Customer Service 866.965.0400

Very stupid question !!

WayneZito

Question

14 answers to this question

I have searched the web for the last hour and read that the lowest number was the active ingredient ,,,,,However I found two other references that claim just the opposite !!!!!! That's when I posted,, lol. I know that a 50:1 mix in a outboard is 50 parts gas and 1part oil. But I think a mix and a dilution is different.

I have searched the web for the last hour and read that the lowest number was the active ingredient ,,,,,However I found two other references that claim just the opposite !!!!!! That's when I posted,, lol. I know that a 50:1 mix in a outboard is 50 parts gas and 1part oil. But I think a mix and a dilution is different.

To me that would be the same as stated above. The active ingredient is the oil in this case.

Also I don't think there is ever a "Very stupid"question.

Edited by BluedogGMC

Forgive me for being picky, It's a pet peeve of mine so let me also say this.

The active ingredient always goes first. It's not supposed to ever be the other way around, and I don't know how it propagated on the internet, but it seems most people always do something like 5:1 or 10:1.

It is supposed to be labeled 1:5 or 1:10, not the other way around.

For dilutions:

1:10 means 1 part active ingredient to 10 parts diluent or 11 parts total.

1/10 means 1 part active ingredient to 10-1 or 9 parts diluent to make 10 parts total.

Sorry for the rant, just a pet peeve of mine :help:

I just called Ashley,,, she said 5:1 means 5 parts water and 1 part active ingredient Actually I don't think it is right. From the beginning outboard motor oil says 50:1. That means 50 gas and 1 part oil.

This is true. The gas is the dilution liquid just like the water would be the dilution liquid. Hence 5 to 1 or 5:1

You would not use all oil.