Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I pull the trigger on the flex?

hemi1300

Question

I know the thread about porter cable vs flex has been beaten to death, but trying to decide if I should make the upgrade to the flex. Have had the porter cable for about a year now and used it a handful of times, seems to do a good job but my main complaint is it seems to take forever to get the paint pretty close to perfect. Vehicles I will be working on are my 07 dodge ram and the wife's 12 jeep grand Cherokee, both are black!! The jeep is her daily driver, my truck is mainly garage kept. Just got our tax return, and notice the flex is now $380 with the upgrade kit, so a little discount. Is there any more risk of paint damage using the flex for a somewhat newbie? That's my main fear, using a polisher and going right through the clear

19 answers to this question

I know the thread about porter cable vs flex has been beaten to death, but trying to decide if I should make the upgrade to the flex. Have had the porter cable for about a year now and used it a handful of times, seems to do a good job but my main complaint is it seems to take forever to get the paint pretty close to perfect. Vehicles I will be working on are my 07 dodge ram and the wife's 12 jeep grand Cherokee, both are black!! The jeep is her daily driver, my truck is mainly garage kept. Just got our tax return, and notice the flex is now $380 with the upgrade kit, so a little discount. Is there any more risk of paint damage using the flex for a somewhat newbie? That's my main fear, using a polisher and going right through the clear

I didn't need a flex, but I got one a few months ago and really like it. Not only does it make paint correction faster and easier, it's a beautifully made tool. I can't imagine you'd regret getting one. :cheers:

My main problem with the pc was, of course it seemed to take forever, and certain swirled area I had to make 5 or 6 passes and still couldn't get it perfect. This was the first time my truck has been touched with a polisher in 5 years though. Throughout the winter it has stayed pretty much swirl free, might just need a quick correction come spring.

I just got my Flex last week. Was not sure if I needed it. Not that I am in a hurry on my jobs. If you have a business where you are at it all the time, I would say with out a doubt you will benefit greatly from it.

But I will say I do love that thing. I have my PC set up for 4" pads. I have use it 2 times so far and love it.

It really is on your budget, do not kill your self getting it. But if you can pick it up, then it is really a bonus for you to have. Plus you have the 110% deal from Adams in case something happens to it. That is Gold right there. :2thumbs::cheers: You will like it having it. Hope that helps with out telling you to buy something just to buy it.. :pc:

Well, for any correction to happen when using the Flex, yes you need to pull the trigger :jester:

All joking aside. I'm in the same boat, but came to an agreement with my brother that when I correct his BLACK Escalade EXT that he's going to buy the flex for me as a partial payment and to use on his truck.

Now is the perfect time to pull your trigger. It's priced lower than when I bought mine a couple of weeks ago plus it comes with a pad cleaning brush. It's a no brainer. It's a well made polisher and very nice to use compared to the PC. Way less vibration to go along with the faster correction.

Thanks for the help. Will clear it with the wife and hopefully order it this weekend. She loves it when she checks the bank account and comes to me "what the hell did u order from Adams again, don't u have enough cleaning products". Lol

Thanks for the help. Will clear it with the wife and hopefully order it this weekend. She loves it when she checks the bank account and comes to me "what the hell did u order from Adams again, don't u have enough cleaning products". Lol

Ask her what "enough" really means when it comes to Adam's products. :D

My wife must know your wife????? Same thing I hear. :lol:

My wife must know your wife????? Same thing I hear. :lol:

Lol, should've seen the look on her face when she was out of town one Saturday night and I told her I got a 12 pack of beer and watched the whole adams how to video for 3 or 4 hours

Time for a second bank account. :lolsmack:

:cheers:Get the flex you won't be sorry. You won't screw up anything unless you do something stupid or don't follow the recommened speeds with the proper procedures. Like not paying attention it might walk on you. I never ran a polisher in my life and I went right to the flex cause I couldn't justify buying the porter cable just to upgrade for more power and speed later. Go right to the horses head not his *** don't waste your money on both unless you can afford it.[if you buy the porter you'll end up getting the flex too] Just buy it.Remember though I watched and studied every video and proper procedure down to the correct pads to speeds, to microfiber towels and I recommend you do the same. GOOD LUCK:rockon:

Lol, should've seen the look on her face when she was out of town one Saturday night and I told her I got a 12 pack of beer and watched the whole adams how to video for 3 or 4 hours

Hey Look here, Now that is funny I don't care who you are. :lolsmack::lolsmack:

My wife wasn't a happy camper when it arrived .. She got over it knowing the deal I received using my B-day discount on top of a special they were having on it last year. Plus I promised a complete detail on her accord.

Jump on the deal they are offering now. Just tell her the Flex will always help to make her car look new.

almost ready for the purchase tonight, my only worry holding me back is risk of damaging the paint since it's quite a bit more powerful than the pc. Sometimes i can take things a little too far and be somewhat ocd with things, just worried i would get too carried away with the flex and end up going right through the clear. As long as i use common sense and don't hold it on speed 6 in the exact same spot for a while using firm pressure, i should be safe, right? Was also terrified to try the porter cable before i got it, bc this was the first polisher i have ever used in my life, but i feel safe with the pc bc i can literally hold it right on the paint in one spot and not worry about damage

I am about as crazy as you are. Got mine last week and tried it today. I just had to give it a try. Had just a short time so I did half the hood on my camero. I started out with the orange pad, used approx 3 pounds pressure then went to the fine polish. The entire ordeal lasted maybe 8 minutes. I removed 50 percent of the swirls not using the green pad. I had to just get a feel of the machine. I TRULEY cannot believe someone can burn through the clear unless you really abuse the process. Don't worry you won't. If you hold a valid drivers license and did not cheat on the test you will have no problems.

The machine is very smooth and has little vibration. You can actually feel the quality,,,,, I am very impresses. I will start over in the morning until finished. ,,,,,,, Wayne