Customer Service 866.965.0400

Disappointed with first use of Wool Wash Mit...

L1lD3v1lRydr

Question

Finally got a nice day today to break out my new Wool Wash mitt and wash the ss really good. And sadly, I'm kind of disappointed with it. I don't know if I didn't do something the same as I usually do. But it didn't lather at all. Almost like it just soaked up the water in the bucket and washed all the soap out when I pulled it out and put it on the car.

Used the two bucket wash, sprayed down with Adam's foam gun, started up top with the wool mitt and worked down to the middle, and I hardly had any suds at all. Washed from the middle down using Adams Medium wash pad, same bucket, same soap and water, and it lathered really nicely as it always does.

Something else I noticed, and I'm assuming it's normal, but all the hairs/fibers pull out of the mitt pretty easily and were left on the emblems and wipers after I washed and dried.

Any one else have issues like this?

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cleaning the mitt prior to the first use is recommended... we've had a couple of threads about it here already.

Pretty much for the exact reasons you're describing:

1) It probably still has some loose hairs in it from manufacturing.

2) It can still have some natural oils in it from the animal (it is wool afterall) and oils will kill/repel soap suds.

Just clean it well with APC and rinse, it should be fine.

Cleaning the mitt prior to the first use is recommended... we've had a couple of threads about it here already.

2) It can still have some natural oils in it from the animal (it is wool afterall) and oils will kill/repel soap suds.

Thanks Dylan! Guess I should've searched around a bit first. I also figured it was something I was doing cause that's usually my luck! HA.

Again, thanks for the quick reply, I'll try cleaning it really well and next bath I give her I'll post updates :cheers:

Piece of paper OR tag on mitt cuff when sold, stating above would be good.

Piece of paper OR tag on mitt cuff when sold, stating above would be good.

^This...

I ordered the mitt with the daily deal the other day, and I didn't even notice anything. But I could've search around a bit more too! Ha.

I've cleaned my merino mitt a couple times with APC, and used it countless times to wash my car, and it still doesn't hold suds like the wash pads do. It soaks up water great but just doesn't seem to hold the soap.

I've cleaned my merino mitt a couple times with APC, and used it countless times to wash my car, and it still doesn't hold suds like the wash pads do. It soaks up water great but just doesn't seem to hold the soap.

im kinda in the same boat as you

I find myself using alot more soap looking for those missing suds.

but i would imagine the mitt being much less likely to induce scratches since it's softer than almost anything when wet.

I love my Merino wool wash mit. It definitely is much softer than any other wash mit I have used. I will usually presoak my car with my foam gun first and then go over each panel with the mit, using the two bucket wash method after each panel. 44031ec0-7c26-ed75.jpg

That's been my observation as well... Not complaining however... I just purchased two new synthetic wash pads... :thumbsup:

My car is a DD and therefore gets DIRTY... Not dust dirty, but oil, grease, tar dirty... I find the Merino hard to see this dirt and remove it. :o Therefore the tan synthetic pads are the best for me. If it was a garage queen and got nothing but a bit of dust on it, I'd be all over the Merino.

When the syn pads get spent, I toss them and grab a new one. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chewy

I love the wool mit, but it doesn't hold soap as well. The problem I have with the large wash pad is I only have regular sized buckets and I think those hold so much water you need about a 20 gallon bucket.

I love the wool mit, but it doesn't hold soap as well. The problem I have with the large wash pad is I only have regular sized buckets and I think those hold so much water you need about a 20 gallon bucket.

Buy the 9"... :2thumbs: They're easier to clean in your hand as well...

I dump and refill my buckets part way through a cleaning anyway.

The Merino is relatively new... Up until this year I used the synthetic with ZERO issues. I'll continue... :2thumbs:

Chris

Edited by Chewy

I love mine, and have no issues with the suds holding up. Although I did use Dylan's advice that he mentioned when I first received it.

"Just clean it well with All Purpose Cleaner and rinse, it should be fine."

I use the foam gun so there is already soap on my finish. Whatever soap the pads bring them is extra gravy AFAIC(as far as I'm concerned). Love the wool pad. The synthetic pad only touches the bottom third of my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of disappointed... I've only ever heard good things about this wash mitt, and now everyone seems to be saying the same thing that it doesn't hold suds like the wash mitt's, and isn't the sud's what keeps the dirt from inducing scratches and swirls into the paint?

Kind of disappointed... I've only ever heard good things about this wash mitt, and now everyone seems to be saying the same thing that it doesn't hold suds like the wash mitt's, and isn't the sud's what keeps the dirt from inducing scratches and swirls into the paint?

Pay attention to what Dylan and I are saying, although I don't know if I've popped in here yet.

Take your wash bucket, fill it with hot water, 4 oz. APC. Mix it up, soak mitt in there for a few hours. Then rinse Mitt with water until it's no longer APC filled.

It should work swimmingly. Mine do.

Pay attention to what Dylan and I are saying, although I don't know if I've popped in here yet.

Take your wash bucket, fill it with hot water, 4 oz. APC. Mix it up, soak mitt in there for a few hours. Then rinse Mitt with water until it's no longer APC filled.

It should work swimmingly. Mine do.

Swimmingly eh? lol. I'll give that a shot. But only because you said "Swimmingly"

Suds aren't necessarily what keeps the paint safe it's just the mixture of soap and water, suds just make it easy to see

THAT I couldn't disagree more with!!!

Suds help lift and suspend the dirt away from the paint as well as lubricate the pad against the paint. (one in the same)

Sent from the past using special algorithms and data nodes!

Edited by Chewy