Customer Service 866.965.0400

Does a clearcoat scratch easier after polishing?

Big O

I was working on an older subaru and completed the polishing on the hood, while I was working on a side panel my brother rubbed his hands across the hood and left a rainbow pattern of scratches where he ran his hand across. He is a certified master mechanic and has the hands to prove it but I wouldn't think they would be able to scratch the clear coat, he tried it on the roof where I hadn't worked yet and no scratching.

Is there any discussion on this or am I just encountering something bizzare.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves...seeing something freshly polished, only to have some clown walk up with their greasy filthy hands rubbing the paint like it's silk. Hey JERKS. HANDS OFF, if you must, use the backs of your fingers!

ten four. I was just curious ... my exposure level is pretty minimal with this level of detailing. Just some random thinking as I was sweating my butt off in a tiny garage trying to cut down some scratching. I've only worked on my own vehicles which have all been GM vehicles and no one touches my stuff till I'm sealed/waxed.

oh he was ... i was showing him the difference clay makes. Feel the roof now feel the hood. Then when I went to the side panels he was doing it again and made the rainbow scratches haha.