Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help removing overspray!!!

Shimy86

Question

Got a car painted and a light dusting of primer overspray got on the rims. Rims are painted black with chrome outer rim, I assume all rim is clearcoated.

How can I get this off without damaging the clearcoat on the rim. So far I've tried gas and then laquer thinner but no success.

Thanks!!

8 answers to this question

YES Clay.

Gotta be careful what you have put on there already hasn't dulled up your finish.

Clay all that junk off, and then feel free to use some Revive on them, then protect them! I prefer QS for wheels.

Mook

Paint overspray if tackled quickly can usually be handled like others have said using "Mild" clay and plenty of Detail Spray. I would be sure to first clean up any traces of gas or solvents that were used using my favorite Adams pink soap and wash thoroughly. Clay doesn't like these chemicals and will become tacky upon contact. I find that to avoid marring when claying use plenty of Detail Spray when performing this step and then follow up with a sealant. If marring did occur, polish and then seal for the best results..

One thing for sure never assume a wheel is clear coated, especially the lips. Many times they can be polished aluminum, plated or cleared....Its important to visually know the differences.

Edited by Innovative Detailing

UPDATE, well this is extremely labor intensive, clay bar, then swirl and haze, then revive polish, by hand, it gets most of it but in the corners and smaller areas its tough. I got the majority of it for now, maybe this winter I can get the remainder with rim up on bench and lots of time on each. Have about an hour in each rim at this point. Clay aint doing much, the swirl and haze is doing most of the work, revive just shines up

What you could've done is scrape it off with a razor blade and then slather on a real thick layer of glaze to fill any scratches. :help::willy::help::willy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDx9aqntHI]Paint Overspray Removal International Services "German engineering at its best" - YouTube[/ame]