Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sealant haze

RickP330

Question

Hello all,

I just followed the three step process with my flex polisher and put on two coats of sealant. Before I apply the wax I would just like to check. I think I might have worked the sealant on too much with the polisher expecting it to "flash" and it didn't. As a result I had some residual haze I couldn't get off immediately. I used some detail spray the next day and I think I got most of it off but I am just wondering before I wax should I maybe pass back over it with the fine polish or another coat of sealant? What do you think? Much TIA.

Rick

10 answers to this question

The haze can be normal. Either a wipe down with WW or a wash before wax will help remove any remaining "haze". I usually hit any areas with WW and a buffing towel.

Not knowing for sure since I've never applied 2 coats of MSS, but the haze could have come from not waiting for the first coat to cure properly for at least 12 hours. Did you apply the second coast immediately after the first?

I'm sure one of the Adam's crew can chime in to confirm once you let us know how long you waited.

Not knowing for sure since I've never applied 2 coats of MSS,

Same here I've only ever used one coat of sealant...either the Quick Sealant or the MSS. But I remove the haze with a spray of Quick Detailer which helps make the removal easier.

Hello all,

I think I might have worked the sealant on too much with the polisher expecting it to "flash" and it didn't. As a result I had some residual haze I couldn't get off immediately.

You don't "work" sealants... and they don't flash.

Working till flash is something you do with a polish as you mechanically break down the abrasive particles. With sealant (wax or glaze as well) you're simply applying a coating of the product to the surface... not "Working" it.

You may have caused the surface to haze up just from somewhat dry buffing product into it. Get it under some good lighting before you finish up and make sure.

Would be frustrating to pull it out into sunlight and find out you hazed the paint up and have to strip off the products to fix it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCgu_Fi9yY]Adam's Polishes Vol. 7 - Machine Sealing & Glazing - 2012 UPDATE - YouTube[/ame]

Hey Thanks alot guys. I waited 24 hours before applying the second coat. That vid helped alot, sure wish I had see that one prior to the job!!!!

So I was going to apply the Americana wax next but I see that you use the glaze first in your vid. Should I do the same?

RP

If you're going to use glaze, then yes... it would be used before wax.

Its not required, just another step to adding shine.

Dylan, just trying to understand the proper order for these products as would apply for my black daily driver Corvette which sits in a parking lot sometimes for 4 days at a time.

After I have it all polished up, would I first apply a single coat of Brilliant Glaze followed by the Machine Super Sealant? Perhaps two coats of the MSS, 12 hours apart. That would be my guess as the Glaze has no protective value but does have some filling properties. The Machine Super Sealant certainly sounds like the ticket due to it's high protection and longevity. The real question is would the sealant application remove the glaze?

And where might the Adams Quick Sealant fit in here?

Thanks

-Chet

Hey Thanks alot guys. I waited 24 hours before applying the second coat. That vid helped alot, sure wish I had see that one prior to the job!!!!

So I was going to apply the Americana wax next but I see that you use the glaze first in your vid. Should I do the same?

RP

Just checking, but when using MSS, did you apply it with a polisher (low speed), then let it set up for 30 minutes, wipe it off, then let it cure for at least 12 hours after that? You need to remove it at 30 minutes, then allow it to cure for another 12 hours, then double check for any hazing.

Honestly, I have never seen any hazing on my black paint, and you'd think if anyone would see it, it would be me. If, after 12 hrs + you see any haze, give it a light spray with DS and wipe it off with a MF towel, a Single Soft or Double Soft. I love this stuff, it's my first go-to protection item. I usually put down a coat of MSS, then later (like the following weekend) top with BG, and then Americana. I like a nice layer of gorgeous protection.

Dylan, just trying to understand the proper order for these products as would apply for my black daily driver Corvette which sits in a parking lot sometimes for 4 days at a time.

After I have it all polished up, would I first apply a single coat of Brilliant Glaze followed by the Machine Super Sealant? Perhaps two coats of the MSS, 12 hours apart. That would be my guess as the Glaze has no protective value but does have some filling properties. The Machine Super Sealant certainly sounds like the ticket due to it's high protection and longevity. The real question is would the sealant application remove the glaze?

And where might the Adams Quick Sealant fit in here?

Thanks

-Chet

Chet, you want to apply the MSS directly to your freshly polished and clean paint. The sealant bonds directly to the paint. If you put it over the glaze, as the glaze comes off, so does the sealant.

The same applies to the quick sealant. Apply directly to the clean paint.

BG does not last long. Some here apply either Buttery or Americana Wax over the BG to make it last longer