Customer Service 866.965.0400

When to detail spray when to WW?

FarbeyondDriven

Question

Hey guys. I was wondering when to use the detail spray and when to use the waterless wash.

Every so often when im bored i like to drive my car up to the self car wash, and just vacuum it out, maybe dress the tires/trim, condition the leather etc.

My question is when i do this, can i run around and hit the car with some detail spray and a microfiber towel? Or does the paint need to be 100% clean? If the car is just dusty or has a little bit of dirt here and there, do i need waterless wash the entire car then go around and use the detail spray, or can i just start right off with the detail spray?

I know if its been weeks from my last car wash im not going to do this, but lets say i washed my truck in the morning, then i drove around all day. Night time comes and i want to shine it up a bit? Detail spray or waterless wash?

17 answers to this question

Hey guys. I was wondering when to use the detail spray and when to use the waterless wash.

Every so often when im bored i like to drive my car up to the self car wash, and just vacuum it out, maybe dress the tires/trim, condition the leather etc.

My question is when i do this, can i run around and hit the car with some detail spray and a microfiber towel? Or does the paint need to be 100% clean? If the car is just dusty or has a little bit of dirt here and there, do i need waterless wash the entire car then go around and use the detail spray, or can i just start right off with the detail spray?

I know if its been weeks from my last car wash im not going to do this, but lets say i washed my truck in the morning, then i drove around all day. Night time comes and i want to shine it up a bit? Detail spray or waterless wash?

i had this same question. I washed my car yesterday. it rained last night and dis morning. there is no dirt on my car but I didnt know if I should go DS or WW then DS

You've gotta be careful around the lower panels and the rear end of the car. I've noticed, especially on the back, heavy dust and dirt particles accumulate. Particles that are definitely large enough to induce scratches.

You've gotta be careful around the lower panels and the rear end of the car. I've noticed, especially on the back, heavy dust and dirt particles accumulate. Particles that are definitely large enough to induce scratches.

yes I noticed that before when I got out of work. the hood, roof, and doors were fine, but when i looked at the trunk and lower sides of the car you saw more dirt ( common sense). I just didn't know if WW or DS would do the job.

i had this same question. I washed my car yesterday. it rained last night and dis morning. there is no dirt on my car but I didnt know if I should go DS or WW then DS

Waterless Wash. If the car didn't move (wet streets), you could probably get away with DS, but rain isn't necessarily clean water, and if you've got WW that's what it's for.

so detail spray is pretty much for garage queens. I guess ill just be using it as a drying agent

Detail spray is used for several things...not just on a garage queen.

Clay lube

Drying agent

Light dust removal

Fingerprint, smudges, streak removal

Polishing pad primer

Final wipe after wash

One thing it should not be used for is heavy dust, dirt or road grime removal.

I made the mistake when I first got my car of using it for heavier dirt and debris and even bugs. I now have the swirls to show for it. It wasn't this detail spray though, just FYI. It was Mothers or Meguire's. I have since moved on from those anyway lol

I have one of those, just never used it much.. now is a good time to start :)

it was doing its job of "collecting dust" in the shed lol only used it once or twice

I only use my Cali duster for dusting ceiling fan blades and such around the house. Will NOT use it on my paint EVER.

The purists will say: Detail spray,in this setting, is only for gloss enhancement on freshly cleaned paint finishes. Waterless Wash is for removing any dust or VERY LIGHT dirt accumulations. Otherwiswe, :pc: