Customer Service 866.965.0400

Got some new wheels that need help!

txredgt

Question

So I just picked up a killer deal on a wheel/tire setup for the car but the insides of the barrels need to be cleaned and I think a bit more of a cleanup is needed. It has some slight discoloration on the inside and the face of the wheels are chrome. I'd guess they are just aluminum on the barrels so I'd like to polish these out really well and clean them up. I was thinking some fine steel wool would od the trick but just wanted to make sure this is good to do. Any other OTC pieces I could pick up as I would like to do this before sat. As always I will top it with some MP 1&2.

On a side note and I feel like I know this answer but I'll ask anyways. What to use on the chrome faces? I'll test the MP on it but if that doesnt work maybe some revive along with some BG and then sealed up with some spray sealant should do the trick.

Thoughts or opinions?

17 answers to this question

are the wheels 1-piece or multi-piece? its hard to imagine a 1 piece wheel only having the face chrome. is it possible they're just polished and may even be clear coated? once you get them clean, testing it with MP1 will tell you whats up! black on the MP applicator = uncoated

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think they're chrome, because you can't just chrome part of a wheel. the whole thing has to be dipped into a tank for the chrome plating process. so they're either painted chrome, or polished. if they're polished they may have a clear coat.

so i would venture to guess you won't need metal polish on the face, so treat them as you would paint.

the barrels do look like they're bare aluminum. APC, 0000 steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease will get them cleaned up!

Thanks fellas for the input. I'm thinking about a wire wheel on a drill would do the same effect just a bit quicker for the barrels. Any harm of doing this or should I just use the ol elbow grease with steel wool?

Just like with polishing your paint, start with the lesser abrasive method and then step it up if you don't get the desired results. I would go with steel wool by hand first. Used with Metal Polish you should be impressed with the results.

Thanks fellas for the input. I'm thinking about a wire wheel on a drill would do the same effect just a bit quicker for the barrels. Any harm of doing this or should I just use the ol elbow grease with steel wool?

Be careful with the wire wheel on a drill, they can eat metal off pretty darn quick if you are not careful, and those wheels don't look very bad to me. I think that maybe even using some water, all purpose cleaner, and some damp Scotchbrite may clean the back of the wheels without risking damage. I would recommend making sure you have something like the water/cleaner mix to keep the Scotchbrite or steel wool from scratching the wheel. If after cleaning you decide you want the back of the wheel polished, then decide on how to do that. Also, I would bet the front of the wheel may have a coating on it to protect the shine, so don't go wild with something to harsh on it. Like the earlier post stated, using MP and rub a bit if you get black it is uncoated, if not black then there is a coating on it.

Got the wheels all done, they are balanced and just got them put on the car!

As far as the process all I did was take my 50/50 APC and water and spray pretty liberally on the barrels then went to work with the steel wool. I used 2 steps for the steel wool. After that just some detail spray to gently wipe down the face of the wheels and the barrels.

Enjoy the few pics I took after the project:

newwheels1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Great job on those wheels! What brand are they?

Look real nice on your car. :2thumbs:

As far as a brand I think they are american eagle or just eagle, I'm not too sure on that front. The style of them are Saleens after the wheels they put on the Saleen Mustangs. Thanks man these are some of the better choices in wheels for my body style IMO.

Gorgeous Mystic Cobra.

Thanks man!

Looks good, but I would have brought them to a metal coater to get sand blasted and recoated

? As in the chrome plating?

They look very good for the price I got them for being used. I will get me a set of these wheels later in my build but I don't want to get crazy wheels just yet. I have other areas to put funds into before the wheels. These are what I want eventually:

Pics7-18-2008008.jpg