Customer Service 866.965.0400

Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee Cordless Drill

DP 08 GXP

I have finally decided that I need to get rid of the POS Craftsman cordless drill that I have. I have been looking at either Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee. I would be using it around the house for projects that would come up so it isnt going to be getting used a lot so I'm not looking to drop $300 on the drill. I was thinking 18 volt lithium battery. Anybody have any input on what brand is going to be better for what I'll be using it for? Amy specific drill you would recommend? Thanks.

I use Dewalt all the time in my business. (Contractor) I have 18 volts and also the newer 20 volt systems. They are all good. I like the 20 volt a little better because of it is lithium batteries and they still work just as good after being in the cold stored in my truck. I picked up a drill and driver set with two batteries and a charger with s case for $249 on sale at Lowes. Just keep watching the sales. For just home use the Dewalt compact drills are really good. I used one of those for two years on the job before it started to die out. Actually all it needs is new brushes which are replaceable.

Came across this one after a little searching. Thoughts?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DCD980L2-20-Volt-Li-Ion-Premium/dp/B0052MIGWU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1]DeWalt DCD980L2 20-Volt Max Li-Ion Premium 3.0 Ah Drill Driver Kit - Amazon.com[/ame]

Came across this one after a little searching. Thoughts?

DeWalt DCD980L2 20-Volt Max Li-Ion Premium 3.0 Ah Drill Driver Kit - Amazon.com

That is the one that I am using now. I got lucky and purchased it as a kit with the small impact screw gun and another battery with it for just $10 more. I like the weight of it also.

I have had a dewalt cordless drill for a long time...and it is awesome (I have the 18V). You can't go wrong with dewalt. However, I helped a buddy with a project once and used his Milwaukee...that thing rocked! Which is better? Tough call. I would pick one based on how it feels in your hand...and of course price.

I was in this same dilemma this past Christmas when looking to purchase a new set for home use. I wanted a drill and impact driver set. At first I was set on the dewalt 20v max line. After some more research I looked into the makita's. saw some videos of those getting burnt up quite fast under load, so I scratched that idea. Next I started looking at the Milwaukee M-18 brushless set. This set was by far the newest and best out. But for the very seldom use that I would give it around the house, I couldn't justify the 400$ price tag for the two tool set. I ended up looking into Bosch after that. I found a set on Home Depots site with exactly what I wanted. Compact 18v hammer/drill driver and 18v impact driver with charger and the case. They both had led lights and battery life gauges on the battery packs. It came with one fat pack 3A battery and one slim pack 1.5A battery. After having the kit now for a few months I am very very pleased with the quality and performance of this kit. My next purchase will be the Bosch powerbox job site radio; that thing is badass. The model # for the kit I bought if you want to look into it is: CLPK-243. At the time Bosch was offering a 50$ mail in rebate so I got the kit for 199$ which is a steal IMO. Good luck, I think you'll be fine with whatever brand you choose.

Thanks for all the responses.

Another question I have would be what type of drill bit set should I be getting. I've snapped a few of my Craftsman set and am looking to replace them with a stronger bit. Main use will be drilling into wood.

Another question I have would be what type of drill bit set should I be getting. I've snapped a few of my Craftsman set and am looking to replace them with a stronger bit. Main use will be drilling into wood.

This is what I have and have had zero issues with the set. Always has performed well for me.

Shop DEWALT 29-Pack Pilot Point Drill Bit Set at Lowes.com

Ive heard nothing but great stuff about the black/white makita 18v sets. Few friends got them for stuff around the house. I know people hate on Ryobi but the 18v set I have for them has been great for small projects, just lately made an entertainment system and island from scratch using it and it didn't skip a beat. Think ill be picking up the makita set soon though and giving the ryobi set to my mom since I am moved out now, and it will be easy for her to use than our old corded milwaukee haha.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCD780C2-20-Volt-Li-Ion-Compact/dp/B0052MIHMO]Amazon.com: DEWALT DCD780C2 20-Volt Max Li-Ion Compact 1.5 Ah Drill/Driver Kit: Home Improvement[/ame]

just got this one off Ebay... 169.00 shipped. Friend of mine has the same one, used his and it was the bomb. :cheers:

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I've had these for 2+ years and I beat the crap out of them. Charge batteries more than 1x a day during the work week and they still run like new. The light is great for installing new sinks - dark under there and for anyone whose ever had to mount a kitchen sink... Those clips suck!!! I renovate apartments as well as paint. So these things get plenty of use. I rely on them. And if they die and warranty won't replace them, I'll buy another.

18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion 3-Tool Combo Kit-LCT300W at The Home Depot

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I only use impact bits.

That impact drill is a must have.

I even used it when I did the first oil change on my work van (Chevy Express 1500 w/125,000 mi). The dealership did the last oil change on it and had stripped the drain bolt. Got a set of bolt extractor sockets, used a 3/8 socket adapter on the impact drill and feathered the trigger. Eased that bolt right out. It was in there good, trust me.

Get the combo. Get the impact rated bits.