Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches-New User

Bcarr

Question

I just received my kit on Friday and spent the last 2 days attempting to get swirls and minor clear coat scratches out of my 2012 Camaro. While the finish is far better than it was, I am disappointed to still see minor scratches in the finish. I watched the videos and followed the instructions closely but just didn't see the paint corrections was hoping for. It's disappointing because of the overall cost. Also, at one point the PC would barely come on an Dan at very low speed regardless of the speed it was set on. It started working correctly later but makes me wonder if I got a bad unit.

I just thought paint correction on a brand new car would be simple with this kit but that is not the case.

Overall, the finish is great after following the process but I am just not happy with the lack of improvement with the scratches.

Any ideas?

15 answers to this question

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. SHR Orange

4. Machine polish

5. No improvement so I backed up to Green SSHR

6. Orange

7. Machine Polish

8. Glaze

9. Wax

The only scratches I see are on the hood. I'm sure the dealer just sat stuffing it or did a very poor job washing it. I am thinking of just attempting the processs all over again only on the hood.

There are 2 thing wi am questioning about my process....

Should I have gone over it multiple times with each product?

Did I work the product long enough?

I followed the videos precisely otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

Brenton

The PC not working right may be an issue. We're you using a good, heavy duty extension cord? And when off was the pad spinning freely (not somehow binding)?

Beyond that, it often takes some time to get the right balance of speed, pressure, prodct and technique. I'm sure more people will chime in with advice. :cheers:

Start off by trying a better cord. If that helps with the speeds then making numerous passes of each product may be needed. Remember to only work a small 2x2 area on your hood with everything, then move on to the rest of the car with the same steps or until those areas receive the results you are looking for.

If the PC speed issue gets fixed with a new cord with no improvement on the scratches and they are only isolated and not over the entire hood then you may want to pick up the Adam's 4" Focus Pad Kit and try those with a drill for a rotary effect and see if that removes the scratches.

Good luck. Hopefully a better cord with help resolve everything.

I agree, you need to use a heavy gage cord so your machine don't heat up. Here are a couple of great cord options.:thumbsup:

Adam's American Pride Heavy Duty Detailers 50' Extension Cord

Adam's Professional Grade GFCI Detailers 50' Extension Cord

Remember that machine polishing is like anything else, practice makes perfect. Go slow and don't be afraid to put pressure (9-14 lbs.) on your PC. And the main thing is, enjoy the hobby!:thumbsup:

Follow the advice above. Improve your skills in a small area as suggested, then move on to the rest of your car. Simple? Yes! Once you figure out the correct process. Be patient! It works and you will get there.

I too started on a brand new vehicle, once you start to figure it out, you'll love it, but it does take time.

at one point the PC would barely come on an Dan at very low speed regardless of the speed it was set on. It started working correctly later but makes me wonder if I got a bad unit.

This part concerns me most... what kind of extension cord are you using?

Also, don't get too discouraged. It was your first time and its rare anyone gets it perfect their first time out. For an example of another customer who recently started out with unimpressive results, but then went back at it with improved technique read this thread:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/machine-polishing/18438.htm

I thought I had a good heavy duty cord from O Depot, Flex got real hot and my MB would bloe a fuse.

I replaced it with Adams cord, the black one with a GFCI and have not had any problems at all.

Cord mekes a very big difference especially when using a long cord that travels around a car. I learned the hard way and wasted money first at H Depot.

Should've got Adams cord first.

I thought I had a good heavy duty cord from O Depot, Flex got real hot and my MB would bloe a fuse.

I replaced it with Adams cord, the black one with a GFCI and have not had any problems at all.

Cord mekes a very big difference especially when using a long cord that travels around a car. I learned the hard way and wasted money first at H Depot.

Should've got Adams cord first.

The question I would ask you was the cord specs the same? 12/3 guage wire?

I'm still here but haven't checked back in a while. I haven't tried to work on the problem areas again as I have not had time. I really think that I just need to work the product longer. As far as the cord goes, it is a decent quality cord reel but I can't recall the brand. I've never had a problem with it on anything else. What was really odd is that it just started working again after going to extremely slow speeds. I have a hard time believing it was the cord but I'll try a different one next time.

Thanks for all of the advice...