Customer Service 866.965.0400

Reviving the old Sierra Denali

DenaliDan

I just bought this 2002 Sierra Denali a couple weeks ago. It is my first pick-em-up truck and am ready to start using it now that I have it cleaned up. Although it runs and rides smooth for a truck it's age with average miles, the finish has been neglected by automatic car washes and the Florida sun. There are a few spots of clear cloat decay which is going to require a re-spray but otherwise it cleaned up pretty well.

Here's some before and after photos which were taken of the driver's side. Both before and after were taken in the same light (about same time of day) but about a week apart:

Front fender before

frontfndrb4.JPG

after:

IMG_7404.JPG

Had a pretty obvious scuff on the rear of the cab

gaslidb4.JPG

after

gaslidafter.JPG

I really like the design of these rear fenders. Before:

rearfndr1b4.JPG

rearfenderafter1.JPG

rearfndrb4.JPG

rearfenderafter.JPG

Hood after:

hoodafter.JPG

DNLI4.JPG

DNLI2.JPG

The Process (all with the Flex 3401):

1. Unfortunately, not Adam's so I'll just say #105 & the hardest cutting pad I could find (I tried it with Adam's SSR but just wasn't cutting it)

2. Swirl & Haze Remover and appropriate pad

3. Fine Machine Polish and pad

4. Machine Super Sealant and pad

5. Wax

Still some work to do but 12 hours of detailing made a significant improvement.

Edited by DenaliDan

Looks good man.

Thanks.

You probably made an extra step with the swirl and haze before fine machine, but in the end it still turned out great.

True. However, the pad I used in step one was not going to make it through the entire job if I used it as hard as I would've liked to so I eased up a bit and left some swirls behind. I used the SHR to help cover some of those leftover blemishes.

looks great, is that a quadrasteer?

Yes, it is and I like the QuadraSteer system quite a bit. Not sure why it is not on more trucks. Even seems pretty trouble-free from what I've read.

Edited by DenaliDan
system auto substituted "Quick Sealant" for "QS"

Yes, it is and I like the QuadraSteer system quite a bit. Not sure why it is not on more trucks. Even seems pretty trouble-free from what I've read.

Ive read that there are a lot of problems with them, either way that is a pretty rare truck now.