Customer Service 866.965.0400

USA spec Mercedes 450 SL '74 from Holland

tommiee92

Already checked in here, but i couldn't resist to show you guys my other ride..

a Mercedes 450 SL from 1974, USA spec from California!

My dad bought it back in 1999, 2 years ago we decided to restaurate is together, completely stripped it down and got it resprayed from bare metal..

Foto0389.jpg

Foto0390.jpg

Also we have made the wooden interior parts ourselves, like this:

Foto0428.jpg

The seats with a fresh coat of leather

2012-04-02200054.jpg

Also we have let the dashboard get 'leathered' ( sorry for my bad english )

End result:

2012-04-01200234.jpg

And the complete picture, needs some Adam's ATM, but she's in the garage and she won't come out before the spring..

20121114_150310.jpg

Thanks, so much more that i would like to tell about it, but the precise things are a bit hard for me to explain in english, very strange if i have to talk about it in real it woudn't be a problem, it's just that you have to think so much when you have to type it in another language when you compare it to talking !

Very nicely done! I used to have a 1976 240D. I still miss that car. It was about the slowest thing on the road, but it had that old Benz magic about it. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I have done in life. And I have done many dumb things.

Again, great job!

Thanks!! a 240D is also a very nice car. yes, maybe slow, but that has it charmes i guess!

Can't call the 450SL slow, but too bad that the car only has a 3-speed automatic, good for the loads of torque it has, but not for flooring it ( but i think this is not where this car was made for ). My GTI will kick it's *** 3 times, but for driving quality I would choose the SL.

About 10 years ago there were enough of them here in holland, but in the EU spec though..

Nowadays i don't see them anymore, they're getting old i guess..

But it's a good investment to restore them. in this shape they go for around 35.000 euro here in holland, were the less nice one's go for 10/15k euro's...

That's outstanding. Judging by the first couple of pictures, I thought "Oh no, that's likely to take years to finish". But WOW - what a nice car.

Don't worry about your English, we can likely figure out what you're trying to say. Far better than if we try to communicate in Dutch with you.

I have visited Amsterdam and was really appreciative of how friendly the people are.

Can you imagine that this is done in just only 1 winter, in a garage without car bridge and no heating and isolation? Bought a few infrared heaters to keep it 'do-able'.

Thanks, just like you guy's here on the forum, much better then the Dutch detailing forum.

Some of them are haters because i use adams, only one finger for them hehe

Edited by tommiee92

Beautiful job. I too saw the first picture and thought "oh-oh, this will take a while to put back together."

Funny thing, here in the states people love the Euro spec lights, and there you are in Holland with USA spec lights.

Nice job.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

People will always like things they don't have, am I right?

I've built in Daytime Running Lights on my '01 6 speed VW Lupo GTI.

Not the crappy Led thing, no the real deal, with the orange blinkers..

Unfortunately the cops don't like it here, gotta turn them off very quick when I see them..

Thanks Bruce!

People will always like things they don't have, am I right?

I've built in Daytime Running Lights on my '01 6 speed VW Lupo GTI.

Not the crappy Led thing, no the real deal, with the orange blinkers..

Unfortunately the cops don't like it here, gotta turn them off very quick when I see them..

LOL! Right you are! First thing I do every time is turn off my automatic DRL's.