Customer Service 866.965.0400

Little FYI on my Diesel

Corners

Question

Just a little update on my 2012 Diesel. As you can see from the photographs, I "finally" got my windows tinted.

In two of them you will be looking out the windshield. I wanted a black strip just across the top of the window. However the guy who did the work started the strip from the roof down to what was suppose to be level with the mirror. Well he got that part done but then he made them wider as he worked across the windshield. Kind of looks like a span on a bridge.

At first I didn't like it but now there is no more putting down the sun visors while driving directly into the sun. Additionally on the rest of the windshield, which is extremely hard to see, he covered it with a film that reduces the UV rays by 79%. Can't see it outside the truck but when you get in, you can tell there is a very minute color change. I no longer have to wear sun glasses.

I had him order a kit for the truck and the Mercedes where he uses a very thin film that you can't tell is even on the vehicles. No, it's not a 3M product. Protects against rock chips. Will also put that on the rocker panels, mirrors and the entire front of both vehicles. He gave me a small sheet of it and a large piece of glass. I brought it home, thoroughly cleaned the glass and then applied this new product. Before I was going to let him order these kits, I wanted to see, once applied, if I could either do a hand detail or use a PC or the Flex on it to see how well it would shine. Couldn't tell the difference between it and having it on the paint.

Now waiting for gobs of other "stuff."

23 answers to this question

That just looks freaking awesome!

Tks Tim. The guy who did it has a super reputation and he sure didn't let me down.

I may?? have him re-do the entire back window. He is super good at "cutting out" pictures on the tint so thinking about having the back end of a diesel truck with BIG tires with smoke rolling off of them.

Just had my '12 Silverado done. For the front, you can have them do a straight cut or follow three contour which gives you the curve to it. I did the curve because it looks better 9/10 times. In Illinois you cam only have a 6" window banner.

DO NOT do that ^^^

You are not 17 & a junior in high school anymore. C'mon bro......

Also. If you don't get those GIGANTIC badges off that dang truck. I'm gonna drive over there and spank you myself!!!!! With a Louisville slugger!!!!!

:lolsmack: Gesh I said I might?? get it done. Okay I'll leave it the way it is.

I know, I know - the badges, those badges. Seems like everytime I get ready to take 'um off I end up doing something else. They will be off shortly. :bow:

Cool!

:glasses:

Just had the windows tinted on our Mazda 6 and the front window was done like yours. Like you, I find that I don't need sunglasses. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Sure makes a huge difference don't it? Did you have it done by the same guy - "Dave?"

Just had my '12 Silverado done. For the front, you can have them do a straight cut or follow three contour which gives you the curve to it. I did the curve because it looks better 9/10 times. In Illinois you cam only have a 6" window banner.

I think in Oregon the law is the same. 6" strip from the top of the window down. Well in the middle of the windshield I'd say I'm okay. With the drop down on both sides it does not mess with me looking through it so I'm not going to worry about it. The guy who put it on gave me a life time warranty and paperwork showing his company and that what he did was legal, just in case some cop does stop me.

:drool:That's a sexy Dodge...

Appreciate that. So far it's the "only" two tone silver one in town. That could be a good thing then again, with the man with the Badge, it could be a bad thing.:lol:

Lol. Sorry Bill. :)

I'm kinda like the "mod Police." Anytime anyone even THINKS OF DOING something stupid I whip out the verbal billy clubs!!! My bad buddy, lmao. Truck is looking good for sure!!

Yo Chase: Hey, no need to be sorry. When I start a thread, I can't wait to get a reply back from you. :lol: You keep me on the straight and narrow.

So now having been "warned" by you and your club that if I don't remove those stink 'un badges, you are gonna come out here and beat me. No problem ~ been on the ground more times than I can count. However, since you may make the trip here, ya think you can remove those badges. :rockon:

BTW, can I get your permission to install two of these? Rancho Suspension: Shocks » Steering Stabilizers :cheers: Now bear in mind, if you don't like those just let me know. :xfingers:

If you don't mind, your opinion on these please? Dodge AAM 11.5RG 14 Bolt Differential Cover w/Dodge Ram

Edited by Corners

Bill, don't mind Chase. He's just becoming impatient while waiting for his ride to come back from the shop! :D

Hmmmmmmmmmm~ Maybe we can work "something" out if you gave me the name of the shop his car is in. :lol:

more info on the extra windshield tint that you can't see...........

did he put the strip on first then the extra? i already have the strip on mine but wwanted to do a light tint over the whole shield.

the tint you talk about is different then a normal light tint?

sent from my cellular device using tapatalk

more info on the extra windshield tint that you can't see...........

did he put the strip on first then the extra? i already have the strip on mine but wwanted to do a light tint over the whole shield.

the tint you talk about is different then a normal light tint?

sent from my cellular device using tapatalk

Yes, he put the top strip on first, which in the photo's of it, you can see how much darker it is.

The lighter tint is a special tint that really is meant to cut down on the UV Rays. So in a way, yes it's different than a normal tint. However, if a person only wants a tint that color without the UV Ray protection, you can have that put on instead.

I just called the guy who did the job on my truck. His recommendation, depending on how old your strip is across the w/shield, would be to have that taken off, new strip put on and then put on the lighter tint "below" the top strip. He said he never puts two different colors over each other because if the first layer goes bad then you have to remove a perfectly good second layer to fix it. If you have a lifetime warranty then it's no money out of your pocket. If not, it's going to cost you a lot more.

If you like the strip you have and want to add on the "normal" lighter color, that can be done. The installer just takes the measurements, cuts the lighter strip and lines it up with your darker strip. But if it was me, and taking the advice of the guy who installed mine, I would not cover your darker strip with the lighter material. You're really not going to gain anything by doing so ~"maybe" you will get just a tad darker color but would probably not even notice it. If you are looking for protection from UV Rays then either take the strip across the top, off and have the UV material put on the entire w/shield. Then again, if you like the dark strip and don't care about UV protection, your installer can cut a lighter piece and butt that right up against the top strip. But just remember, the strip across the w/shield you now have will go bad on you sooner than the new material.

Just a FYI ~ to have my back window, which has an electric slidder in the middle, all four door windows, the strip across the top and the lighter UV protection material installed - total cost was $250.00. Besides checking ever window when he was done, the most important thing I did was to ensure that the two pieces on the front w/shield came together perfect. I could hardly feel a line where he butted them together. IF something that is butted together on the front w/shield is not perfect, you "will" see a very minute amount of sun light coming through the crack. So if you keep the strip and add the other material, when the guy is done, move the vehicle so the w/shield is pointing directly at the sun.

Hope some of this helps.

Man Bill, you are really on your way. Looks great!

Many tks Mike. Got a long ways to go before I get everything done to it that I want. Getting the little stuff done and then I think I'll cash in my extended warranty and start making mods to the engine.

:help: The wife wants me to start making mods to my wallet. We have, but never use our credit cards. Her point is to keep the green stuff in the bank and out of ye 'ol wallet. I may have to revert to stealing a shopping cart and walking the roads, picking up empty pop and beer cans. :o