Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claying and Polishing my Challenger

WYLEEV8

Question

Hey all,

I'm new to claying and machine polishing. I would like to know if anyone, who has a newer Dodge Challenger, can give me some pointers on where and what you taped off before I clay and polish. I have blue painters tape and Adam's new orange tape. I will be using a new Porter Cable polisher with all Adam's products. Can anyone help?

I have just washed my car, 2012 Blackberry Pearl Challenger, and plan to wipe it down tomorrow morning with a MF towel and Detail Spray. I will then tape it off, clay it, machine polish it, and seal it.

19 answers to this question

You can also dress all the trim and plastic with SVRT instead of taping. If you hit that area with the polish it will be easy to remove.

If you end up using the tape remember you can peel off and reuse the Adam's tape. It's pretty amazing stuff. I did one side of mine then removed it all and put it on the opposite side. The 3M doesn't work so well once you've used it once.

Tape off your badges, lettering, etc.

Tape off your panel gaps that arent easily accessible for cleaning afterwords.

For example, I dont tape the hood or trunk lid seams because its so easy to open them and wipe down the edges. IMO that is easier than placing and removing tape, plus removing the tape residue afterwords.

Be sure to post pics during and after your done! Good luck and be patient, it may take you several days to get it right.

I recommend taping anything that can tear the pads (emblems, etc.), anything that can make the pads dirty (sunroof surrounds, rubber window moldings, etc.), and anything that will stain (plastics,etc.). As others have said, you can apply SVRT on the plastics to make them easier to clean up.

Thanks Camaro2ssblack. Man I started taping off my car to clay and polish, with my new PC, and it started raining. How long can I leave Adam's new tape on my car without it messing up my vinyl or paint?

I would say your covered quite well! As stated before just make sure exposed plastics are coated in SVRT. and If I can recommend, I would cover the cowl with something, cleaning dust and polish out of there is a PAIN

Ok. Just got half the hood done. Man that half is like glass! I was trying to find out which pads and polishes I would need. I started out with the orange and had to go bad a few times to get out the swirls that was on it when I bought the car. Looks like I'll need all three.. green,orange,white. Then I'm going to use Adam's Machine Super Sealant. I chose that since I use my Challenger a lot.

I plan to finish the hood and then seal it. Then I'll do the rest of the front and seal it. It's going to take a few days for me to get the whole car done. Can I polish the whole car then seal the whole car? Or should I work my way around?

Hi James, we spoke briefly at the Norwood clinic.

Can I polish the whole car then seal the whole car? Or should I work my way around?

You can do either, it just depends on the amount of time you have, whether or not you will need to drive your car before finishing, etc.

Polishing the whole car, and then coming back around and sealing the whole car, will save you a lot of time compared to if you polish and seal one panel at a time (swapping pads back and forth can get time consuming).

However, if you don't have a lot of time to work and need to split the job up over a few days (as you've said), then you can certainly polish then seal one panel at a time. Like I said this will be more time consuming. I had to do my G8 this way because doing the whole car in one sitting was unrealistic for me. Also I don't have a garage for it so I didn't want to polish the whole car and let it sit outside overnight with no wax.

So either way works, it's just a matter of what works best for your time.

Edited by GerryC

Exactly what Gerry said. Also remember to let the MSS sit for 25-30 then wipe away. Then from there wait no less than 12 hours for it to fully cure. From there you can top off with BG and/or APW or Buttery Wax.

And BTW.....great tape job! Can't wait to see the final results!!!

Hey All,

I finally finished the polishing of my Challenger. I chose to use the Machine Sealant to protect my hot rod. It came out amazing. It only took me a week and a half of working on it, it was the first time ever ever doing it, off and on. With the New Jersey weather being the way it is, I had to do most of it in my single car garage. My car looks like I dipped it in a vat of clear plastic. I love it! Today a bird bombed my car and it wiped right off, with some detail spray, not problems at all.