Customer Service 866.965.0400

water leakage at brass fitting on Adam's hose

hemi1300

Question

just noticed tonight while messing with my new hose reel setup that the 100' adams commercial hose i just purchased leaks at one of the brass fittings. Only leaks when water is off though (no pressure through the hose), as soon as i turn the water on and the hose charges up, no leakage what so ever. Is this normal?

17 answers to this question

just noticed tonight while messing with my new hose reel setup that the 100' adams commercial hose i just purchased leaks at one of the brass fittings. Only leaks when water is off though (no pressure through the hose), as soon as i turn the water on and the hose charges up, no leakage what so ever. Is this normal?

Let me guess. It is leaking on that inside fitting where you connect it to the hose reel? IMO a hose reel is a great idea, but the trade off is that it puts too much of a constant bend on that first connection (to the hose reel) creating a problem over time with the fitting. It may just leak a little now while the water is off, but may grow into a bigger issue over time. Just my .02. I had a similar issue with my lawn hoses that are of good quality. I eliminated the hose reels for this reason and will find another way of coiling the hose up.

That's a long hose! I only have a 50' hose, and its more than enough to go around my car and driveway.

I opted for the 75 footer. I plan on using the same hose with my pressure washer so I needed the extra length.

Let me guess. It is leaking on that inside fitting where you connect it to the hose reel? IMO a hose reel is a great idea, but the trade off is that it puts too much of a constant bend on that first connection (to the hose reel) creating a problem over time with the fitting. It may just leak a little now while the water is off, but may grow into a bigger issue over time. Just my .02. I had a similar issue with my lawn hoses that are of good quality. I eliminated the hose reels for this reason and will find another way of coiling the hose up.

Nope, doesn't leak period at the connection to the hose reel. The rapid reel design has a nice curve to the hose where it connects to the inlet on the reel. The parts that leak are the brass fittings on the Adams hose. After quite a few uses though I noticed that it must be normal, leaks a bit when winding up the hose with the water supply turned off, but as soon as I turn the water on and the hose fills up it doesn't leak at all. Think there is some type of fitting inside the connector that seals up the connection when the hose is charged with water. Doesn't seem to leak as much after a handful of uses so I'm not worried about it

Nope, doesn't leak period at the connection to the hose reel. The rapid reel design has a nice curve to the hose where it connects to the inlet on the reel. The parts that leak are the brass fittings on the Adams hose. After quite a few uses though I noticed that it must be normal, leaks a bit when winding up the hose with the water supply turned off, but as soon as I turn the water on and the hose fills up it doesn't leak at all. Think there is some type of fitting inside the connector that seals up the connection when the hose is charged with water. Doesn't seem to leak as much after a handful of uses so I'm not worried about it

That is where I had the issue with leakage. On the hose itself. Not on the reel. Got rid of the reel and the leakage at the hose end went away.

With the swivtech fittings on the end some leaking after its been shut off is normal. The fitting spins, but the only way to maintain the seal is when the line is pressurized, when that pressure goes away the water will try to escape.

Bumping an older thread, is there a "minimum pressure" required to maintain this seal? Mine leaks when pressurized while I'm using it. It's not constant, and usually just an intermittent dribble, though every now and then it will squirt out a little bit. We do have well water though so our pressure isn't as high as some.

I get that leakage sometimes when moving the hose around but it has never been a constant leak either.

Same here, I have the 100ft hose and never seem to have this problem.

Bumping an older thread, is there a "minimum pressure" required to maintain this seal? Mine leaks when pressurized while I'm using it. It's not constant, and usually just an intermittent dribble, though every now and then it will squirt out a little bit. We do have well water though so our pressure isn't as high as some.

Honestly don't have a minimum pressure number, but if its inconsistently leaking some water I have to imagine its partly due to the well water pressure. I don't know much about well water, but I'd have to imagine the pressure fluctuates to some degree.

Yeah the biggest problem with well water is the lower pressure it runs at. I also think that it's why until I found the Adam's nozzle that most firehose nozzles are useless at my house. One time when our well pump died we ran a hose through the woods to a neighbor's house that has town water and even through that long stretch of hose the pressure was higher than our house normally has. As far as the hose leaking, it's really only annoying when it's cold out and the cold water on your hands is uncomfortable.

Figure I might as well give an update on my leaking as well. Have used the hose quite a few times now and it never leaks a drop once the water is on. After shutting the water off and letting the water out of the hose it leaks a decent amount, but never during usage.