Customer Service 866.965.0400

Searching for a 68-69 L71 Corvette Convertible

Z71_Denali

the wife gave me the green light to start searching for my next weekend warrior! :willy:

after many days, weeks, and months of going back and forth in my head between new vs. old i have come to the conclusion i'm better fitted for a classic. i tried modern muscle with my Camaro, but eventually everyone and their mother had one around town, and it depreciated in value! i want something with history, something that'll hold it's value, something that will turn heads every where it goes! i thought about a 69 Camaro, but even that is fairly common to own amongst enthusiasts!

i want the first car in my private collection to be a special one, and the first thing i thought of and keep coming back to is... CORVETTE! i've always been a sucker for the C3 style vettes, as well as the 60's muscle car era so what better car to search for than one with a 427! some folks say a corvette isn't a muscle car, but in my mind anything from that decade equipped with a 400+hp big block V8 made to go fast in a straight line, IS a muscle car :D

L89s and of course L88s are out of my price range, so that leaves me with the next best thing without the price tag - L71 engine code. they made 2,898 in 1968 and 2,722 in 1969 so it won't be easy for me to find the "right" one unmolested. i'm willing to wait as long as it takes to find THE one!

in my head, i'm envisioning a tuxedo black or burgundy with black interior and chrome Hooker Super Comp side exhaust, polished up perfect with some Adam's love of course :drool:

so if you guys/gals know of anyone that is looking to sell, or a good reputable place that keeps an inventory of classic vettes, PLEASE let me know! car show ready or in need of minor restoration; coupe or convertible... i'm interested! but it has to be numbers matching and the final paint/trim has to match the original codes also! :cheers:

thanks for reading! :hi:

Nice choice and good luck! :cheers: If I'm ever in position to take that leap, I'd have to go with a 1970 LS5 454 roadster. My Dad had one during my formative years, so nobody will ever be able to convince me that isn't the epitome of the muscle car era. Though I suppose I could settle for a LS6 Chevelle...:glasses:

Yeah LS6 Chevelle would be nice, minus the price tag! My buddy built a 70 Chevelle 454 but it originally had a small block. Sure is fun to ride in though! My neighbor has a tricked out 69 Camaro worth probably $70k with mods and I've been trying to convince him to let me detail it for him. It's got flat gunmetal paint with a LS7 and is fast as $h!t. Another guy down the street has a restored Duster.... I need something to fit in :D

I've seen L89 vettes go for $75k-$150k and L88s go for $400k+!!! The L71 averages $43k in good condition right now.

Those are some of my favorite vette's as well for pretty much exactly what you mentioned. They are (somewhat) reasonable still and look great, plus you don't see them everyday.

Black with red leather interior for me please though as far as color, or silver and red interior. Red leather interiors just worked on those car's for some reason.

I don't blame you for trying, but at some point you may reconsider how important "numbers-matching" is to you.

I know war you mean and it may end up that way! I already found a lemans blue convertible in DFW a few hours away with a 427 but it originally had a 350. The guy is selling it for $28k. It's a recent frame off resto mod with the L88 hood and Hooker side pipes.

But my instinct always says don't jump at the first one.

Those are some of my favorite vette's as well for pretty much exactly what you mentioned. They are (somewhat) reasonable still and look great, plus you don't see them everyday.

Black with red leather interior for me please though as far as color, or silver and red interior. Red leather interiors just worked on those car's for some reason.

Nothing pulls off color interior like a classic! Nowadays everything is black, grey, or tan :(

Ryan,

Sounds like you will find a nice ride. Take your time. Corvette Forum is good. I'm not sure about the C3 section, but the C2 guys are great.

We have several good sources here, John at GM Down Under and the Pomona swap meet.

I do know of a numbers matching 68 or 69 coupe, silver & black with a 427, asking 29,000.

Let me know if I can help, I'm in several Corvette clubs.

Bruce

How about a coupe?

I once owned a '69 t-tops coupe Sting Ray....I think it was the only year where the rear window pops out. What a fun ride & head turner! just getting behind the wheel looking forward, seeing the view of the front fenders was very cool & unique.

My vette was a complete rebuild with no matching numbers....solid perfect frame & Showroom condition!

Dark cherry red metallic/Black half leather interior....350 cubic inch new engine, power steering, power brakes, tilt wheel, double mirrors (comes in handy) new brakes w/ss lines, new suspension, springs, heavy duty shocks, new side exhaust, you had to be careful getting out of the car so you don't burn your legs, new rear wheels plus spare wheel, new battery, '69 vette assembly parts book & custom car cover. I paid 6k in '89 and sold it for 8k in '92. I was buying a new house at the time...what a big mistake selling! My wife made custom viny covers for the t-tops so they could be placed behind the seats with no worries.

Like every one has said, be patient & Good Luck!

