Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to do for fresh paint?

CoxTA

Question

My Corvette is in the body shop right now because of a little mishap:mad: and almost everything will have fresh paint on it except the roof, trunk and rear bumper. I made it clear that I would be doing the final detail on it after it got out of the shop. Both the shop owner and the guy doing the work know me well and know how picky I am so I dont think Ill have a problem.

I used to work in a body shop and I've always been a pretty avid detailer. I know not to use wax on it and any kind of sealant for the first 3 months while the paint is still breathing, so I was wondering if there were any Adams products that I could use to help protect the paint while still making it shine until it has fully cured?

13 answers to this question

You could use some Revive Polish & Brilliant Glaze, but that's about it. Any type of wax or sealer (like you stated) won't allow the paint to "gas off" and cure. So for now, just be okay with good ol' 2-bucket washes. And maybe some Revive & BG. Enjoy the SHINE!!! :) Once you hit the 90 day mark, do whatever you want!! :)

I have some of the Brilliant Glaze already but I dont have the Revive Polish. I may have to pick some up. Is the Adams Car Shampoo safe to use during that 90-day period? I love that stuff. I know I can't use the detail spray after washes though. :(

Damn. Ok. I guess I will have to wait to make her shine until Fall. It just wont be the same without using any kind of wax, sealant, or detail spray. I may have withdraws lol

Thanks for the input guys!

My guess is that any product that has oils and/or gloss enhancers has the potential to block the paint from curing properly. There's a good chance it may not but why risk another paint job. New paint will still look nice for a few months without Adam's shiny juice.

Somone correct me if Im wrong but the reason for no Detail Spray is because it actually has a sealer in it of some kind and there is also really no reason to clay fresh paint. It won't have any contaminates on it coming right out of the booth and coming from the body shop it shouldn't need polished because again fresh paint shouldn't have swirls in it. If they needed to do any sanding (in case of runs, dirt nibs, etc.) they would buff it before it leaves the shop.

Well, we will see what happens, I never even thought detail spray had any sealers in it and I always mist the car after I wash it to eliminate and water spots when drying.

Hope someone from Adams can chime in with some info!

There is no protection being offered in Detail Spray. The polymers in it, *could* inhibit the paint from outgassing properly....*could*

That said, I've polished on paint that's just two weeks old, in 95* heat. Was it advised? No. Did I hurt anything? No, but I also have a lot of experience, and exercised a lot of caution while doing it.

If you can, wait until 60 days to polish, and the full 90 to wax and/or seal.