Customer Service 866.965.0400

MacBook Pro Retina

MAYBEN

next question:

Screen Protection

From what I've read, with the MBPR being a glass screen, a protector is not necessary.. however, it appears the keys may affect the screen and a microfiber screen protector like this is recommended..

any opinions?

I don't think this is a scratch issue as much as a oil/junk/etc issue due to the screen touching the keyboard... (with all the oil).. glass will tend to show oil more than a normal screen, and the MF doubles as a cleaning cloth.... so I would go for it for that purpose alone...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a HUGE apple hater. I bleed Android, love open source, and HATE being locked down like you are with Apple.

HOWEVER, I just spent 5k at the Apple store for work. I picked up the new MBPR with 2.7 i7, 16gb RAM, with 512gb Flash Storage and other goodies.

My options at work were to go with the IT offered W7 machine which was hella old and underpowered( not much better than my current W7 machine) OR upgrade to the top of the line Mac. My hand was forced. The Mac is still lacking pretty hardcore in an enterprise environment, especially with me working in information security. I'll have to run a VM quite a bit.

If you're buying for personal use don't waste your money. Stupid expensive, and not really worth it. If I had the option I woulda gone with one of the Windows Ultrabook options.

:iagree:

I appreciate the feedback, but this thread was not intended for an Apple vs PC match-up..

I purchased a MBP after using Windows for years and having similar issues each time.. time to try something else.

If you went through apple store to order it i hope you got apple care. I work at best buy my roommate works in the geek squad. We have gotten in a handful of Airs and one of the retina units for repair. We swapped out the retina unit. Everything is soldered on even the ram. And from my understanding the hard drive is a proprietary 1.8 inch ssd. Where a standard laptop harddrive size is 2.5. You could imagine where repairs could become costly. Here in the ozarks we get a lot of storms and a lot of shocked machines come through the store. Hard drives go out often.

OMG the wait is killing me..

each day my current laptop is getting worse.. After a couple weeks of trying different things, I was finally able to fix the Windows Installer and install Airport Utility so I can start putting my pictures on there in case the laptop fully kicks the bucket before I can do a migration

Does anyone use Aperture?

I've been looking at Nikon's Capture NX2 previously and now that I will have a MBPR, I am considering Aperture

Yep! I love it... Easy to use and works great for Raw on down...

I use a Nikon as well...

Haters will always hate... Haters are most DEFINITELY in the minority or Apple wouldn't be where it is.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

do tell, mine is BTO

They won't ship them to you if it's been recalled...

I know people are in an uproar over everything being soldered and glued, but so are our phones, and tablets and many other devices we use daily.

Soldering things in solid can actually help with performance now and later.

Also remember most of what you're hearing is hearsay and forums are a BAD place to make up your mind. 90% of the reason people come to a forum is to diagnose an issue they're having, therefore the products (no matter what it is) come across looking like junk. JMO

Chris

Edited by Chewy

I'm sure they wouldn't but I would like to think they would notify and say it will take x longer.. I've been stuck waiting since June 26 with an estimate of July 31st..

I'm sure they wouldn't but I would like to think they would notify and say it will take x longer.. I've been stuck waiting since June 26 with an estimate of July 31st..

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once you get it you'll forget about all of it...

It took me over 6 months to get my G8 from the time of ordering... OMG I was about to POP!

the wait is killing me..

do you use one of those ShaggyMac type protectors on your MBP Mr. Apple?

Yes... I think it's a Speck or something. It's clear and snaps on. Our Mac is an '09 I believe and looks new when you take it off. Love IT!

My wife wanted pink... HECK NO! I'm not walking around with a pink laptop anymore than I would a MS laptop... ;)

Chris

lol I should've been more specific..

they don't make something like that for the rMBP yet..

I'm referring to this:

slider1.jpg

If you plan on toting it around a lot it's not a bad idea... I've seen where the keys can hit the screens.

We don't have one. We don't have a screen cover either. My Wife used it for/at school, but now it just sits at home. We use our iPads or iPhones for 99% of everything.

The retina display is nice. Went to the store a few weeks ago and watched some hd YouTube vids on there pretty sweet. Make sure you buy apple care you never know if and when you may need it. The only thing I don't like about the new MacBook is the lack of a CD drive . I don't think the super HD screen justifies having no CD drive. I have an 2010 MBP just a little 13" but it's better than any PC that I have used.

Not to mention the easy sync with other apple devices. Now that I downloaded OSx Lion and iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 they work seamlessly together. Now I am anxiously awaiting Mountain Lion coming this month and iOS 6 coming this fall!

The retina display is nice. Went to the store a few weeks ago and watched some hd YouTube vids on there pretty sweet. Make sure you buy apple care you never know if and when you may need it. The only thing I don't like about the new MacBook is the lack of a CD drive . I don't think the super HD screen justifies having no CD drive. I have an 2010 MBP just a little 13" but it's better than any PC that I have used.

Not to mention the easy sync with other apple devices. Now that I downloaded OSx Lion and iOS 5 on my iPhone 4 they work seamlessly together. Now I am anxiously awaiting Mountain Lion coming this month and iOS 6 coming this fall!

I haven't missed a CD drive in my Mac Mini Server I have... I use the App store or download online. If I needed a CD drive, I'd buy a cheap external unit.

The less moving parts in a laptop the better IMO.

Chris

Supposedly they removed the CD drive to make it thin like the MBA..

However, I wish it had a Bluray drive built in..

as far as carrying it around, I'm sure I will at least once a month travel with it.. more often than not, the lid gets closed since I do not have a desk on my first floor..

I use my cd drive alot for DVD's.

I haven't bought a DVD in probably 3 years... We buy it on iTunes or wait till Netflix has it online to watch...

With an Apple TV and all apple devices this works the best for me. We don't even have a DVD or BR hooked to our TV. lol

Chris

I like Bluray though! lol

I'm sure I would too, but by buying it on iTunes, I can watch it on any one of our three iPhones, two iPads, MBP, here at work, and on our Apple TV.

It's a no-brainer for us.

When the boy is old enough, we'll strap one of the iPads to the headrest and let him watch it. Or, hook up the special video out adaptor to one of the iPhones and hook it into the input to the screen in the vehicle. :2thumbs:

Buying the in car DVD entertainment packages these days is a waste of money IMO.

Chris

Edited by Chewy