Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove tar?

DwDrummer

Question

I'm about to start my paint correction on my new to me vehicle and and noticed today that there is alot of tar build up on my car. I tried using a clay bar with detail spray and didn't have much luck. I spoke with a dealer here and he advised me to try WD40 which it did speed up the process a little. I washed the whole car with dawn after the WD40 bath to make sure it was all removed. Is there any other easier way to move this mess:rockon: Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

12 answers to this question

Couple things I can think of. I would've normally said shoot it with some of Adam's APC straight, but if WD-40 is not removing it all, then I don't think all-purpose cleaner will be more effective. I would give goo gone a try (it's designed for sticky things like tar) or 3M adhesive remover.

If those don't work, I've heard great things about rustoleum's wax and tar remover.

A very last resort would be goof off, which you should handle with lots of care. It is used to strip paint transfer off, so if you let it sit for like 5 minutes it could damage your car's clear coat.

And a very very last resort is gasoline. This should only be used if everything above fails. Gasoline contains solvents in it that will just melt away tar. Hope that it doesn't go this far, but if it does, dip your towel in some gasoline, let it sit on the tar for about 30 seconds, wipe away, and rinse extremely well. Repeat as necessary.

Needless to say, once you start playing with chemicals, the proper safety techniques should be observed :)

There's a ton of tar removers on the market. I like using a 50/50 mix of APC and water. Do small sections, spray and let set but don't let it dry. Almost any citrus cleaner will brake up road tar.

My dads Camry was so bad the other day I decided I'd try something new. I sprayed my APC mix with the foaming sprayer on the worst spots. This thing was horrid. So while it was on There I broke out a clay bar and went to town. I was able to easily remove it and felt it was safe for the paint. Followed it up with a 2 bucket wash.

I try to keep his car waxed and protected when I come home. I could believe how bad it was.

Andrew how much clay is left from that.....any time ive ever used apc and it wasnt all wiped off it ate the clay up....lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It was in good shape and was still holding together when I was done. I started with APC then as it started to dry I added DS.

I did toss that clay when I was done.