Here's a picture... As far as the numbers you gotta make the call.

DSC00576.jpg

just getting behind the wheel looking forward, seeing the view of the front fenders was very cool & unique.

Yeah, the view from inside the car is very cool, especially the slant of the fenders. But parking takes some getting used to since you can't see the nose (and it's so far away!).

Thanks guys ill check out that forum.

I've been emailing back and forth with someone that has a lemans blue 68 convertible listed on vettehound for $28k in DFW area. I asked what the engine and trans was and he said its an L88 and M22..... He then said the car was in Ohio and he hired a brokerage company to place ads throughout the US.

I think it's a scam. L88s sell for $400k+. I told him I wanted to see a pic of the engine block code and the vin on the body.

this beauty is for sale on eBay... it has the base 427 engine, which would be a fun one to do some minor bolt-on mods to, but i'm not really sure buying one online sight unseen is in my best interests. this one is in Florida

DSC_0139_zpsfbaf96b2.jpg

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

I'm not a fan of those years, BUT...that looks like a beauty for sure. Why not try and talk with the owner and see if you can get a flight over there depedning on when the listing ends. Otherwise I believe there are companies you can hire to inspect classic cars for you. I'm sure the price would be similar or cheaper than flying there yourself.

Just throwing out things while I :drool: over that picture.

Or ask a forum member on here or a local Vette forum to check it out! I asked a few people to look at cars across the country for me but 1 was sold before I was able to get someone to look at it. Ultimately I ended up with a car closer to home but I trusted the people who were going to look at them for me.

Back in May of '04 is when I bought my '04 Nissan 350Z roadster In Nashville, TN. however it was dealer....made arrangements with the salesman ahead of time via email & phone calls, he picked me up at the airport, dealership was like 10 minutes away, I was there a few hours, signed the check & drove the car back home to Hudson, Ohio....what a fun ride home! At the time there were no roadsters available in my area & the best part is I paid $90 over invoice which was a great deal at that time, since it was the first year for the new 350Z roadsters.

Excellent choice - I really like the C3's. The steel bumper C3's seem to be increasing in value more than I anticipated. I continue to hold on to my '77 just because it's worth more to me than it's worth to someone else.

Even though the late 70's early 80's Corvettes are not worth a lot, I still get lots of thumb's up and "nice car" when I take it out.

Corvette Forum has regional forums you may want to check out too. Especially if you locate a potential car a long way from you. I have seen postings where guys have asked for help from forum members to check out a car in their areas.

You could also arrange for a professional inspection of a car outside of your area for not an "arm and a leg". In the long run, it could easily be worth the price of the inspection to ensure you get a quality car.

Excellent choice - I really like the C3's. The steel bumper C3's seem to be increasing in value more than I anticipated. I continue to hold on to my '77 just because it's worth more to me than it's worth to someone else.

Even though the late 70's early 80's Corvettes are not worth a lot, I still get lots of thumb's up and "nice car" when I take it out.

Corvette Forum has regional forums you may want to check out too. Especially if you locate a potential car a long way from you. I have seen postings where guys have asked for help from forum members to check out a car in their areas.

You could also arrange for a professional inspection of a car outside of your area for not an "arm and a leg". In the long run, it could easily be worth the price of the inspection to ensure you get a quality car.

that sounds like a good idea. :pc:

Thanks guys ill check out that forum.

I've been emailing back and forth with someone that has a lemans blue 68 convertible listed on vettehound for $28k in DFW area. I asked what the engine and trans was and he said its an L88 and M22..... He then said the car was in Ohio and he hired a brokerage company to place ads throughout the US.

I think it's a scam. L88s sell for $400k+. I told him I wanted to see a pic of the engine block code and the vin on the body.

Definitely a scam. Pretty much anytime they say that they're not with the car it's a scam.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across an ad in the Classics, Hot Rods & Racing mag.

They have a '69 vert with 2 tops.... in mint condition top & bottom.

L88 motor, trans. and rear end, frame off restoration & etc.

It does not have the correct paperwork to show that the L88 motor is the original.....otherwise it's near perfection. Mileage approx. 70k.

The color is a metallic burgundy 2003 50th Anniv.

He knows of a shipper who deals with him all the time.

Asking $60k but will deal. He did have an offer for the engine at 30k.

If your interested....PM me I will give you his phone number.

The guy is very well known and he does know the people at Corvette Conspiracy in Cleveland, Ohio who are the #1 guys that work on Corvettes.

His location is about an hour and half from my house.

Painesville, Ohio

Edited by sluggoZ

thanks Jerry, but i think i'll pass. its a little out of my price range for what i'm looking for. if i can't find a big block numbers matching how i want for the right price, i was thinking about getting a small block model already restored and drop in an LS engine and 6 speed.

if it was documented numbers matching, he could double his offer. :willy: