Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Injury!

JBlack151

Had a few jobs doing some washes this weekend for clients looking to keep their shine from previous work I've done on their vehicles. As I was in the middle of a 2 bucket wash yesterday morning I threw my back out after washing off the lower portion of the car.

I made it thru the rest of the wash, and also thru the next wash. Was in complete pain all day yesterday and had to do one more wash with a coat of wax this morning for a client. Thankfully I spent most of the time on the Detail Seat, however the pain is horrible now.

Question for you guys. Do you think it's worth going to a chiropractor first or should I see a doctor? Also, and tips for medicine, Advil, Icy Hot? I'm 32 years old and in great shape except for this now. Plus I have some serious work lined up for next weekend.

Happy Father's Day everyone!

A chiropractor would probably get you feeling better quicker. They will want to do an xray and treat you forever, so be aware of that. They like to fix the condition then do preventive maintenance. Your insurance company will have a set number of visits to a chiropractor for each calendar year.

My dad use to go to one until the pain was gone then quite. He knew his back was 'out' and I was too big to walk on it and pop it back in place anymore.

Here is my opinion. I used to be leery of chiropractors till my manager told me of the one that I currently see. If they are wanting to do a bunch of X-rays they are just milking you. The guy I see has never done an X-ray on me and I have been seeing him for about 18 years now. I go about once every six months to a year for an adjustment. The electrode thing that he hooks me up to after adjustment I find to be the most beneficial. Feel like jello after leaving. You may have to go atleast once a week for about a month to get feeling better, back to 100%.

My wife had visited several before I met her and thought they were all quacks. I finally convinced her to go see him. She had numbness in a thumb that she had had forever and none of the previous chiropractors did anything for her, but milk her for money. He fixed it first visit. Just have to be cautious, and ask around. The guy I see is honestly the only one I trust. But then again I have had no need to look for another. I have referred several people to him and none have not liked him.

Thanks guys. This is killing me since I am always doing something. I can't just sit and relax, especially with this awesome weather we're having here. I just tried to go out and trim up our hedges. That didn't work out to well, but I got most of it done. I might go grab the Detail Seat and polish up my billet grille now.

Going to call a local chiropractor in the morning and see what the soonest available appointment is. I'll ask him some questions first about his opinion to what it could be and talk to him about x-rays, etc.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

You might think Iam a nut for asking this, but a lot of people overlook it. With it being warmer outside are drinking plenty of water and staying hydrated with something that replenishes electrolytes? i.e. gatorade. There is much better things on the market today than gatorade, but gatorade is easy to obtain. Lack of fluids will cause muscle cramping as well.

Chiropractors can help, they can also not help. There are different schools and techniques in chiro just like there are different techniques in detailing.

Try a chiro, if they don't give you relief in a couple visits, go somewhere else. My Bride has to have a chiro who uses a certain technique, other techniques make her condition worse.

Ask around and realize that different bodies need different techniques. Once you find one that works well for you... keep them!!

In the meantime, I would try to ice for 10 minutes at a time to help reduce inflammation. Icy/Hot stuff also works well for me to help the muscles relax.

Hope you feel better soon!

:cheers:

I will always choose acupuncture over a chiro any day of the week. Different things work for different folks.

Is your injury muscular? Is it in the bones so to speak? TryIng to figure out what the back injury is, then attacking that problem seems more logical.

Feel better bro.

Mook

Is your injury muscular? Is it in the bones so to speak? TryIng to figure out what the back injury is, then attacking that problem seems more logical.

Not sure what it is. It deep in my lower back. Can't tell if it's on my spinal cord or in the muscles on each side of the spinal cord.

I've never had to deal with this so I appreciate the advice guys. I forgot about acupuncture though. Going to look into that.

The good thing is I finished polishing on my billet grille! Came out awesome. Then watered all the lawn and plants. Back resting now but it tightens up really bad when I rest.

John, Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? And if so do you sit on it? Do you have pain shooting down the backside of either leg to your knee cap?

Nope, keep the wallet in my front pocket.

Nope, keep the wallet in my front pocket.

Just had to ask. I know that is what caused my initial back issues years ago. I haven't had them since. It may just have been something crazy that you did. I have seen guys at work injure their back just by picking up their keys. Just going to ask this question, doubt it is related to your issue. But I do see it a lot at work. Are your shoes wore out? For me my back will always tell me when it is time for a new pair.

Maybe after you get healed up something to consider may be some stretches before you start. I know that may sound hokey to some to do stretches before you detail a car, but it can't hurt. It will help loosen up the muscles.

I have been fortunate to not have had a loss time injury in 22 years with all the lifting and what not that I do. I see guys injure their backs all the time.

Another thing to consider is your bed.

I kind of have a shoe addiction so none of them are really worn out at all because I wear different pairs all the time.

As for the mattress, we have a Simmons Black plush pillow top which is about 2 years old. I've never slept so well before until I unloaded on that bad boy!

Have some numbers lined up for acupuncture places tomorrow.

Most times an injury is accompanied with inflammation, which can intensify the pain. Try and OTC NSAID, like naproxen (Aleve) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil). I like ibuprofen but you have to take it 3 times daily as opposed to twice daily with naproxen. The RX strength is 400-800mg 3 times daily. Make sure you take it after a meal. If you go to Dr, you will most likely be prescribed some kind of NSAID and muscle relaxer. Hope this helps. You are young so this injury will most likely be an acute incident. Most importantly, take it easy. You're body is telling you something that's why it hurts.

John, Hope you feel better.

I have back issues and always manage to throw it out when Im detailing multiple cars.

Orthopedics IMO seem like they want your $$ .. they will check you out for 5 minutes and send you to therapy 4 times a week with a Copay that ads up. With the therapist giving you directions and walking away. Not worth my money! Been there done that.

I went to a Chiropractor the next time it happened ..he took Xrays ..and gave me a massage and a little electric therapy. Next visit he adjusted my back and I felt like a million bucks! Told me to take 600mg of Ibuprofen and rest.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Last night I remembered we have a jet tub in our spare bathroom so I got that going with some hot hot water. After 20 minutes of that I then used the steam room in our master bathroom for another 20 minutes. After I was done I could feel a huge difference in the amount of tension in my back.

Went to bed, woke up every hour or so readjusting because the pain was there again. Woke up back to where I started. So today I'm going to start making the calls. We have tons of chiropractors around me and only one acupuncture. I'm hoping some of those doctors also does acupuncture as well.

Thanks again for all the advice and kind words guys!