Customer Service 866.965.0400

Quick sealant on exhausts?

chopsticks

Question

So im currently breaking many a sweat trying to get the soot off my exhausts and ive spoken to fellow GTI owners who say you gotta maintain it weekly to prevent this frustration, so im wondering if any of you guys and gals have tried using the quick sealant on the tips to make life easier in the future. Any benefits> Any reaction with the heat?

16 answers to this question

Yes, I have tried numerous products on the exhaust tips of my Veloster. I have found that if I apply quick sealant once a month it makes them much easier to clean. All I have to do is wipe then out while I'm washing the car and I'm done. The more often you clean them the easier they will be to keep clean.

via Tapatalk on my Galaxy Slll

I hit mine with the secondary mitt after I've washed my wheels every wash. I can't stand dirty exhaust tips so I wiped them with WW and a utility towel about every other day so they never really get dirty. I also go over them with MP2 every few weeks.

I don't use any sealant on my exhaust tips. I just spray them down with apc, scrub with this brush,

ez_detail_1.jpg

and the final result

IMG_0082.jpg

This is what I do. I just hit my exhaust tips with APC every wash and the soot never builds up. I figure the APC will just strip the Quick Sealant so I don't bother applying it.

I managed to get the crap off with #0000 steel wool, so im gonna get some adams metal polish 1 and 2 to revive the shine i removed with the soot haha. then ill see what happens with the sealant. I guess ill just experiment, worst case ill just go at it with more steel wool.

Oh you!

Actualy one of the best parts of the GTI aesthetically is the exhaust...so, yeah...no :2thumbs:

I can't argue that.

You can clay your exhaust tips also. Sometimes that works where steel wool seems like it won't. Vette owners should know what I'm saying here.

Mook

Ive actually had to break up the tips into one quarter a day since its so much effort. But the areas that i do are left pretty rough, im wondering if im totally destroying the tips now, although when i rub my finger over it it feels like residue.

This weekend im going to try oven cleaner overnight then in the AM steel wool.

I haven't had the opportunity to work on the exhaust tips on a GTI - but I would think that if your tips are a brushed stainless you can try stepping up the steel wool to a 000 just be sure to always use steel wool with the "grain" of the brush marks in the stainless. Going against the grain will not effectively clean, will make the metal feel rougher and will mess up the appearance.

Wish you were in this area, would love to help you find a solution. Once you get them clean, if you clean them every wash it should only take you a couple minutes each wash to keep them looking great.

:cheers:

DaveVY i appreciate the gesture. Iva actually had no time to even look at them the past few days, but im gonna try one more time to use oven cleaner overnight then steel wool in the AM. I dont really see any brush marks on the stainless, im just going in a circumferential motion. It is definitely making the exhaust feel rough, but im hoping the metal polish 1 and 2 combo will restore it. If not ill be forced to go aftermarket.....

Teman, im in Queens Village/Floral Park