Customer Service 866.965.0400

Texting and Driving

694doorbird

It's not just texting. It's any other activity that requires a driver to take their eyes off the road ahead of them. I see people reading books, maps, shaving, applying makeup as well as fiddling with the radio or other systems in their vehicle. It's called inattentive driving.

It's like everything else. The few bad apples make it worse for the rest that are responsible and know how to handle that responsibility. So as a society we are forced to come up with solutions like the no texting while the phone is moving more than ten

Miles per hour. I am totally willing to vote for that. It seems to me that if there is a safer way to keep people from texting and driving, that it trumps people's "feeling like" they wanna text while on a bus or as a passenger. It is such a small inconvenience compared to the overall Benefit. And, really, it's just texting. Who cares if there is a restriction put on it? Is it really THAT important???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. just no.

Here's a case that just wrapped up in Massachusetts last week for a teen who was texting while driving. I'm sure there will be more in the future with possible longer jail time to send a message to others (not a text message of course). But like DaveVY said it won't stop.

Massachusetts teen convicted of homicide in texting-while-driving case - CNN

Yep got off easy! And just like the typical American...blame someone else for what you did.

I have an Irish background, and apt at drinking. That doesn't make me a good drunk driver.

I hear you. Irish, German & Italian. I got wine, whiskey and beer all wrapped up and still would not be a good drunk driver.

I really hope that a few people get sued really hard for texting and driving accidents, and then the insurance companies and lawmakers will really take notice. Maybe name the phone companies as plaintiffs, too. I'm already hearing that commercial companies are telling employees not to text and drive since if they got in an accident while driving for the company the company could be sued. Normally I hate lawsuits, but in this case I think they need to go to town and sue, sue, sue until people are finically afraid to text/talk and drive.

insurance companies are well aware of texting and driving. Unfortunately we aren't able to enforce the laws. We can increase premiums for having an at fault accident, etc. all we can do is investigate as much as possible to see if texting was involved and provide the statistics.

Almost everyone denies being distracted, but we know that isn't the case. I'd love nothing more than having the authority to get someone's cell records. In some cases we can subpoena the records but not for every accident. Privacy comes into play.

There is so much out there to distract drivers: cell, texting, mp3, passengers, DVDs, smoking, kids, etc.

Combine that with road rage, DUI, sleep deprived, etc

Drivers who are not attentive have accidents. Accidents didn't start happening with this technology, just got a LOT worse.

I really wish the punishment were more severe for injuries or fatalities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely against texting and driving. I'm glad it's illegal to do here in Massachusetts yet I still see people doing it all the time. The thing is, people are stupid, and it's hard to legislate common sense. And when you try to make something idiot-proof, someone just comes up with a better idiot.

I have to agree with this 100%

Problem is people take things for granted anymore, and take no responsibility for their actions. That's why we have so many law suits in this country.

I always said if all vehicles were stick shift, then maybe people wouldn't have a chance to be so distracted, and would be better drivers. :D

C'mon transporter technology! (Just think, it would free up the roads for people who want to actually drive for the love of it :burnout: )

I've almost been rear ended umpteen times because of people texting...

I watch my mirrors all the time for this, I used to drive without my trailer hitch in, but once I got to Va Beach, i put it back on. It may be a jerk move, but if you don't want to pay attention to the road, so be it.

Beside texting and driving, another thing that really gets under my skin is the local police driving around gabbing on their phones. Granted they are trained to multitask while driving, but they need to stay off the phone while driving.

Beside texting and driving, another thing that really gets under my skin is the local police driving around gabbing on their phones. Granted they are trained to multitask while driving, but they need to stay off the phone while driving.

SERIOUSLY! They do that around here ALL THE TIME, too. Talking on the phone while driving here is illegal, but it's not a primary offense, so they can't pull you over for it. But I ALWAYS see people talking while running red lights, rolling through stop signs, going too fast for conditions, not having lights on at dusk or in the rain, etc. I swear you'd need to be dragging a bloody body down the road behind you to get pulled over here -- all while more and more speed cameras snap away and fill the county's coffers.