Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to FLEX and Adams 3 Step - Not getting desired results :(

CaptainChet

Question

Hello All,

Sorry this might be a bit long so please bear with me. New to this forum. I have been a PC user with other products for years, mainly on my previous C5 Vette (black) and a Porsche Boxster (dark burgundy) and got OK results. Never really truly removed all the fine scratches but close. To the casual observer, they are darn near perfect!

Now I have a 2010 C6 Vette, also black, and decided after seeing all the videos here I decided to order a FLEX and the complete 3 step system. So now I have it all and stated in on the test area. Sadly I'm not getting the results I had hoped based upon the videos. While I find the FLEX not all that difficult to use, certainly different from the PC, what is happening is after washing, clay bar, and following the 3 steps, my finish has a slight milky look and unfortunately still has minor scratching (can easily be seen it in direct sun). I have repeated the process two or three times, and I cannot seem to make any headway. In fact, it might be getting worse. Of course out of the sun, it looks just great, feels great etc.

So, perhaps someone can give me some idea of what might be causing me to not remove or maybe I'm adding new scratches and that slight MILKY look?

By the way, I have read almost every thread here and watched each video a few times. I know it's has to be me, but just can seem to figure it out.

Thanks all.

Hey Chet,

The possible answers are almost endless, but one thing that stands out for me is where you said "In fact, it might be getting worse." Typically that points to an issue with either over or under working the products... in most cases its under as people stop just short of flashing with SHR or SSR introducing some damage. On the other side FMP flashes rather quickly so people tend to go a little long on that product.

Any chance you can get a video uploaded to youtube of yourself doing a pass so we can get a better feel for your process? Doesn't have to be an Oscar winner, just a cell phone camera video or similar so we can get a feel for what your exact process looks like.

:worth:

In order to help you it would help us to post pics... with lights (Swirl finder or halogen) Is this the first detail? The paint may have had fillers and you are finding what was hidden underneath...

generally it sounds like its a process thing. Which polishes have you used... describe the process.... include amount of pressure use.... also describe how often you cleans pad, etc... how much polish... order flex from Adam with gen 4 pads? Gen 3? Adams polishes are designed to work with the pads for best results...

Need more info...

Quick side question in regards to Chet's issue. Would the chance of not doing a good strip wash before have anything to do with this? Could the previous products/waxes used on his Vette be interfering with the polishing results?

Dylan, thanks for the quick reply! I'll see if my video production company is available ( just joking) and try and make that video for you. It might be a day or so. I know...endless...

Gencoupe... I understand your need for pic's...but I'm sure you know what scratches look like :). The FLEX is new, the pads new are 4gen, the product arrived yesterday (in other words, all brand new) and the car was washed clean of all previous wax/polish/ etc before clay bar application. In fact, the clay bar was almost UN-necessary!

FYI, I might help to know that I have been detailing cars for about 30 years ( maybe more) so all this is not exactly new to me! What is new is the Adams products and the FLEX.

Hope that helps!

PIC of car before starting, like i said in the other thread, don't let good photo technique fool anyone, this Vett has it fair share of scratches etc. Also one before and after the first full 3 steps, if it helps.

Thanks for the replies so far.

myc6-1.jpg

Before:

c6before1.jpg

After

c6after1.jpg

Can you feel them with your fingernail?

Multiple Times...meaning you did multiple passes with each color to get you to the "After" in the pic? "Milky" tells me you underworked some of the product, and maybe overworked others.

I look forward to the video.

Mook

I'm having a similar issue on my black lotus. It's not as bad as the vette's picture, but I can't seem to get the scratches out that I CAN'T feel on my fingernails. I've stripped everything and watched the tutorial videos more than 11 times to make sure I'm using the same technique.

I am, however, using a porter cable. Despite this, I've gone over it 4 times (about 2-3 minutes each pass with the pad; setting 6) and still not impressed with the results of the 3 step system.

Mook, no i cannot feel these at all.

Each pass (meaning the use of each of the three products with multiple passes per product, until it turns like Vaseline) and did that three times. What you say about overworking/underworking might have some merit as these are new products to me and not a familiar with their use as I am the 'other' ones.

For one thing, you shouldnt move to the next step with scratches like that still visable. Hit that area with the green pad and green polish until the major scratches and swirls are gone, then (and only then), do you move to the next step.

I'm having a similar issue on my black lotus. It's not as bad as the vette's picture, but I can't seem to get the scratches out that I CAN'T feel on my fingernails. I've stripped everything and watched the tutorial videos more than 11 times to make sure I'm using the same technique.

I am, however, using a porter cable. Despite this, I've gone over it 4 times (about 2-3 minutes each pass with the pad; setting 6) and still not impressed with the results of the 3 step system.

Theres your problem right there.... WAY over working the products. A pass shouldn't take 2-3 minutes if you're working 1 panel at speed 6. The products simply don't have that long of a work time.

Theres your problem right there.... WAY over working the products. A pass shouldn't take 2-3 minutes if you're working 1 panel at speed 6. The products simply don't have that long of a work time.

this was after I attempted to correct the paint with less than 2-3 minutes per pass for three times. I didn't see any difference so I applied as much pressure and went very thorough until it was "flashing" on my 4th time for 2-3 minutes. I should have been more clear.

I'll have it another go but with less time. I'm definitely not over applying (using 2 pea sized drops like junkman did) I'll come back with some pictures if I can.

Also try backing your speed down a little... 6 isn't always necessary... if you notice artifacts after working it may be the speed is too high for your particular paint. Try speed 5 instead.

I'll try that as well

(loving your fast reply :rockon:)

UPDATE of interest. So I decided to give the exact same technique on the Porsche. It's paint is actually in much worse shape, very classic swirls etc. Pretty usual if I were to photograph it.

So, I do the same three polishes with the Flex as I did on the Corvette only this time I get almost perfect results!! Just like I expected. Is it perfect? Of course not, but all the swirl marks are gone and 99.5% of the scratches. This was on the hood and the car is an 06 Boxster.

So now the puzzle is to figure out what the differences are between these two paints when it comes to the use of the FLEX with the Adams polishes! The mystery will get solved, that much I'm sure of.

I know corvettes and german cars have hard clear coats, I know I had the worst time with a Mercedes CC last weekend.

x2

I've worked on a few Vetts and BMW's with the PC. The paint wasn't perfect to me and I know I could've done more, but the customers were very happy. I would try the 4" focus pads on it and see what you end up with. Good luck.

Dream Workz Auto Detailing using Tapatalk

x2

I've worked on a few Vetts and BMW's with the PC. The paint wasn't perfect to me and I know I could've done more, but the customers were very happy. I would try the 4" focus pads on it and see what you end up with. Good luck.

Dream Workz Auto Detailing using Tapatalk

4" focus pads on the PC or drill?

4" focus pads on the PC or drill?

Hes not going to polish the whole car that way and from the sounds of it the issue is all over.

UPDATE of interest. So I decided to give the exact same technique on the Porsche. It's paint is actually in much worse shape, very classic swirls etc. Pretty usual if I were to photograph it.

So, I do the same three polishes with the Flex as I did on the Corvette only this time I get almost perfect results!! Just like I expected. Is it perfect? Of course not, but all the swirl marks are gone and 99.5% of the scratches. This was on the hood and the car is an 06 Boxster.

So now the puzzle is to figure out what the differences are between these two paints when it comes to the use of the FLEX with the Adams polishes! The mystery will get solved, that much I'm sure of.

Porsche paint is fairly soft in my experience, so thats part of it. Corvette paint is about as hard as it gets... but that still doesn't entirely explain what I'm seeing in those pictures, that level of damage looks totally correctable, even on a vette.

For one thing, you shouldnt move to the next step with scratches like that still visable. Hit that area with the green pad and green polish until the major scratches and swirls are gone, then (and only then), do you move to the next step.

One thing I found out,, Patience is a virtue when polishing. Man take you time,, and get it down before moving on. :pc:

hmm okay. I know that the video says that they don't recommend covering the whole car with 4" drill, but I do have the focus pads on the way.

I got burnt out after 3 days of detailing so I just decided to seal it up and put glaze and wax for now. In about 2 months or so I'll strip everything down and have at it again.

I wasn't sure if the scratches were just on a few areas. That is why I suggested the 4" Focus Pads. Like Dylan and the video said you shouldn't work the whole car with those.

I use them like they are called. If I have to "Focus" on one little area to correct, then I will bust the drill out with the Focus Pads.

I agree 100% with slowing your speed down, the C6 clear is extremely hard but it likes a little slower speed to correct. I never go over 5 on a PC or a Flex.

My advice, set that Flex to 5 use a White pad with FMP and slowly work one area until you get the results you are after. It will clear right up, you shouldn't even need a more aggressive polish.

I agree 100% with slowing your speed down, the C6 clear is extremely hard but it likes a little slower speed to correct. I never go over 5 on a PC or a Flex.

My advice, set that Flex to 5 use a White pad with FMP and slowly work one area until you get the results you are after. It will clear right up, you shouldn't even need a more aggressive polish.

Thanks C6, sounds like you speak from experience! Maybe that's why I got good results with the PC on my C5? I'll give that a shot and let you know. Sometimes the opposite of what you think provides the best results!

:lolsmack: