Customer Service 866.965.0400

Boat detail

GaryW

Question

Owner the company I work for is looking for me to detail his boat.. :pc:

Might be alittle over my head. Here are a few photos of it.

Mike what do you think? Told boss would see but no promises. :cheers:

Not in bad shape, but is dirty. Especially the inside of the boat, white leather looks like.

photo_zps4dc55776.jpg

photo_zps0b858e8a.jpg

photo_zps921d595c.jpg

The inside is white leather? The art work on the outside... Is it painted on with Emron (sp?) paint?

The seats outside look like marine vinyl. Diluted APC works best on it, followed by SVRT, let sit and then do a wipe down. The gelcoat likes heat so most use a rotary, but the paint while hard will like a flex. Use MSS and it should last!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

The inside is white leather? The art work on the outside... Is it painted on with Emron (sp?) paint?

The seats outside look like marine vinyl. Diluted APC works best on it, followed by SVRT, let sit and then do a wipe down. The gelcoat likes heat so most use a rotary, but the paint while hard will like a flex. Use MSS and it should last!

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

I guess it is marine vinyl. The owner had said something about leather, but that would not work. I think that it is a wrap on the boat,, there are a few places that look like it is bubbled up. I will try to inspect it today. Sits in out shop.

Thanks Chewy :2thumbs:

Wow, that is a lot of paint!

You are not kidding, It would be alot of work... :help:

Is the paint chalky?

Will have to look at it some more, It has been sitting for a little bit. See if I can get some close up shots of it when sun comes up.

charge by the foot!

That is what I was thinking, never done a boat let alone one like this.. any ideas on what kind of rate by the foot?

:patriot:

if you do it, make sure to charge accordingly, I do boats but your amount of time can be insane if its a bad boat. That one looks very nice though, but as chris said all that is what I would recommend as well.

It has been sitting for awhile out of water... They are just now working on the engines getting the running and tuned up. I am going to talk to him more this morning get some more skinny on it.... :rockon::2thumbs:

Gary, that is a lot of boat to detail. Without A rotary, I wouldn't want to tackle that project. Also, most boats are fiberglass which will then be coated by gel coat. Gel coats tend to like heat, so another reason to use rotary.

I wouldn't want to do that project for less than 25-30 a foot. You will be using a ton of product, and it will take a lot of time.

I asked him about it again yesterday, they are getting some things on the engines worked out then he wants it detailed up.

Mike was telling me about the Gel-Coat also. I can take care of the inside and the sitting areas all. Still the rest of the boat is something different. But this has led to his DD getting done. It is a Cadillac Escalade Extended. See what happens here. His daughter has a Cadillac XLR. :pc:

I asked him about it again yesterday, they are getting some things on the engines worked out then he wants it detailed up.

Mike was telling me about the Gel-Coat also. I can take care of the inside and the sitting areas all. Still the rest of the boat is something different. But this has led to his DD getting done. It is a Cadillac Escalade Extended. See what happens here. His daughter has a Cadillac XLR. :pc:

Man you moved from a boat, to well, a car that is normally called a boat lmao!

Have fun, and I really hope it isn't black! :D

P.S. This guy sounds like a good client.... and a nice way to let your flex pay for itself :thumbsup:

Man you moved from a boat, to well, a car that is normally called a boat lmao!

Have fun, and I really hope it isn't black! :D

P.S. This guy sounds like a good client.... and a nice way to let your flex pay for itself :thumbsup:

LMAO:: They got alot of vehicles,,, But on the stingy side with the green backs.. It is a gold Caddy. The XLR is red. :patriot:

I can tell you that I did some gelcoat repair work a few days ago on my boat. I sanded it with 400,600,1000 and then hit it with shr and revive (forgot my fmp) on the 4" focus pads. Not only did it do a great job but it really woke up the gelcoat.

I would be VERY careful using any APC around that vinyl wrap on the exterior. I was using APC to remove random scuff marks and I went across the vinyl decal on the side of my hull and it started lifting color right from it.

For the cowling treat it just like a car. Strip, clay, polish,etc. that surface isn't gel coat and is regular paint. My cowling looks amazing after a full correction. Good luck

LMAO:: They got alot of vehicles,,, But on the stingy side with the green backs.. It is a gold Caddy. The XLR is red. :patriot:

200 dolla make you holla. Don't do stingy. If they have the money to buy and upgrade the vehicles and boat, they have the money to pay the man that Adamizes said items. Just tell the boss that your time is valuable. :2thumbs:

I already let him know it will cost. Four Arms,, 3.5 legs, and the boat one weekend during the summer.... :jester::jester:

I got to charge accordingly. He wants it cleaned up, sealant on it (the cars). Not worried about being swirl free. I know my skill set is not worthy of top dollar yet that is.. :pc: So I charge what should be good rate. I told him 150.00 to hit it. He even kinda winced at that. Told him nothing for free here :lol:

The boat is a few weeks out before he will be ready to get her done or discuss it. And I am not sure I will even attempt unless money is right and i get someone who know much more than I do. :help: so I am trying to get the cars for now. :2thumbs::burnout:

I already let him know it will cost. Four Arms,, 3.5 legs, and the boat one weekend during the summer.... :jester::jester:

I got to charge accordingly. He wants it cleaned up, sealant on it (the cars). Not worried about being swirl free. I know my skill set is not worthy of top dollar yet that is.. :pc: So I charge what should be good rate. I told him 150.00 to hit it. He even kinda winced at that. Told him nothing for free here :lol:

The boat is a few weeks out before he will be ready to get her done or discuss it. And I am not sure I will even attempt unless money is right and i get someone who know much more than I do. :help: so I am trying to get the cars for now. :2thumbs::burnout:

Just let him know that he won't find a better price or quality for your services. If he wants to play, he sho nuff has to pay. :jester:

That sure is cheap for a 38ft fountain. Looking at the big wrap you will probably be doing a lot of work with the 4" pads. Try using fmp to start if the gel isn't that chalky, will save you from having to go over the whole boat again with fmp if you start with shr.

That sure is cheap for a 38ft fountain. Looking at the big wrap you will probably be doing a lot of work with the 4" pads. Try using fmp to start if the gel isn't that chalky, will save you from having to go over the whole boat again with fmp if you start with shr.

The 150 was for the Escalade,, wash clay maybe hit with FMP once and little sealant. Nothing Fancy.. Not working on boat for that price,,, No dice over here. :lolsmack: