Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help - Paint Overspray all over

redhawk243

Question

Ok guys and girls, the wife's 2009 Chevy Cobalt got covered from front to back in white paint overspray while parked at work.

The guilty party has cut everyone a $400 check to clean up the vehicles. So instead of chancing someone else screwing up the car, I decided to keep the money and do it myself and getting a PC kit.

I've already tested removing the damage on the glass and a test area on the paint and it's coming off without a problem with a claybar and detail spray.

Any tips or tricks on the process of doing the whole car? There's even spray on the black window trim and wiper cowl.

Any help would be helpful, thanks in advance!

Alex

Edited by redhawk243

13 answers to this question

Adam's car shampoo with 2 oz of ll purpose cleaner and wash the entire car

Clay bar the entire car, doing the trim peices last. Use 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire bar.

If you have a trouble spot, 50/50 water and all purpose cleaner.

If this fails, a microfiber towel and WD40.

Wash the car again.

You will need to wax you car again.

I would carefully try isopropyl alcohol and if that didn't work just resort to any other alcohol to ease your pain:lolsmack:

IPA (isopropyl alcohol) then IPA (Indain Pale Ale)?

I have had luck with claybar taking paint overspray off a neighbor's car. Came out great. I would make sure to have a couple bottles of DS and an extra clay bar to use after the strip wash.

They claying will take longer than normal with that overspray on there, but clay it until the baggie test indicates that everything is nice and smooth. Then grab the PC and get down to business! :)

If the plastic has stubborn overspray, you may need to to use some thinner on a MF towel. Be sure to do a small spot first, and that's the only hard part of removing overspray.

The paint & glass will be easy. The cowl, and other plastic can be tough, and the $400 might come in handy to pick up some new plastic for the car.

I'm tuned into this thread, please keep us posted!

:thumbsup:

pardon the recommendation of another companys product, but since even adams use's Clay magic clay, I would highly recommend the RED aggressive claybar for the paint if the fine gray bar is not working fast enough. removing overspray is going to cause marring no matter which grade of bar is used.

I'm sure adams fine polish will easily remove it anyway.

Also , adams recommends thinner, something safer is a product called "body Solvent" by a well known company you could probably google.

You could probaby get it done with some other products, but like you I have had to deal with this same issue all over a car. paint , plastic, glass, rubber, just about every surface. and I found a combo of both of these products along with half decent technique to do the job swiftly.

Ideally you will want to machine polish the car afterwards either way.

also, claybar works great on plastic and even hard rubber trim. basically try using it everywhere.

:)

So....I put this off for way too long and started to tackle the job today.

I stripped the car with Dawn, I've clayed the whole car and after several hours, my hands hurt. lol

The paint, glass, and lights look pretty good, but I'm having trouble cleaning the window trim, cowl, and side mirrors as they're unpainted.

I'm going to try to use some 50/50 APC first, if that doesn't work I'll try IPA.

Here's hoping! :xfingers:

Oh, and after correcting, machine super sealant....but I have to wait a day? to put any glaze on it correct? Also I can put American on top right?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks in advance!

So I worked on the car 9am to 6pm, needless to say I'm tired.

I ended up using Quick Sealant instead of the Machine Sealant only because I had been working on the car so long and I had a blister on each hand from the PC I'm guessing... so I didn't want to go over the car another time.

Everything came out great being that this was the car's first correction in 3 years of ownership except that I couldn't get the overspray off the trim or the mirrors.

I'm going to try again later with IPA or maybe even the last recommendation from another company.

Thanks Adam for all the great products! Pics to come soon.