Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT applicator for tires

04silverado

Question

Okay, so the last few weeks I have noticed that the applicator has felt somewhat "greasy". I try my best to always clean my tires with APC before applying be VRT and after applying the VRT I wash out with APC. Recently, there has been this black gooey crap coming off the applicator not like the applicator is coming apart but like gunky dirty VRT almost. This Sunday I soaked te applicator in all purpose cleaner for a while and agitated it with my hand and alot of that gunk came up but when I press the applicator onto a shop towel it's pure black and greasy looking and there's still some crap coming out. Is there another way to clean these applicators? Do they have a lifespan? I've had it for a while but don't use it to terribly often and I'm applying it on new tires.

:help:

11 answers to this question

What you are experiencing is normal. I just use a little APC and wash out in relatively hot water, squeeze dry and then place on a clean shop paper towel (face down) in the cabinet with the supplies. I no longer try to get it perfectly clean but realize it will always be dirty, so it is only used on the tires or wheel wells.

From time to time it'll be necessary to replace the pro-tire applicator. Since tires are vulcanized rubber they transfer a black residue, even when completely clean, then with the buildup of SVRT in the foam it turns into the black sludge you're describing.

I usually get thru about 4-6 months with one on my truck before it starts to need to be tossed and replaced.

From time to time it'll be necessary to replace the pro-tire applicator. Since tires are vulcanized rubber they transfer a black residue, even when completely clean, then with the buildup of SVRT in the foam it turns into the black sludge you're describing.

I usually get thru about 4-6 months with one on my truck before it starts to need to be tossed and replaced.

Damn, I just put an order in tonight and I ordered one of the pro applicators. I wish I would have seen this post before hand. I might have ordered two.

Thanks for posting.

Just pat it on a paper towel and store it face down on a clean paper towel. No need to waste APC trying to clean it. Like the others said, replace every 6 months or so.

I've noticed this too. I clean mine very thoroughly and sometimes they are only used 2-3 times before they start to get this feeling. I accidentally left a clean one that was dry on a piece of carpet in the garage and it make a huge stain. I never noticed this problem with the old VRT.

Yes, the buildup of "black goo" is normal. I use mine practically every day and multiple times on many days. Here's the problem I've noticed if you let too much "goo" build up. The tires will have a slightly gooey feel. The "goo" never dries and if you run your finger across the tires, your finger will be black. They look good, but we all know and love how the VRT dries almost completely to the touch. Keeping the applicator cleaner will help this continue. I try to get most of the "black goo" out of mine every couple of weeks or so and will replace it with a new one probably once every couple of months.

- Darryl