Customer Service 866.965.0400

California Duster

jdubrr

Question

Does anyone use them? I usually use it in between car washes after a few days when my car gets dusty. I dust it off then use an instant detailer and go over the entire car. I just got my PC detailing kit and haven't used it yet, but my question is does the duster potentially scratch the paint?:lurk:

17 answers to this question

Dry removal of abrasive particles is rarely a great idea.... as standard practice we look for people using them at car shows b/c they make the best demo vehicles all swirled to hell.

There are some who will say they're safe if used a specific way, which I agree to an extent, if used very cautiously they'll cause LESS damage, but if youre looking to maintain perfect I don't recommend them.

The safest way to remove dust is always going to be by lubricating the surface and the contamination so it can be removed with minimal chance for damage. If your vehicle was muddy you would use soap and water right? So to remove dust you should still have some lubrication.

IDEAL scenario is to not touch the car at all... if you have something like the blaster sidekick or master blaster you can actually BLOW the majority of the dust off, then use waterless to address anything minor.

I've actually had to adopt that method recently. Construction started on new homes about a block from me, so the dust level doubled! I spend about 5-10minutes blowing loose dust from the paint with my sidekick first, then just go back over to address the remaining dust with WW and a couple WW towels.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Search function bro!

Haha but no. Do not use. You'll find a dozen threads about how CA dusters are your finish's are you worst nightmare. I use to use it before I corrected my paint and then proceeded to use it after. The first time I used it after correcting my paint it was in the trash. I had to recorrect the next weekend

The little one -- for doing dashboards -- is great! Just don't use it on the clear plastic over your gauges.

I will admit that I very occasionally very carefully use on my my car if there's a little bit of "soft" dust that will come right up. I'm careful not to let it generate any significant pressure on the paint, though.

Does anyone use them? I usually use it in between car washes after a few days when my car gets dusty. I dust it off then use an instant detailer and go over the entire car. I just got my PC detailing kit and haven't used it yet, but my question is does the duster potentially scratch the paint?:lurk:

They do work great on the dash and instruments though.

I use mine now for stuff like patio furniture and my tool boxes. It never touches my paint anymore.. I did a taped off test area and was AMAZED what it did damage wise. I wish I had taken pictures of that.. To each their own thought.

I love my california duster, on a daily driver with soft clear coat and being black I have no issues using it when it is done PROPERLY. OP search for older threads, there are still a lot of people who use them.

Just curious...not arguing with you but I would love if you would explain what you consider "using it properly"? Thanks

Only you know how dirty they are. If they look even remotely dirty, time for a wash.

California Dusters. A detailer's best friend, as they keep business coming back all year. You couldn't pay me enough to use one of those, in my opinion, pieces of garbage.

I'll gladly, and safely, use WW and DS all day.

Mook

Jason, I normally will only do one wipe down with a towel before I put it in the "to be washed" pile. However, I will inspect it, and it still looks clean, I may use it again on the wheels and lower molding area of the car, or to get the bugs of the front of the vehicles.

Just curious...not arguing with you but I would love if you would explain what you consider "using it properly"? Thanks

I fallowed junkman's videos on how to use it properly. I can try explaining but I recommend taking a look at his video's.

If there is any actual dirt on your car you need to wash it, however dust can be removed fine.

Instead of just laying the duster on the paint you must only let the ends touch the paint and lightly wipe them away.