Customer Service 866.965.0400

Will polish hurt paint bubbles

stratrex

Question

I have a few small bubbles in the deck lid on my Camaro and I was nervous about using the P/C on this spot. Will it lift the paint bubbles and leave bare metal/primer. It's not that noticable unless you look in the right light right now and I don't want to make it worse.

Dave

4 answers to this question

i first have to ask.... was this a freshly painted surface? did it come from the factory like that?

i think you need to be more worried about correcting the actual imperfection than polishing around it.

usually wet sanding it flush, then re-clearing the panel is necessary.

It depends on the thickness of the paint on those bubbles. I've dealt with similar defects and typically they are solid. However, the paint will undoubtedly be thinner simply due to the paint process.

A pass every now and then with a machine polish likely will not wear through but I would try to avoid making numerous hard passes directly on those "bubbles". You wouldn't be gaining anything any way by polishing them as well as you do the surrounding areas.

On the other hand, if they are not solid and are true bubbles, then yes, polishing will likely bust them.

The bubbles were there when I bought the car and feel like the paint may have lifted possibly from something on the metal. It is likely a 12yr + old paint job with fairly heavy clearcoat. I would rather have the bubbles vs a bare spot. I will try to avoid this spot when I polish. Thanks

Dave