Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex and dusting

GaryW

Question

Tried out the Flex on a Black Impala 2012 this weekend. I got a lot of dusting right off the get go.. Tried everything I Know, looked at videos, read the forums on it. Maybe I did not get all the wax off the car in the strip wash. used Dawn and APC.. made it alittle stronger than I wanted but figured what the heck will not harm.

If wax was still on car will it kind of cake up the pad a little especially on edges? I even tried changing pads and even applying less product to start with.. I do not use alot at all to begin with... Hit it with DS and try again.

Any advice will be helpful... Temp out was about 48.

:help::help:

Too much product?

I am guessing so,,, I put just a little on it with some DS. I might have to try even less.. Just 3 small drops pea size is what I had on it.

What is the best way to make sure you have stripped all was off the car. I am still thinkin maybe some was left on...

How often are you adding product to the pad? Many times you can just hit the pad with DS and reactivate the polish.

I had just started on the hood, brand new pad that came with the flex and all. I guess I will have to play with it.....

Thanks

Was the Swirl and Haze dusting or only the severe? What speed were you working on?[/QUOT

SSR did alot,,, The SHR did some... By then I was ready to throw some things.. first time really working with the Flex... When I use the PC not bad at all,. so I must have some technique with the Flex off or something.

Do you think the amount of pressure being applied may of had something to do with it versus the pressure you're used to using with the PC?

Just curious to know if you tried various techniques with different pressures during the process since the Flex is more powerful.

Do you think the amount of pressure being applied may of had something to do with it versus the pressure you're used to using with the PC?

Just curious to know if you tried various techniques with different pressures during the process since the Flex is more powerful.

Have not yet,,, but will when I get home today... I know a few times it was like it wanted to pull or Walk on the car..... :patriot:

To much product just hit the pad with detail spray and you'll be fine. Don't keep adding on the pad to much build up.

Going with that. Also too much force will make the flex walk/run away.

IME, dusting happens for a few reasons:

1) Too much product

2) Too little product (seems counter intuitive but does happen)

3) Not clean enough pads (can be disregarded as you stated that they were new pads)

4) Improper technique (more on that below)

5) Humidity (yup plays a huge role in dusting in my experience)

6) Panel Temperatures

7a) Curvature or shape of panel (if your pad is half on the panel and half off because of the shape of the panel, it will most likely dust)

7b) Seams in the panels, ie if you are working around a door seam, I find that compounds and polishes are more likely to dust than on a continuous panel.

8) Pressure on polisher

You said that this was the first time you've used the flex, and you came from the PC. Right off the bat, what I'm thinking is too high speed. In my opinion with the PC, the sweet spot is 5.5 to 6, while with the flex it is 3.5 to 4.5. Of course, sometimes you need to be out of that range, but again this is what I think the "sweet spot" of the machines are. Try lowering your speed, if you were on 5 or 6 on the Flex, and see if that helps.

And as Ralf said above, cleaning the pads is very important!

Hope this helps :)

P.S. I wouldn't use detail spray or water to "reactivate" the polish. That would fall into improper technique in my opinion.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

At the two detail clinics I attended Adam talked about reactivating the products. Do others agree with that? I'm kind of new to machine stuff but used this technique and it seemed ok.

At the two detail clinics I attended Adam talked about reactivating the products. Do others agree with that? I'm kind of new to machine stuff but used this technique and it seemed ok.

I believe that is the method that they advise. I don't personally agree with it, but yeah I'm pretty sure that's the stance they take.

I would rather use new pads, or clean the pads and apply new polish to the pad, than put detail spray or water onto the face of the pad.

Different ways to climb the mountain :thumbsup:

Edited by ihaveacamaro

IME, dusting happens for a few reasons:

1) Too much product

2) Too little product (seems counter intuitive but does happen)

3) Not clean enough pads (can be disregarded as you stated that they were new pads)

4) Improper technique (more on that below)

5) Humidity (yup plays a huge role in dusting in my experience)

6) Panel Temperatures

7a) Curvature or shape of panel (if your pad is half on the panel and half off because of the shape of the panel, it will most likely dust)

7b) Seams in the panels, ie if you are working around a door seam, I find that compounds and polishes are more likely to dust than on a continuous panel.

8) Pressure on polisher

You said that this was the first time you've used the flex, and you came from the PC. Right off the bat, what I'm thinking is too high speed. In my opinion with the PC, the sweet spot is 5.5 to 6, while with the flex it is 3.5 to 4.5. Of course, sometimes you need to be out of that range, but again this is what I think the "sweet spot" of the machines are. Try lowering your speed, if you were on 5 or 6 on the Flex, and see if that helps.

And as Ralf said above, cleaning the pads is very important!

Hope this helps :)

P.S. I wouldn't use detail spray or water to "reactivate" the polish. That would fall into improper technique in my opinion.

Will try that on the speed. Sounds good. I had it on 5 and 6 using the trigger to slow it down. Thanks for info :cheers::cheers:

I agree with it. It works for me.

I can tell you this much. Compounds will dust a lot more, than polishes. An example is M****** M105 vs M205. I use both and M105 will dry out faster and dusts more.

Using DS with less minimize the the dusting. I do not add new product on every panel (or half), rather I spray DS to rejuvenate the product on the pad. Clean your pads as often as possible as well.