac, it is just as fast as the day I bought it.

Indeed, SSD's are absolutely where it is at in the speed dept. Computers quit getting noticeable faster (outside rendering or other serious computational intensive applications) at least 5 years ago. I'm just waiting on some really big SSD's to come out for cheap now. :/

After upgrading my gaming rig with a SSD I want to put them in all the computers I use. lol

Mayben: I don't think you will regret your purchase. My MBP is the first mac I bought and I have been completely satisfied with it and while the initial cost is higher, it lasts longer and is more stable. I won't get rid of my Windows desktops, but for laptops it is mac or nothing. lol

It's a lot better than iPhoto, which I used before. I never bothered with the Nikon software. I think it's a good way to organize photos, and the photo adjustment tools seem to be decent. Professionals may have need of better software but it suits my needs just fine. It handles Nikon RAW files no problem.

next question:

Screen Protection

From what I've read, with the MBPR being a glass screen, a protector is not necessary.. however, it appears the keys may affect the screen and a microfiber screen protector like this is recommended..

any opinions?