Customer Service 866.965.0400

Video of technique, per requst by Dylan

CaptainChet

Question

Dylan asked that I video tape my technique using the FLEX and FMP. So, I threw this together just for fun! Comments appreciated.....

My armor is on :glasses:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupqG3pWa90]Flex and Adams (White Pad) - YouTube[/ame]

15 answers to this question

looks good...pad looked a little dirty though. thats more product than i use for a single panel but you didn't use any detail spray so that would probably extend the product a bit more. That way you use less and make less dust to clean up

To answer the questions and comments so far:

microfiber towel; I've been using these for years and especially on my Harley which has an absolutely flawless finish. No the towel is not the problem...even if it is not an Adams product! Others work too...by the way!

Pad: that pad is new. Used once before and throughly cleaned. it does look dirty in the video but it is not. Also, it was primed before (not after) the polish was applied.

But I could be using too much polish. That is something I will consider. Three peas was all that was in the second pass.

Cool vid. You should add the thread this video idea came from so it helps explain why you used a lower speed to get the results you couldn't get on the higher speeds (I'm on my phone so I can't find it). It was cool that one tip helped remove those imperfections you had.

As for those yellow microfibers, I had some like those from a while back. Unfortunately I don't let them see my paint anymore. They're just for wiping down engine compartments now. But they may work for you.

Cool vid. You should add the thread this video idea came from so it helps explain why you used a lower speed to get the results you couldn't get on the higher speeds (I'm on my phone so I can't find it). It was cool that one tip helped remove those imperfections you had.

Great, forgot to do that!! I will do that right now!! Thanks!!!

Hijacking my own thread for just as second and then we can get back to the Adams polishes and the FLEX.....

This is a shot of my Harley Heritage Softail windscreen. I've been wiping bugs and road grime off this for over a year (10,000 miles worth) using that un-mentioned yellow microfiber towel everyone is so hung up on saying may be my problem. The blue sky shot is a 100% enlargement of the center of the first photo.The plastic windscreen is way softer than any clearcoat paint on any car and scratches super easily. One bad cleaning and it will scratch horribly! It's never been polished, just sprayed with a quick detail type product and cleaned with that yellow microfiber towel.

It's still like new!!! (everything you see is reflections, including that white-ish spot on the lower right of the second photo).

OK, now back to the three stage polish and FLEX usage! Sorry for the diversion.

Full shot

Harleywindscreen.jpg

100% Enlargement of center of windscreen!

Harleywindscreen100.jpg

Not worried about the towel,, I think maybe going alittle fast in your passes. Try less product in that small of area. On the 2nd pass could of used a shot of detail spray instead of adding more product. But I am thinking moving to quick and to much product in what I watched.

I have only used the Flex a few times,, so the big guns need to weigh in on your video,, I know they can help alot. Nice shine though.. :2thumbs:

Flex will churn through polish faster than PC... but once you have it primed I would hit it with some detail spray until it looks like you aren't getting any more polish out of the pad, then add the pea sized drops... repeat as needed... you will also go through FMP faster with the FLEX vs the PC... you can see it flashing in the video....

Frankly I think your (new) technique is pretty spot on... one nit I noticed was how you went over the edge of the trunk... I saw some left over polish. I would also be careful about hitting edges (not so much with FMP) but with the more aggressive polishes...

And don't sweat the MF issue... Adam's makes some super soft towels, but they aren't the only ones that will work.... as you stated...

Rock on,

[m]

Just my .02 seems like you're moving too fast and not much pressure. Granted you're using the flex so you don't use near as much as the PC but it doesn't look like any compression on the pad at all. Speed wise, at least how I go with the flex, I'm almost half as slow as that.

Just my .02 seems like you're moving too fast and not much pressure. Granted you're using the flex so you don't use near as much as the PC but it doesn't look like any compression on the pad at all. Speed wise, at least how I go with the flex, I'm almost half as slow as that.

I agree, if that is good technique, then mine is horrible :lolsmack:

I commented in the other thread where it was posted.

Technique is solid and his results prove it. I'd recommend taping off the edge of the glass (not b/c you'll damage it, but b/c the odds of polish getting caked in there) and I might step down the amount of polish used in that size area for the first pass a touch, but even then seems you got the right result so why mess with it.

I commented in the other thread where it was posted.

Technique is solid and his results prove it. I'd recommend taping off the edge of the glass (not b/c you'll damage it, but b/c the odds of polish getting caked in there) and I might step down the amount of polish used in that size area for the first pass a touch, but even then seems you got the right result so why mess with it.

Thanks Dylan for the suggestions. I will try a bit less polish and maybe also a smaller area. Watching the video I do notice I tend to speed up as I progress rather than a very constant speed. I'll work on that.

Taping is of course a great idea for the reason you stated. I just didn't...rushing to make the video. I will in the future.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

-Chet