Customer Service 866.965.0400

Check your jack stands

InDepthAutoDetailing

Seems odd. In looking at those pictures and thinking about it, I would think that those jack stands weren't in a complete straight up and down position. IMHO it almost appears that they had too much pressure (1) being at the highest position, and (2) pressure from load wasn't straight on. Something uneven where he had it positioned. If that makes sense. Another way to explain what I'am trying to say for those that didn't understand my first example. Hold a 10 pound bag of flour close to your body (pressure straight on position) it is easy to hold. Stick your arms out from your body and that 10 pounds feels considerably heavier.

Seems odd. In looking at those pictures and thinking about it, I would think that those jack stands weren't in a complete straight up and down position. IMHO it almost appears that they had too much pressure (1) being at the highest position, and (2) pressure from load wasn't straight on. Something uneven where he had it positioned. If that makes sense. Another way to explain what I'am trying to say for those that didn't understand my first example. Hold a 10 pound bag of flour close to your body (pressure straight on position) it is easy to hold. Stick your arms out from your body and that 10 pounds feels considerably heavier.

Plus, I'm sure the user applying lots of torque in various directions while taking the suspension apart put all kinds of directional pressures on that stand. I never would have used a lighter stand like that at that extreme limit of extension, and I also would have stacked the wheels under the body just to give the car something to fall down onto, just in case. You can never be too careful when working under a car.

Plus, I'm sure the user applying lots of torque in various directions while taking the suspension apart put all kinds of directional pressures on that stand. I never would have used a lighter stand like that at that extreme limit of extension, and I also would have stacked the wheels under the body just to give the car something to fall down onto, just in case. You can never be too careful when working under a car.

There you go, being all sensible again.:lolsmack:

and I also would have stacked the wheels under the body just to give the car something to fall down onto, just in case. You can never be too careful when working under a car.

Best advice!! I work in my garage with the door closed, if a car pinned me, it would be days before someone came looking for me. I try to keep my phone and truck keys (parked outside, panic button) close to me.

-Carl

Yep, I agree. Stand was not flat on the floor. It was tipping inward putting severe pressure on the opposing stand. at a angle that was not straight up and down with the stand.

Can't watch the video (takes to long on a phone to load) but another thing to think about is the load rating of the jack stands, you don't want to use some rated for a car on a work truck full of tools (MSHA instructor/inspector told about a mine site where someone was using jack stands meant for a light passenger car on a 2ton work truck loaded with tools and a welder, and the jack stands where buckelling)

that's pretty scary! i don't own jack stands, but do have a set of ramps for oil changes. i need to get a beefier set for my truck. even though the weight rating holds it up, they set i have was made for cars, and i know they have stronger ones for trucks.

i'll be sure to check them for any stress cracks before their next use.