Customer Service 866.965.0400

Full detail.. How often?

Wgeffon

Question

How often are you guys doing a full detail? Wash, clay, polish, sealant, wax..

My wife has a new CRV and I will have a new car as well in a few weeks.

My plan is to do a full detail on both of these cars ASAP but after that, what's the typical time frame before it all gets done again?

And, what are you guys doing in between full details?

Wash and what else is the best thing to be doing in between the full details.

19 answers to this question

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Depends on the storage, use and care of the car. A properly washed daily driver shouldn't need it more than 1-2x a year. A garage queen should almost never require it other than a touch up now/then.

How the car is treated in the wash process is the catalyst. A 2-bucket wash with a clean fresh wash pad, proper drying technique (study the water sheeting method of rinsing to aid in drying), use of detail spray as a drying agent and using properly cared for microfiber towel will minimize the need for paint correction/polishing.

I check the surface with a baggy once a month after a wash/dry and see if they need claying. If so.. Then I clay, seal. Next wash I glaze and use Americana. That lasts a few months with proper wash technique.

Hope this helps.

Edited by KicktoTheJunk

I will do mine when I notice that the water isn't beading well anymore. For example I did a full detail on my DD back in October if I remember right. The water wasn't beading well after all the abuse it has gone thru this winter. It was a heavy winter here. About a month ago I did a strip wash, and did everything by hand. No paint correction however (machine). Clay bar, Swirl and Haze Remover, Revive, Quick Sealant then some Americana. It should hold me over till Spring when I can do a full correction. So for me it would be 3 times a year on that car. The other two I do in the spring and late fall. They aren't driven as much however. In between I do the 2 bucket washes, and top everything off with some SVRT. May even add another coat of Americana and some BG in between.

BTW. My DD is a CR-V as well. I got the AWD version and love that thing in the snow. I had a Tundra as my DD at one time, and with the CR-V I save $150 bucks a month in gas. Easy and fast to clean up as well in comparison to a full size pickup.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

2 bucket washing and detailing spray before drying is what I normally do.

My cars are always in pretty good shape but, I am learning a ton on this site about the other stuff that needs to be done on occasion.

Spent a lot of money today at Adam's but I know it will be worth it.

1-2 times a year... depends on if it needs any correction. when i do, i do 1 layer of sealant, 1 BG, then 1 americana coat; and each quarter i'll add a layer of BG and americana.

right now is the perfect time of year to do it. not too hot, not too cold, and 6 months from now will be the perfect time to do the same before winter hits.

right now is the perfect time of year to do it. not too hot, not too cold, and 6 months from now will be the perfect time to do the same before winter hits.

Maybe in Texas, Still a little cold here in Delaware and I would think also in Illinois where Wayne is.:lolsmack:

Depends on the storage, use and care of the car. A properly washed daily driver shouldn't need it more than 1-2x a year. A garage queen should almost never require it other than a touch up now/then.

How the car is treated in the wash process is the catalyst. A 2-bucket wash with a clean fresh wash pad, proper drying technique (study the water sheeting method of rinsing to aid in drying), use of detail spray as a drying agent and using properly cared for microfiber towel will minimize the need for paint correction/polishing.

I check the surface with a baggy once a month after a wash/dry and see if they need claying. If so.. Then I clay, seal. Next wash I glaze and use Americana. That lasts a few months with proper wash technique.

Hope this helps.

I did my truck last February and have been wanting to do it again. It's a garage queen as is my car so it still beads up nicely and the paint is smooth. I will likely do something as far as strip washing and resealing soon. Therapy courtesy of Adam's products. :burnout: