Customer Service 866.965.0400

SUV and big truck.....

Rains

Question

I was wondering what you guys with big vehicles use to wash with. Do you use step ladders to wash the tops etc.

My wife's Tahoe and my truck seems to take forever washing with a mitt. Just looking for some other views....

22 answers to this question

Cant' remember manufacturer, Think Warner, check the ladder region at lowes or home depot. They make a platform that's about 4 feet long and i think like 16inches off the ground, legs fold up under it to make for easier storage. Anyway, I use that for the tops of pickups and suv's, i'm 6'2" so it makes it perfect for me.

Cant' remember manufacturer, Think Warner, check the ladder region at lowes or home depot. They make a platform that's about 4 feet long and i think like 16inches off the ground, legs fold up under it to make for easier storage. Anyway, I use that for the tops of pickups and suv's, i'm 6'2" so it makes it perfect for me.

this Werner AP20-MP6 Aluminum Work Platform at Remodelr.com

but I don't think Lowes and Home depot carry it anymore but could be wrong

Thanks guys, I will have to check out that step ladder. I normally stand up on the running board and hang on the roof rack also, but I really don't like doing that. So I'm definitely going to find another way, lol

Same issue I have doing my Tundra. I will stand on anything I can, the bed for the back half of the roof, the running boards or open the doors for the middle to front and the tire itself for the windshield. I have tried a conventional step ladder, but have found myself leaning over too much to be considered safe IMO. The Werner platform would be a wise investment, LOL!

i use a brush. Lol. Even if i put swirl marks on the roof, its to high for anybody to see. Then i use my adams wash pads for the rest of the truck.

Im not going to lie, Ive thought about doing the same thing. Both my vehicles have suspension lifts on them so it makes them even harder to reach with a mit.

Im not going to lie, Ive thought about doing the same thing. Both my vehicles have suspension lifts on them so it makes them even harder to reach with a mit.

i mean it gets to a point where its just to much. Am i seriously going to get the step ladder out of my garage to wash the truck with a wash mit, instead of a brush. Is the difference that big? Espcially on a part no one can see. And then you gotta worry about touching the car while your leaning over scrubbing with the wash pad.

Just not worth it at that point. IF i had a sedan/coupe i would wash the roof with a wash pad, but for my TBSS, its gets the brush.

I also use the werner aluminum step platform, works great. Got 2 of them for $17 each around christmas time, thanks to a member on here posting about the sale. Before that, have always used a folding 2 step stool to wash the truck and wife's suv, never bothered me once doing the roofs this way and isn't really a big hassle to me, guess i'm just used to it

I just washed the Tahoe last night. It was 50 out and the drying process was terrible.

I typically get out a step latter for the roof.

That is one place I skipped when doing a full correction. No one sees it besides me.

And even that bugs me a tiny bit.

Good to hear your input. Kevin your right, it sometimes does get a little out of control trying to prevent swirls. You could literally kill yourself trying to prevent them and is life really worth that??? lol

Im not sure if there could ever be a such thing but it would be nice if Adams could come up with a boars hair brush on a stick or something similar????

I'm going to have to figure something out with my new Ram. Although the air suspension does drop the entire vehicle 2 inches when parked so that'll help I suppose. I used to use a cotton mop like thing on the end of an aluminum pipe which hooked to a hose. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I'll do that.

I use an "atta boy drywall bench". They aren't cheap, but they are adjustable from 18-30 inches tall and are VERY sturdy. They have a step that can support 500 lbs so you can get up to the top without too much struggle. They are made out of all aluminum and fold up and store without taking up too much room. The top is also ribbed so you don't slip when your feet are wet. My truck is about 7 foot tall, and the cheaper benches were only about 19 inches tall and not adjustable. This is the only one I could find that went high enough for me, and I am very happy with my purchase. I actually have 2 of them, so I can leave one on each side of my pickup or line both of them up on the same side if I am working on my yukon.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pentagon-Professional-Adjustable-Functions-Workbench/dp/B001B4Q9RW]Amazon.com: Pentagon Tool Professional Quality Aluminum Drywall Bench With Adjustable Steps And Functions As A Workbench: Home Improvement[/ame]

I don't like having a ladder around my vehicles, esp. with wet feet. I stand in the bed for the back half, open the doors and stand on the sills for the middle, and stand on the front tire for the center of the hood/windshield.

Adam's stool might be nice, not sure if I like the idea of the casters.

1 hour ago, Sherry hildebrandt said:

I have an Escalade How do you dry the roof off so the water doesn’t run off and ruin my detail job . How do you get a whammy up there 

Hi, Sherry, and welcome to our forums. I replied to your other post with some suggestions.