Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wax Stripping prior to Machine Polishing

USMC- FRS

Question

24 answers to this question

isopropyl alcohol, found in drug or grocery stores. Mix with water to about 50/50.

Just did this process this weekend. Washed with dawn and APC mixed,,, used the IPA to spray and wipe off,,, polished SHR and MFP. IPA again just incase. then MSS. Followed the next day with BG and Americana. I had clayed the car the previous weekend... But hit a few spots any way again.

Watch the videos over and over and ask all the questions on here you Need.

:2thumbs::pc:

Do you have to? No, but it's a good idea as it can make the polishing go much better. The polishing step will remove any wax left on the vehicle, but the wax could begin to clog the pores of the pad making them much less effective. What about the clay step, you going to do that? If not, any contaminents remaining on the paint could be pulled into the pad causing some marring.

Americana wax is a high quality wax. If you used it, I can almost guarantee you that an IPA wipedown alone won't remove it. In fact, I would say that for just about any *quality* wax.

Do the 2 bucket wash with 3 to 4 ounces of all purpose cleaner in the wash as well and that, in combination with claying, should remove most of the existing wax, whatever it is.

Thanks guys for all the great advise. I plan on following GARYW advise. The only wax that was on the car was OTC Mothers Gold Carnauba wax. It's going to be only 45 degrees today outside temp. Will it be ok to Clay the car in the garage? Also what is MFP. Also one last question do I mix the 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water in a spray bottle and wipe the in tire car after flaying, washing with Dawn and prior to swirl and haze polish. I think I have it right. Thanks for all the support. Joe

I think he meant FMP (fine machine polish).

If you wipe with IPA, you won't need the Dawn wash. If you use dawn make sure you treat the plastics with VRT. Dawn will dry them out.

You can clay inside. I would suggest doing one section at a time. Get one right before you do the rest of the car.

Thanks to all who provided feedback and advise. Tried a test section today and I can't believe the results. Very happy with these products and the PC 7424.

God bless America.

Your on the right track now. Strip wash, hit with IPA, polish then IPA again before sealant and wax. Remember to take your time, do not get into a rush. That is when you will start missing up. If you have to do one or 2 panels a day do it that way. First time I did it, tried doing the whole car in one day and that was starting at like 2pm. I was wore out and did not get the results I wanted. Granted the car was glowing, but nothing like she could of.

Watch the videos over and over, and ask all questions you need. :patriot:

Your on the right track now. Strip wash, hit with IPA, polish then IPA again before sealant and wax. Remember to take your time, do not get into a rush. That is when you will start missing up. If you have to do one or 2 panels a day do it that way. First time I did it, tried doing the whole car in one day and that was starting at like 2pm. I was wore out and did not get the results I wanted. Granted the car was glowing, but nothing like she could of.

Watch the videos over and over, and ask all questions you need. :patriot:

What if the Car or truck you are correcting is you only means of getting around? Say you need to go some where if you don't finish working on it the first day, when you are ready to work on it again do you hit it with some ww before continuing? Or what is the proper prep before starting again?

What if the Car or truck you are correcting is you only means of getting around? Say you need to go some where if you don't finish working on it the first day, when you are ready to work on it again do you hit it with some ww before continuing? Or what is the proper prep before starting again?

If you will not have time to do the whole vehicle, do a section at a time. maybe do the hood and roof, then next day or when ever correct a different part next time. If you are driving the vehicle out and around,, I would do a 2 bucket wash prior to working on paint. If it is just sitting garage, then I would hit it with the WW.

Here is a idea I did on car for my friend.. I strip wash entire car. clayed it, Polished the hood and front of car. applied BG and Americana to entire car. Next time I will polish a different part of it. At least I got the clay job done and paint was clean and the entire car looked alot better then it did.... I will wash entire car again when he brings it back to me. But I will only have to strip the part I am going to polish with IPA. Do what you can when you can. Do not try to do the entire car and make it a rush job. You will hate it..

Hope that helps.. :cheers:

Edited by GaryW

If you will not have time to do the whole vehicle, do a section at a time. maybe do the hood and roof, then next day or when ever correct a different part next time. If you are driving the vehicle out and around,, I would do a 2 bucket wash prior to working on paint. If it is just sitting garage, then I would hit it with the WW.

Here is a idea I did on car for my friend.. I strip wash entire car. clayed it, Polished the hood and front of car. applied BG and Americana to entire car. Next time I will polish a different part of it. At least I got the clay job done and paint was clean and the entire car looked alot better then it did.... I will wash entire car again when he brings it back to me. But I will only have to strip the part I am going to polish with IPA. Do what you can when you can. Do not try to do the entire car and make it a rush job. You will hate it..

Great info! thanks for the tips!

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but I can guarantee you that IPA is not removing the wax off the car from the section you will be doing next. Americana will not be removed that easily.