Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to FLEX and Adams 3 Step - Not getting desired results :(

CaptainChet

Question

Hello All,

Sorry this might be a bit long so please bear with me. New to this forum. I have been a PC user with other products for years, mainly on my previous C5 Vette (black) and a Porsche Boxster (dark burgundy) and got OK results. Never really truly removed all the fine scratches but close. To the casual observer, they are darn near perfect!

Now I have a 2010 C6 Vette, also black, and decided after seeing all the videos here I decided to order a FLEX and the complete 3 step system. So now I have it all and stated in on the test area. Sadly I'm not getting the results I had hoped based upon the videos. While I find the FLEX not all that difficult to use, certainly different from the PC, what is happening is after washing, clay bar, and following the 3 steps, my finish has a slight milky look and unfortunately still has minor scratching (can easily be seen it in direct sun). I have repeated the process two or three times, and I cannot seem to make any headway. In fact, it might be getting worse. Of course out of the sun, it looks just great, feels great etc.

So, perhaps someone can give me some idea of what might be causing me to not remove or maybe I'm adding new scratches and that slight MILKY look?

By the way, I have read almost every thread here and watched each video a few times. I know it's has to be me, but just can seem to figure it out.

Thanks all.

This is just a suggestion here but when it comes to SSR maybe try a speed slower than 5 like 4 or even 3. My brother n I have slowed it down on our cars because the SSR seems to dry out and dust to quickly slowing it down a little allowed us to work the product longer. Please realize I am not going against Dylan, Adam or anyone else but this has worked for me so its a shot also try keeping the product on the panel and moving on to the next stage polish instead of removing the between each pass. Also get some IPA and try wiping down the panel after completing all the polishes.

Thanks C6, sounds like you speak from experience! Maybe that's why I got good results with the PC on my C5? I'll give that a shot and let you know. Sometimes the opposite of what you think provides the best results!

:lolsmack:

You'll get there :thumbsup:

So you're happy now right?

Looks great!

I wasn't unhappy so to speak, just disappointed (in me) that I was not getting the results that I know the FLEX and the Adams products are capable of delivering. :) I am happy that I'm getting the hang of it, that's for sure!!

Glad you got it corrected, I was going to ask if you bought your vette new or used because in 06 I purchased an 06 GTO new. Black on black wasn't in stock so it had to be shipped in from another dealer. Well when I picked it up it was amazing! A few months and washes later I noticed the black was dull so I decided to clay, polish and wax but it looked the same. Well I come to find out the previous dealer had put that paint protector, perma plate I think, on and that was the reason I had a milky finish.

I wasn't unhappy so to speak, just disappointed (in me) that I was not getting the results that I know the FLEX and the Adams products are capable of delivering. :) I am happy that I'm getting the hang of it, that's for sure!!

BOOM! I love a success story!

Definitely looks like you're on the right track now... once you log some more time with it too you'll be able to diagnose and adjust based on the task at hand. You'll get a little better with each session and eventually it will be 2nd nature.

:thumbsup:

So, are you saying that you went from this:

c6after1.jpg

To this

c6after2.jpg

By doing only 2 passes of FMP/White pad on speed 4?

???

Yup, that's what I'm saying :) Now, the second photo is a bit further back so it looks somewhat better but yes, slowing down to a 4, for my technique, it was did that! Bear in mind, that first photo is greatly magnified, and with the naked eye, it was nearly impossible to see all that. The white dots are left over polish actually, I make the mistake of not re shooting the pic with them all removed. The camera and flash set to macro just makes things looks about as bad as it can get. If you look closely, you will still see a scratch just above the flash bright spot.

I should say this is a Daily Driver and the goal for me it to get it to the point where just hitting it once a every other week or so with the FMP/White pad and some protection (still undecided on what to use for that) will give me a finish that looks getter than the average daily driver.

Chet,

Good to see you are getting much better results. It looks like a few of the scratches may be deeper than just the 3 polishes can take out, but if they are too deep often you can at least soften the edges and reduce the appearance... As far as I can tell the issues was polish underworked (hazing) and slowing the speed helped you with that....

I know I learn something new almost every time I detail.... (I am still testing products as well as techniques)

[m]

awesome!

im hitting my camaro ss (black) this weekend for the 1st time with the FLEX ...

im a bit skitzy about it, but Im hoping it goes well! NICE VIDEO, too!!! Great!

I know this is an older thread, but I don't think folks realize sometimes the variability of buffing to get a perfect shine. I've run into this myself and damn near drove myself crazy trying to figure out varying amounts of pressure/non-pressure, speed of movement, speed of machine, etc.

Just this last weekend while working on the Toyota FJ I was working on I ran into this similar situation. Thinking more because I didn't work the SHR enough and it was a tall task for the FMP. Backing my flex down to speed 4 and not working FMP so long long I got to perfection on 90%+ of the panels. These were tiny swirl like imperfections that even my halogens wouldn't pick up.

So this thread is a good example that sometimes you have to step outside of the box of what you see on the Adams vids to get the desired results.

Excellent point suke.

What it amounts to is we try to give you the basics, and make it really simple, but we can't feasibly prepare you for every possible scenario on every possible car. Hopefully though we can arm you with a basic understanding of the process, or help you find that understanding.... once you're there you can start to apply that knowledge to troubleshoot, diagnose, and adjust technique to get the job done.

Plus, its always cool when you come up with an 'outside the box' fix to a problem on your own.

So, are you saying that you went from this:

c6after1.jpg

To this

c6after2.jpg

By doing only 2 passes of FMP/White pad on speed 4?

???

That was my same exact thought. I'm glad I saw this thread as I have a similar issue and possibly even more severe. I was using the PC on 5 and even tried on 6 plus the SSR and wasn't getting anywhere near the results I wanted. I never thought to slow the speed down.

Because I also own a vette (Z06) and it has hard clear, I just upgraded to a Flex and hope to produce similar results as you did here. I'll try it on the recommended 5 with the SSR and if that doesn't work, I'll back it down to 4 and see if I can get the similar results as you did. :2thumbs: